• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Overseas

Major Contributor
I own an E30, quite a late batch, no problems.
I am looking to get also an E50, the only reservation being the malfunction issues. Will there be an E50 II?

AbidingDude

I just picked up an E50, I plan to run a CD transport through it, and grabbed a Topping BC3 BT to go with it. Are there any dedicated stream boxes that would have bypass-able or no DACs that would be a good match for the e50? I am thinking something that supports high resolution files.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just picked up an E50, I plan to run a CD transport through it, and grabbed a Topping BC3 BT to go with it. Are there any dedicated stream boxes that would have bypass-able or no DACs that would be a good match for the e50? I am thinking something that supports high resolution files.
I see a Topping streamer, it tempts me, however I am waiting for Amir to test it before considering it.

Blew

A fantastic and cheap option is a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer, Moode, or Ropieee, depending on what you want to stream from. Output to the E50 via USB.

AbidingDude

e50 or d10 balanced?
Is there any point spending the extra doll hairs?
ESS9038Q2m vs ESS9068AS

Q2M is a 2 channel DAC, 68AS is 8 channel, which I think allows for error correction/resampling for the other 6 redundant channels. I'm kind of stupid though, so I could very well be wrong.

Measurements wise they're both I think beyond the capability of our ears to really comprehend the difference. I chose the E50 over the D10 for the extra choice of outputs and (I think, although I am sure one of the EE majors here will correct me, because of the correction/resampling due to the extra channels) the higher bit rate and DSD capabilities.

Last edited:

Filio45

Using my E50 for the first time in a while and first updated to V1.07 firmware from 1.06. On doing so, it seems if I press the M on the remote, then it stays in preamp mode and refuses to go into DAC mode. Pretty sure I would have used DAC mode in the past when it was still on 1.06, although I cannot remember for sure if I did, as it was used mainly in preamp mode back then. Connected to a windows 10 pc via latest 5.45 driver. Output is RCA to a headamp, and set to RCA only.

Am I missing something (likely) or could there be a fault?

nsfgp

Using my E50 for the first time in a while and first updated to V1.07 firmware from 1.06. On doing so, it seems if I press the M on the remote, then it stays in preamp mode and refuses to go into DAC mode. Pretty sure I would have used DAC mode in the past when it was still on 1.06, although I cannot remember for sure if I did, as it was used mainly in preamp mode back then. Connected to a windows 10 pc via latest 5.45 driver. Output is RCA to a headamp, and set to RCA only.

Am I missing something (likely) or could there be a fault?
Yeah you are missing both points.
You cannot change between DAC/PreAmp mode with the remote. Period.
The M button on the remote does nothing.

You change between DAC/PreAmp mode by going into the Setup Menu. Read the manual on how to do that.

penguin

I'm thinking of getting an E50. Going to connect my Node 130 with toslink to the E50, and RCA from the E50 to my amplifier. Will that setup work fine for using the Node with Tidal MQA?

penguin

You can use USB output on the NODE.
Thank you, but I'm going to use the usb in on the DAC for my computer. Should I go with the E30 II instead? My system is Denton 85th and a Primare amplifier together with the Node 130.

HappyMetalGuy

I'm thinking of getting an E50. Going to connect my Node 130 with toslink to the E50, and RCA from the E50 to my amplifier. Will that setup work fine for using the Node with Tidal MQA?
To ear mqa I would use the DAC of the Node because... as mqa say (and I quote): "The built-in MQA decoder will automatically restore the high-resolution signal heard in the studio and confirm it, using the authentication signature." so for mqa any DAC with the logo would be fine. In this case Amir says the TI PCM5242 is the DAC
As for the DAC I would go for the e50 (but not because of mqa, I seem to prefer ESS, don't know why) the measures of Amir tell the story (a good one) and yes it should work with the optical connection between N130 and e50 for mqa decoding. I have compared many tracks from Tidal (only) on musicscope and you can see that mqa tracks (pic1) cause more distortion seen on the peak levels, the CD (pic2) quality is very good on Tidal and I prefer it over Qobuz (subjectively Qobuz seems more aggressive). The last picture is the song from my CD.
1663435719153.png
1663436154551.png
1663438078010.png

Blew

I have compared many tracks from Tidal (only) on musicscope and you can see that mqa tracks (pic1) cause more distortion seen on the peak levels, the CD (pic2) quality is very good on Tidal and I prefer it over Qobuz (subjectively Qobuz seems more aggressive). The last picture is the song from my CD.
I used to agree until I discovered that it was my system that was causing it. CD audio or streamed from Qobuz would sound "harsh" and slightly distorted on higher frequencies compared to MQA which sounded more natural without those distortions. It was especially noticeable when using my Sennheiser HD660S headphones which are very revealing. Then I discovered that the "harsh" in the non-MQA sound was a result of either a ground loop or EMI distortion in my setups, which were all using RCA unbalanced, along with higher impedance on the headphones amplifier. MQA was merely masking this distortion with its own. Now that I'm using fully balanced on my desk setup, and the lower output impedance setting on the headphone amp, CD audio and Qobuz sounds a lot better than MQA. MQA sounds muffled by comparison. So I quit Tidal and joined Qobuz instead, and don't use the MQA feature of the E50 anymore.

HappyMetalGuy

I used to agree until I discovered that it was my system that was causing it. CD audio or streamed from Qobuz would sound "harsh" and slightly distorted on higher frequencies compared to MQA which sounded more natural without those distortions. It was especially noticeable when using my Sennheiser HD660S headphones which are very revealing. Then I discovered that the "harsh" in the non-MQA sound was a result of either a ground loop or EMI distortion in my setups, which were all using RCA unbalanced, along with higher impedance on the headphones amplifier. MQA was merely masking this distortion with its own. Now that I'm using fully balanced on my desk setup, and the lower output impedance setting on the headphone amp, CD audio and Qobuz sounds a lot better than MQA. MQA sounds muffled by comparison. So I quit Tidal and joined Qobuz instead, and don't use the MQA feature of the E50 anymore.
You are right (at least with this song), this is the musicscope analize of the same song from Qobuz Hi-Res. Tidal is really bad (in this case).
qobuz.png

nesone

Dear members, I need help. My system is: PC, W7- Topping E 50, spkrs Presonus Eris E5 (amps are in), balanced cables.
I listen to music with Tidal Master. What is the best way to set up the E50? In DAC or preamp mode?
In the Tidal application how to set Exclusive mode, Force volume and MQA?
In Exlucive mode sound is to loud in DAC mode.
Thank you all for your help. Thanks in advance.

vuittion

If its an integrated amp use fixed mode. If its a Power Amplifier use preamp mode.

escalibur

Has anyone tested E50 with two monoblocks at the same time (stereo)?

Top Bottom