• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

I think the problem isn't the Topping driver, but something else.
My E50 uses Topping's driver to play all MQA files perfectly.
Did you have any idea where it might be ? The sound of the E50 is excellent, I do not want to buy another DAC from another brand.

Veri

Master Contributor
I solve the problem. I uninstalled Topping-Thesycon drivers. That software-driver is the worst driver from audio industry. Now Windows 10 works perfectly. No more popping, crackling.

Well, funny thing. Guess who is behind the Windows 10 default drivers? They're made by Thesycon. So unless you're using a pretty bugged driver version there shouldn't be major problems.

half_dog

I'm sorry, I corrected the previous post.
The E50 cannot keep up with the high-speed double touch. I think you can get a reliable operation by double-touching a little more slowly. It's also a good idea to leave some time between operations. The operation of the E50's MCU (CPU) seems to be a little slow.
When I operate it like you on my E50, it becomes unstable.
I got a answer from Topping service and they said almost the same thing. I should operate it slower and the noise is not a concern. Well, it is working, I will try calm myself down hehe

**Do have any idea how to disassembly it? I removed the three screws from the back plate and it didn't come off**

Dmitriy

кто-то уже разобрал E50 и опубликовал фотографию того, что внутри, я думаю, вам лучше связаться с ним, к сожалению, я не могу вам помочь, так как я его не разбирал, но у меня все еще есть фотография внутренностей
topping e50.jpg

Toku

Major Contributor
I got a answer from Topping service and they said almost the same thing. I should operate it slower and the noise is not a concern. Well, it is working, I will try calm myself down hehe

**Do have any idea how to disassembly it? I removed the three screws from the back plate and it didn't come off**
The HEX: 2mm / L: 200mm screwdriver shown in the photo is required to disassemble and pull out the PC board.
Use this screwdriver to remove the front panel and disconnect the flat cable from the front panel connected to the PC board.
Otherwise, you will not be able to pull out the board.

Attachments

• 51vM44cbN9L._AC_SX679_.jpg
    51vM44cbN9L._AC_SX679_.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 272

half_dog

Thanks again @Toku ! But as I told before, I can't pass through the back plate removal. It seems glued somewhere... and I need this tool as well hehe
Edit: someone can sleep in peace now. I was able to remove the back plate - the case is a little bent to inside and this was "causing" a interference fixure. While the back plate was too tight the PCB board was wobbling inside the case. Although this annoyed me I recognize that will not affect the sound quality neither the equipment.

Last edited:

bogi

That software-driver is the worst driver from audio industry
Did you have any idea where it might be ? The sound of the E50 is excellent, I do not want to buy another DAC from another brand.
Topping driver can be fully uninstalled. Reboot your computer after uninstallation and then install it again.
Its is an usual Thesycon XMOS driver - not developed by Topping, used by almost all new DACs. Topping did usual customization (such as VID, PID, Sample rate limits). So your statement does not make sense. Better to ask what you did with your computer just before it stopped to work.
In principle, if you don't wish to play DSD files (or to convert to DSD on the fly), the default Windows driver gives you what you need. What's the base of your thinking to buy other DAC?

Topping driver can be fully uninstalled. Reboot your computer after uninstallation and then install it again.
Its is an usual Thesycon XMOS driver - not developed by Topping, used by almost all new DACs. Topping did usual customization (such as VID, PID, Sample rate limits). So your statement does not make sense. Better to ask what you did with your computer just before it stopped to work.
In principle, if you don't wish to play DSD files (or to convert to DSD on the fly), the default Windows driver gives you what you need. What's the base of your thinking to buy other DAC?
I uninstall the Topping v5.12, I reboot the computer and install the new v5.27 driver. The crackling are more rare and now I can listen even 192khz MQA. The main problem reside in "exclusive mode" of Master setting in Tidal. Of course, the sound is the best then but in that configuration the system requirements are the highest. How does exclusive mode work?

bogi

I uninstall the Topping v5.12, I reboot the computer and install the new v5.27 driver. The crackling are more rare and now I can listen even 192khz MQA. The main problem reside in "exclusive mode" of Master setting in Tidal.
I have installed 5.20 and I don't listen to (and don't want to listen to) MQA.
Do you have any troubles with real hires content (not MQA)?

Last edited:

I have installed 5.20 and I don't listen to (and don't want to listen to) MQA.
Do you have any troubles with real hires content (not MQA)?
Give me a link with a Tidal hi-res song without MQA please.

bogi

If you think the driver is your issue, better to play files and not to stream from Tidal. That's better way to find out in which part of your chain the issue occurs.
Here you can download music tracks of different formats to test your crackling issue: http://www.2l.no/hires/ Try to find out if some of them is causing issues.

If you think the driver is your issue, better to play files and not to stream from Tidal. That's better way to find out in which part of your chain the issue occurs.
Here you can download music tracks of different formats to test your crackling issue: http://www.2l.no/hires/ Try to find out if some of them is causing issues.

There isn't any problem with the files from the local SSD. The crackling issue is only from Tidal. The most of all cracklings are in Master, MQA, 192khz, Exclusive Mode. If I remove Exclusive Mode the cracklings are rarer. If I remove Master mode, the crackling are even rarer and so on. The speed test of my internet modem is 40 Mb/s, ping 30ms an jitter 7ps.

usern

There isn't any problem with the files from the local SSD. The crackling issue is only from Tidal. The most of all cracklings are in Master, MQA, 192khz, Exclusive Mode. If I remove Exclusive Mode the cracklings are rarer. If I remove Master mode, the crackling are even rarer and so on. The speed test of my internet modem is 40 Mb/s, ping 30ms an jitter 7ps.
Get something like OBS and record the output. Perhaps that's what Tidal actually outputs.

bogi

There isn't any problem with the files from the local SSD.
It means there is no issue with your driver but you have a network streaming issue or Tidal app issue.
Perhaps that's what Tidal actually outputs.
777, give us an example which album or track is causing you crackling so others could try it too. I don't expect that Tidal is sending crackling but if somebody else would test that it could be easily confirmed or disproved.

Last edited:

bogi

Some results for 'crackling tidal exclusive mode':
https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/air9n2
Try real hires in Qobuz instead of mangled MQA...

MeZoX

My topping E50 just arrived and hooked it up to my system , KRK 8G4 + KRK10Sv2 . I basically bought it just for the remote and BE output , to replace my audio engine D1 , I wasn't expecting much of a difference specially that one of people here told me my speakers already have a DSP and my current DAC was already a good one.

But I was immediately blown away by how the mids are much higher now , I confirmed that by doing a sine sweep measurement , I even had to increase the bass gain on my subwoofer to maintain that sloping down curve , the final result is a much fuller and cleaner sound , honestly I am very surprised

MeZoX

I have a question , what are the filters on the E50 mean ? what do they do ? which one do i chose ?

Veri

Master Contributor
I have a question , what are the filters on the E50 mean ? what do they do ? which one do i chose ?
There's only three so it doesn't matter that much.. but the third one will have less high frequency content so could sound less 'bright' with certain materials.

MeZoX

I wonder if the reason of the noticeable improvement in mid response has to do with the DAC more or the difference of crossover circuitry of my subwoofer between xlr and RCA inputs

Top Bottom