• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

respice finem

Major Contributor
Alas, there's a bias trap waiting (when comparing two firmwares on the same device by hearing): Can you remember small acoustic details for several minutes? And is the level 100% equal?

koravei

Alas, there's a bias trap waiting (when comparing two firmwares on the same device by hearing): Can you remember small acoustic details for several minutes? And is the level 100% equal?
Yes i can, i have reference music for hearing. I listen to some high level and remember the position of L50's volume knob, then my ears relax and i try again. As Eldus said, it's possible to be some allergy, but i remember that the middle level was plenty enough and i rarely pushed the volume knob to the max. Now the high level is the same as the middle. Please, can someone share firmware v.1.06.

femaletiger

It turned out the same.... How can you hear the difference before?? :facepalm::facepalm:
I have updated to 1.07 and I can't hear any difference from 1.06....:):)

Last edited:

koravei

It turned out the same.... How can you hear the difference before?? :facepalm::facepalm:
I have updated to 1.07 and I can't hear any difference from 1.06....:):)
I wonder to myself, sometimes circumstances line up and your brain starts to fool you :D :D But it's good when you update a firmware, to have a backup of the previous version, just for comparing, so i am happy that i have it after all :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know which version was tested here? I see there was a AK4493 version as well.

Overseas

I am looking at E50 vs SMSL SU 6, as I am targeting an ESS good relatively cheap DAC.
Leaving all other aside, what can be said about the 2 companies, SMSL vs Topping ?! In my mind they are all the same, Shenzen, Tpdz, SMSL, Topping etc

Veri

Master Contributor
Leaving all other aside, what can be said about the 2 companies, SMSL vs Topping ?! In my mind they are all the same, Shenzen, Tpdz, SMSL, Topping etc
Erm, no. SMSL is a pretty gigantic umbrella company which consists of many sub-brands. But Topping is just one company standing on their own. No affiliation with big S.M.S.L.

peng

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello again, I just signed up for the Tidal 30-day trial and am wondering if the E50's MQA indicators are supposed to turn on when I play the "Master" files, or there is a setting to turn it on/off? So far I have not been able to get those indicators to turn on. I am using the windows app on a laptop. Thank you.

yanm

Forum Donor
Hello again, I just signed up for the Tidal 30-day trial and am wondering if the E50's MQA indicators are supposed to turn on when I play the "Master" files, or there is a setting to turn it on/off? So far I have not been able to get those indicators to turn on. I am using the windows app on a laptop. Thank you.
I am not anymore on TIDAL but when I was, the MQA indicators were turning on. There were no special settings. I was connecting the E50 via USB from a Bluesound Node though…

peng

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not anymore on TIDAL but when I was, the MQA indicators were turning on. There were no special settings. I was connecting the E50 via USB from a Bluesound Node though…

Thank you, mine is connected via USB to a laptop only so may be that's the reason. I don't think I need that feature anyway, just being curious again that's all.

AngryMetalGuy

Thank you, mine is connected via USB to a laptop only so may be that's the reason. I don't think I need that feature anyway, just being curious again that's all.
Maybe try to put the sound output (Tidal-E50) in force volume and exclusive mode it should work fine that way in Tidal. You can even passthrough the signal that way E50 does all the work first and second unfold. But hey! I'm not an mqa guy.
7548_650_0_bac6817d58.jpeg

Last edited:

nagster

Volume of E50 vs Volume of A30Pro. AP dashboard and dynamic range.
e50_a30p_01.JPG

Attachments

• 01_e50_a30p_DB_0dB.png
    01_e50_a30p_DB_0dB.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 02_e50_a30p_DB_20dB.png
    02_e50_a30p_DB_20dB.png
    620.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 03_e50_a30p_DB_40dB.png
    03_e50_a30p_DB_40dB.png
    585.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 04_e50_a30p_DR_0db.png
    04_e50_a30p_DR_0db.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 05_e50_a30p_DR_20.png
    05_e50_a30p_DR_20.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 06_e50_a30p_DR_40.png
    06_e50_a30p_DR_40.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 56

yanm

Forum Donor
Volume of E50 vs Volume of A30Pro. AP dashboard and dynamic range.
View attachment 225371
Thank - interesting results. To be honest, I was actually expecting more than 5 dB SINAD and dynamic range improvement from using the volume control of the A30 over that of the E50. On the other hand, the E50 is quite low noise and distortion to start with and the A30 is not a preamplifier but actually an (headphone) amplifier i.e., it introduces some harmonics on its own. I wonder if using balanced interconnects would increase the difference between the two approaches to volume control? (I guess not: it would just shift everything by a few dB)

Anyway, what matter a the end of the day is whether the harmonics and noise are audible in a given system at typical listening level. For example, I am typically listening with the E50’s volume sets at -40 dB and the harmonic and noise are below audible threshold (accounting for amplifier gain -AHB2 at mid gain- and my loudspeakers’ efficiency - 804d3 with 89dBSPL/2.83Vrms at 1m). On the other hand, I could imagine one using very sensitive IEM with a combo like E50 + A30 and having the noise being slightly audible at typical listening level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom