• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Toku

Major Contributor
It looks like we don't need to talk about MQA anymore.

MQA filed for bankruptcy on April 3.
It seems that there will be no supply of new MQA sound sources to the market in the future.

If you search the web for "MQA bankruptcy" for more information on this matter, you will find a lot of information.

Topping may have gotten this information early and released non-MQA models such as the DX5 Lite and D90LE.

CauliflowerEars

I've upgraded from E30 II to E50 and been quite happy (I think there's about 20% difference).
BUT, I'm not sure, if I'm using the E50 to its full potential, so have 3 questions:

1) I am playing 'Master' (MQA) tracks on Tidal HiFi Plus (through USB on the laptop app). The E50 manual says there should be 3 possible indications: MQA./MQA/OFS. None of them are displaying. Does this mean I am not actually playing MQA?
2) Is there any actual difference in the 'DAC Mode' VS 'Pre-amp Mode'? I am currently controlling volume with the E50's remote, so I assume I'm in the Pre-amp mode.
3) Is it possible to check the sample rate with the remote? The E50 is showing only volume.
Thank you for your input. And hopefully great ... output! :)

Photo of my E50 display:
94E17116-B676-4B97-B8AD-AFD11BF93585.jpeg

Turambar

Maybe you are not activating the Exclusive flag in the Tidal application running in your laptop?. With this and fixed volume it should work, I guess.

JediMa

I'm quite new to this so I'm not sure if I need 2 cables like this one EXAMPLE to connect L50 to E50 with TRS ports. In case it's wrong what should I use? I need short cables like 30 cm

Thank you

staticV3

Master Contributor
@JediMa Yes, those cables will work fine.

Edit: if you're looking for something locally, Cordial has a variety of TRS->TRS cables. For example, Cordial CFM 0.3 VV

Last edited:

JediMa

@JediMa Yes, those cables will work fine.

Edit: if you're looking for something locally, Cordial has a variety of TRS->TRS cables. For example, Cordial CFM 0.3 VV
Thank you very much! SO I need 2 of them, both mono for each channel?

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After many months, I still play the E50 with caution and trepidation. It is almost midnight, tomorrow I must work early, but Ludovico Einaudi has captured me, through my IEMs…I am at risk of going on for the whole album…impeccable function and music quality of the E50 through HPA L30 II and $49 Truthear IEMs…wow

cmwolf

The poor translation for the product details of the Topping E50 is confusing, so I would appreciate if someone who owns one could assist me.

I am wanting a DAC that will auto-switch inputs based on the source. I am planning on primarily using a WiiM Pro for airplay streaming via optical, and occasionally a CD player via coaxial. I am aware that there is an auto on/off function. Will this automatically change to the coaxial or optical input based on whichever is sending a signal? Or will the auto on/off simply turn it on if the current source is active?

In other words, which scenario will the E50 do:

1) E50 is playing optical. After a lack of use, it shuts down. Later on a coaxial signal sends a signal to the E50. It turns back on and starts playing from the coaxial.

2) E50 is playing optical. After a lack of use, it shuts down. The auto-on feature is only scanning for an optical signal, since that was the last source used. A coaxial signal plays but it won’t turn the E50 back on.

Also, what is the delay time in turning back on when it detects a signal? Is it pretty instantaneous or a noticeable delay between receiving a signal to turning on and sending audio to the speakers?

Toku

Major Contributor
The poor translation for the product details of the Topping E50 is confusing, so I would appreciate if someone who owns one could assist me.

I am wanting a DAC that will auto-switch inputs based on the source. I am planning on primarily using a WiiM Pro for airplay streaming via optical, and occasionally a CD player via coaxial. I am aware that there is an auto on/off function. Will this automatically change to the coaxial or optical input based on whichever is sending a signal? Or will the auto on/off simply turn it on if the current source is active?

1) E50 is playing optical. After a lack of use, it shuts down. Later on a coaxial signal sends a signal to the E50. It turns back on and starts playing from the coaxial.

2) E50 is playing optical. After a lack of use, it shuts down. The auto-on feature is only scanning for an optical signal, since that was the last source used. A coaxial signal plays but it won’t turn the E50 back on.

Also, what is the delay time in turning back on when it detects a signal? Is it pretty instantaneous or a noticeable delay between receiving a signal to turning on and sending audio to the speakers?
I am not aware of any DAC products with such functionality. I don't think they are sold in the market.

Scalpo

I suppose it works as the D90 so option 1

cmwolf

I am not aware of any DAC products with such functionality. I don't think they are sold in the market.
The RME ADI-2 does, for quite a bit more. Given how the buttons on budget electronics wear out, I just want something that is ideally no-touch given my minimal needs.

I suppose it works as the D90 so option 1

Ah, that is good to hear! Is there much of a delay, or is it pretty quick to turn on/adjust to the source?

JediMa

So I got the DAC today, I used 2 trs to trs cables from e50 and L50 but i dont have any sound, on the screen I have USB and BAL. What I'm doing wrong?

JediMa

staticV3

Master Contributor
@JediMa do you have a multimeter on hand to check whether it's the E50 or L50 that's not working?

JediMa

staticV3

Master Contributor
No I don't, I wonder if I should set something on the dac
-make sure that on your PC, the E50 is set as the active output device
-make sure that on your PC, the volume is turned up
-set your E50 Input to USB
-set your E50 Output to "O-2" or "O-3"
-the E50 has a Mute function on the remote. Make sure it's not turned on.
-if your E50 is set to "m-p" output (preamp mode), make sure that the volume isn't turned way down on the D50S.

If you've done all that and there's still no sound, then I would try another USB cable.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think I do.
Never tried this, what should I do?
Plug one of the TRS cables into the E50 output. Leave the other end unplugged.
Play a 60Hz sine wave on your PC with the E50 set as the output device.
For this, you can use REW or any music player with this test tone: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/underwhelmed-by-topping-l30….41802/post-1478896

If you're using the test tone, make sure that playback is set to loop.

Now, set your multimeter to AC Volts, and with one probe touch the tip of the unplugged 1/4" plug, and with the other probe, touch the middle ring of the plug. You should see 4.2-4.3V displayed on the multimeter, if playback is bit-perfect and the E50 is set to full volume.

JediMa

-make sure that on your PC, the E50 is set as the active output device
-make sure that on your PC, the volume is turned up
-set your E50 Input to USB
-set your E50 Output to "O-2" or "O-3"
-the E50 has a Mute function on the remote. Make sure it's not turned on.
-if your E50 is set to "m-p" output (preamp mode), make sure that the volume isn't turned way down on the D50S.

If you've done all that and there's still no sound, then I would try another USB cable.
tried.. no difference. All works perfectly with RCA

Top Bottom