• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

respice finem

Major Contributor
Alas, there's a bias trap waiting (when comparing two firmwares on the same device by hearing): Can you remember small acoustic details for several minutes? And is the level 100% equal?

koravei

Alas, there's a bias trap waiting (when comparing two firmwares on the same device by hearing): Can you remember small acoustic details for several minutes? And is the level 100% equal?
Yes i can, i have reference music for hearing. I listen to some high level and remember the position of L50's volume knob, then my ears relax and i try again. As Eldus said, it's possible to be some allergy, but i remember that the middle level was plenty enough and i rarely pushed the volume knob to the max. Now the high level is the same as the middle. Please, can someone share firmware v.1.06.

Aldoszx

Attachments

• 210915_E50_V106 FOR Win.zip
    322.4 KB · Views: 17

femaletiger

It turned out the same.... How can you hear the difference before?? :facepalm::facepalm:
I have updated to 1.07 and I can't hear any difference from 1.06....:):)

Last edited:

koravei

It turned out the same.... How can you hear the difference before?? :facepalm::facepalm:
I have updated to 1.07 and I can't hear any difference from 1.06....:):)
I wonder to myself, sometimes circumstances line up and your brain starts to fool you :D :D But it's good when you update a firmware, to have a backup of the previous version, just for comparing, so i am happy that i have it after all :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know which version was tested here? I see there was a AK4493 version as well.

Overseas

I am looking at E50 vs SMSL SU 6, as I am targeting an ESS good relatively cheap DAC.
Leaving all other aside, what can be said about the 2 companies, SMSL vs Topping ?! In my mind they are all the same, Shenzen, Tpdz, SMSL, Topping etc

Veri

Master Contributor
Leaving all other aside, what can be said about the 2 companies, SMSL vs Topping ?! In my mind they are all the same, Shenzen, Tpdz, SMSL, Topping etc
Erm, no. SMSL is a pretty gigantic umbrella company which consists of many sub-brands. But Topping is just one company standing on their own. No affiliation with big S.M.S.L.

Top Bottom