• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Toku

Major Contributor
The power supply required for E50 is 5V/1A, and this number is a value with sufficient margin.
So if you don't have a suitable power supply, you can use the USB port of your PC as a substitute.

The power supply standard of the USB port of the PC is

USB-type A, USB-2.0 ports --- 5V/0.5A
USB-type A, USB-3.0/3.1 port --- 5V/0.9A

USB-type C, USB-3.0/3.1/3.2 ports -- 5V/3A

is stipulated as

I've used the E50 for a while with the USB-A USB-3.0/3.1 port and it worked perfectly.
However, it is difficult to use on a laptop PC.

Last edited:

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The power supply required for E50 is 5V/1A, and this number is a value with sufficient margin.
So if you don't have a suitable power supply, you can use the USB port of your PC as a substitute.

The power supply standard of the USB port of the PC is

USB-type A, USB-2.0 ports --- 5V/0.5A
USB-type A, USB-3.0/3.1 port --- 5V/0.9A

is stipulated as

I've used the E50 for a while with the USB-A USB-3.0/3.1 port and it worked perfectly.
Thanks for the suggestion. So, the E50 DAC runs on 4.5 Watts?

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Type-C doesn't guarantee 3 A, it could be just the same current as standard USB. Compliant devices have to check how much power is available.

Lavawood

Forum Donor
I just had a very unsettling experience with a brand new Topping E50. I plug it into my system and it sounds wonderful, then a snap so loud I was afraid the whole system fried. Thought it might be something I did, the new tubes in my amp. 10 min later again SNAP! Like lightning. Feared my speakers were fried. Immediately shut everything down. Plugged my khadas tone board back in, everything was fine.

Any ideas?

Fanless pc with SOtM USBEXP feeding khadas toneboard, into rogue Cronus magnum with new tubes. Zero issues until I plugged the Topping E50 in.

Toku

Major Contributor
I just had a very unsettling experience with a brand new Topping E50. I plug it into my system and it sounds wonderful, then a snap so loud I was afraid the whole system fried. Thought it might be something I did, the new tubes in my amp. 10 min later again SNAP! Like lightning. Feared my speakers were fried. Immediately shut everything down. Plugged my khadas tone board back in, everything was fine.

Any ideas?

Fanless pc with SOtM USBEXP feeding khadas toneboard, into rogue Cronus magnum with new tubes. Zero issues until I plugged the Topping E50 in.
Topping's E50 is a model with extremely high degree of perfection and stable operation among many DACs. I bought 3 E50s.

I need to know a lot about the usage conditions to think about your symptoms. I don't think anyone can answer with just your sentences.

I don't think the Rogue Cronus magnum amp has anything to do with the symptoms.

I assume that your PC has several USB ports other than the SOtM USBEXP, but does the same symptom occur even if you switch the connection to that port?

Do you have Topping's ASIO driver installed on your PC?

Is the E50's firmware the latest V1.07?

What do you use for your PC music player?

Are you using a network player?

What is play mode?  ASIO, WASAPI, Windows System

What music files do you play?

You will need information such as

Toku

Major Contributor
Type-C doesn't guarantee 3 A, it could be just the same current as standard USB. Compliant devices have to check how much power is available.
Thank you for pointing out the mistake.
In the case of USB-C, it seems to be 1.5A in general.

Zuviene1

Hi there everyone,
I am looking for a longer usb power cable for my E50 DAC, but I can not find any information anywere about the size of jack i need to get. Is it 5.5 x2.5 or 5.0 x 2.1 ? Can somebody help me out , please? Much appreciated

nsfgp

Hi there everyone,
I am looking for a longer usb power cable for my E50 DAC, but I can not find any information anywere about the size of jack i need to get. Is it 5.5 x2.5 or 5.0 x 2.1 ? Can somebody help me out , please? Much appreciated
Try a USB extension cable (USB-A female to USB-A male)

bplatypus

is there a way to get sound from an apple tv without loss? (hdmi to coax? or hdmi to opt?)

Zuviene1

Try a USB extension cable (USB-A female to USB-A male)
Shouldn't be such details written somewhere for someone in need like me? I mean yes, I could connect two cables, extend it. But I would prefer one longer. I checked users manual, tweir official page - nothing.
Another issue - it should shut down afyer one minute without getting any signal - mine stays constantly on. Maybe someone could advise me on that too? Thanks

Asma

Hi there everyone,
Connector size 5.5 x2.1. Inexpensive cable, maximum length 2 meters.

Blew

I checked users manual, tweir official page - nothing.
Another issue - it should shut down afyer one minute without getting any signal - mine stays constantly on. Maybe someone could advise me on that too? Thanks
The user manual describes how to configure auto shutdown.

bplatypus

Do you think it is superior to a Denon receiver (x6700)? Just wondering if I should give it a try :)

edit: my current config is Apple TV (hdmi) -> Denon x6700

AndreaT

The Adafruit 1466, 5V 4A DC PSU for $ 14.95 (Mouser electronics) fits perfectly. I tried the iPhone charger (5V, 1 A) and the E50 does not turn on. The Adafruit is compact and comes with a generous length of cable. It does not seem to generate any audible noise in the background.

arrow0309

The Adafruit 1466, 5V 4A DC PSU for $ 14.95 (Mouser electronics) fits perfectly. I tried the iPhone charger (5V, 1 A) and the E50 does not turn on. The Adafruit is compact and comes with a generous length of cable. It does not seem to generate any audible noise in the background.
Good to know, I have this 5V, 3A universal one, successfully used with the E30 and (for a couple of weeks) with the E30 II as well.
Hope will do just fine with the E50 too (arriving from ShenzhenAudio soon).

Toku

Major Contributor
Is the iPhone charger a genuine Apple product?
In my case it works perfectly fine. iPhone of course
It is a genuine Apple product that came with the .

AndreaT

Now some report about the sound of the E50 DAC:
Source: Hidisz AP80 Pro through digital output (downside, you cannot charge the Hidisz as you play music) with minimal equalization similar to the one suggested by Amir in the Fiio testing, generic USB C to A cable (Not AudioQuest), Topping E50, Topping L30 II medium gain and volume around 1 o'clock, and Fiio FD5 IEM.

I do enjoy it, I do listen to Music more with the IEM than before. When careful about sealing the cups in my ear canals the bass is great and the overall tonality seems just right. It does show very well the limits of recordings with less than ideal quality (some Genesis albums from the 1980's, background noises like someone bumping into an instrument case at around 20 sec of "The Cinema Show" by Genesis). Spatial clues (the audiophile's "soundstage") are impeccably presented, like the L to R bouncing of the keyboard in "The Midas Shadow" by Al Stewart. Well made recordings (like the series of SFO of Mahler's Symphonies directed by Tilson Thomas) are reproducing the emotion and the commotion I associate to live performances from my well placed seat at Boston Symphony Hall, minus the visual show, of course.

Highly recommended as a pinnacle of quality/price ratio.

A

arrow0309

Now some report about the sound of the E50 DAC:
Source: Hidisz AP80 Pro through digital output (downside, you cannot charge the Hidisz as you play music) with minimal equalization similar to the one suggested by Amir in the Fiio testing, generic USB C to A cable (Not AudioQuest), Topping E50, Topping L30 II medium gain and volume around 1 o'clock, and Fiio FD5 IEM.

I do enjoy it, I do listen to Music more with the IEM than before. When careful about sealing the cups in my ear canals the bass is great and the overall tonality seems just right. It does show very well the limits of recordings with less than ideal quality (some Genesis albums from the 1980's, background noises like someone bumping into an instrument case at around 20 sec of "The Cinema Show" by Genesis). Spatial clues (the audiophile's "soundstage") are impeccably presented, like the L to R bouncing of the keyboard in "The Midas Shadow" by Al Stewart. Well made recordings (like the series of SFO of Mahler's Symphonies directed by Tilson Thomas) are reproducing the emotion and the commotion I associate to live performances from my well placed seat at Boston Symphony Hall, minus the visual show, of course.

Highly recommended as a pinnacle of quality/price ratio.

A
Top, I can't wait for my 2 new little (pc desktop) devices to arrive, the E50 and the Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 (also customade TRS to XLR cables).
I also have the Dx3 Pro + that I use with my LG E8 TV (and with my laptop when I'm away).

Top Bottom