• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Toku

Major Contributor
I ordered this dac and the PA5 amplifier.

I forgot the fact that I would like to connect a subwoofer later on. Is the E50 capable of output signal in both balanced and unbalanced at the same time in preamp mode? That would solve it for me.

If not I would be happy for other suggestions on how to solve the connection of a subwoofer.
The content of the question can be found in the E50 manual on Topping's HP.

yanm

Forum Donor
I ordered this dac and the PA5 amplifier.

I forgot the fact that I would like to connect a subwoofer later on. Is the E50 capable of output signal in both balanced and unbalanced at the same time in preamp mode? That would solve it for me.

If not I would be happy for other suggestions on how to solve the connection of a subwoofer.
Yes, there was an answer from @JohnYang1997 going in that direction earlier in this thread. You can also set from the configuration menu whether the E50 outputs on the RCA or the TRS or both.

Last edited:

rikstaker

Got the E50 and L50 stacK. Sound is huge and powerful. Treble is clean and bass is deep. Tenet soundtrack with dt770 250 ohm for example can be played at ear blowing levels without distortion. Also have it connected to my ps5 using a usb to optical convertor pcm 2704 barebones chip from ali express. 3d audio is spectacular in call of duty and last of us 2.

bogi

I forgot the fact that I would like to connect a subwoofer later on. Is the E50 capable of output signal in both balanced and unbalanced at the same time in preamp mode?
From https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...-decoder-ultra-low-noise-preamp-headphone-dac
ff5fca3b33859ea7d7b3581245fa01f8.jpg

What SPDIF receiver is that ? Why the inscription is erased ?

Attachments

• 20211227_122527.jpg
    20211227_122527.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 156

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Received my E50 today from Apos (Apos Certified). Has 1.06 FW. All is well and I like the increased size over E30. I posted pics of the size diff between it and the E30.

Anyone wanting a very good linear power supply, 5V, 1A, 1.2 pounds ... this Made in Taiwan Jameco is excellent! Used it with E30 for a couple of years.

Interesting-I didn't know it was a larger case.

NRW

Folks,

I've been enjoying the E50 I just added to the system (OPPO BDP-95, BAT preamp and amp, Zu speakers). Using optical out and playing 192/24 tracks (Bitstream selected). I did have a question that is eluding me even when searching the forums. Per the E50 manual, frequency response for balanced is 20Hz -40 kHz. However, filter selection which I assume is always present, filters out to 28 kHz (per Topping F-2). So why is the response showing 40 kHz when the filters automatically filter at best under 30kHz?

Many thanks.

half_dog

Folks,

I've been enjoying the E50 I just added to the system (OPPO BDP-95, BAT preamp and amp, Zu speakers). Using optical out and playing 192/24 tracks (Bitstream selected). I did have a question that is eluding me even when searching the forums. Per the E50 manual, frequency response for balanced is 20Hz -40 kHz. However, filter selection which I assume is always present, filters out to 28 kHz (per Topping F-2). So why is the response showing 40 kHz when the filters automatically filter at best under 30kHz?

Many thanks.
This digital filter at 28kHz is for 44.1kHz contents. With higher contents, the filter changes its curve eg.: at 88.2kHz the digital filter cuts around 56kHz. The 20Hz to 40kHz bandwidth is in a 0.3dB window (increasing this window, the bandwidth increases as well). But I think this characteristic is related to the analog filters (LPF) not the digitals ones.

NRW

This digital filter at 28kHz is for 44.1kHz contents. With higher contents, the filter changes its curve eg.: at 88.2kHz the digital filter cuts around 56kHz. The 20Hz to 40kHz bandwidth is in a 0.3dB window (increasing this window, the bandwidth increases as well). But I think this characteristic is related to the analog filters (LPF) not the digitals ones.
Many thanks for the orientation. Make sense per the E50 manual, balanced frequency response (USB In@96kHz) 20Hz-40kHz (+/- 0.3dB) and 20Hz-20kHz(+/-0.1dB). Thanks again!

half_dog

Many thanks for the orientation. Make sense per the E50 manual, balanced frequency response (USB In@96kHz) 20Hz-40kHz (+/- 0.3dB) and 20Hz-20kHz(+/-0.1dB). Thanks again!
It was a pretty simple explanation. I'm glad that it helped somehow. The digital filters change depending on the sample rate material as I said before but not necessarily linearly as my example. And more, it depends on the type of files as well, if pcm, DSD, MQA... For each of these there is some specific filters selection, but not for MQA.

NRW

It was a pretty simple explanation. I'm glad that it helped somehow. The digital filters change depending on the sample rate material as I said before but not necessarily linearly as my example. And more, it depends on the type of files as well, if pcm, DSD, MQA... For each of these there is some specific filters selection, but not for MQA.
What helped was to give me enough context clues to do some proper searches and brush up on the DSP fundamentals. I've been enjoying my Oppo BDP-95 unit since 2012 and have always been pleased with quality (spatial information, dynamics, etc.). I wanted to start "dipping my toe" into high resolution audio including streaming by at least getting a balanced outboard DAC. So most of my focus is to look at variables in at least three different areas: 1) Settings on the BDP-95 (LPCM vs Bitstream); 2) optical vs coaxial vs HDMI; 3) cd comparison to HDTracks downloaded files (192/24, 96/24, 44/16). I also was evaluating what would bottleneck frequency response since the preamp and amp are capable of 8Hz - 200kHz, hence my earlier question.

I can say right off the bat with an optical connection (3ft Hosa) into the E50, the soundstage has erupted in depth and width. More of a holographic immersion than what was expected. This goes for CDs as well as the downloaded high resolution FLAC files (using thumb drive plugged into BDP-95). I'm still doing some more investigating but there is a difference when going from HDMI > audio extractor >optical >E50.

All good at this point with fiddling around with finer adjustments and come up to speed with digital infrastructures.

goldistan

My four Topping E50 arrived, here they are connected to DDRC-88D.
I love that the factory setting is "pre" mode and set at -30db. this way if anything goes wrong in the setup it won't fry the speakers, nor be dead silent.

Attachments

• IMG_0985.jpg
    IMG_0985.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 319

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the new Topping E50 balanced USB DAC. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $269. I just reviewed its companion headphone amplifier, the Topping L50.
Many thanks for your reviews. I have a question. If I have missed it do please accept my apologies but please point me to where I can get my answer: What is the output level at -20dBFS at full volume? Or at 0dBFS for that matter? I am trying to find the "gain" of the device between digital and analogue.

MLaranjeiras

Interesting-I didn't know it was a larger case.
There are two strong trends about linear power supply: Topping itself never mention the need of having it for its products. You see in the case of the E50 that Topping makes question to recommend a normal 5V power source. It talked with Topping Support and they said the same. No emphasys about it. On the other hand, there are those that swear blind that LPS make difference. What did you realize about this?

Reactions: GPJ

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I provided the link for the linear power supply. The reason I posted it was because the Jameco item is of excellent quality and cheap and provides stable power. That is why I use it. However, I believe Amir proved that using an ordinary 5V phone charger (like Samsung) into these Topping DAC's is perfectly fine. Topping knows this too, and I can confirm I hear zero difference between using either sources of power. But for $13, I prefered the Jameco walwart. Just personal and nothing more to it.
While it probably does not matter with a well designed DAC, You might fine the linear PSU is generating just as much noise, if not more, in the audio range than an SMPS. It would be interesting to compare 2 units of reasonable build quality with a spectrum analyzer when connected to 5 Ω loads.

The SMPS will tend to have more noise above the audio range while linear PSU may have more harmonics related the 50/60 Hz mains frequency.

Reactions: GPJ

goldistan

I have 4 of these and no problems

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 169

MLaranjeiras

The content of the question can be found in the E50 manual on Topping's HP.

What happens once you try it with a standard mobile phone 5V charger?
I have heard reports of symptoms similar to yours. The cause was the power supply used.
Topping Support told me by email that I can plug the DAC on a 2.1A 5V charger without problem. So, I did it, instead 1A 5V (my cellphone charger has both options). But I realized that it does not matter that much. Of course, a very old charger can have age problems, so it is better to get a new one from a good brand.

Top Bottom