• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

fluxcapacitor

As soon as the Topping E50 I ordered arrived, I performed the operation test, so I will report the result.

Until now, I mainly used E30 and D10s D10 Balanced for DAC, but I bought the newly released E50 because it can also play MQA.

Immediately after arriving, I checked all the basic operations. The genuine AC adapter of iPad is used for the power supply. The PC is Windows 10 Pro and the audio player is using Foober2000 and TuneBrowser in ASIO mode.
I did a continuous playback test by randomly switching between PCM44.1kHz~784KHz/16~32Bit and DSD2.8~DSD512, but there are no problems to worry about.
I tested PCM44.1~192kHz (16/24Bit) using the OPT/COAX output of D10s for the input of OPT/COAX, but it also plays back without any problem.

I used to use the SMSL M500 to play MQA, but the E50 is a big improvement.
On the M500, when MQA is played, it will be PCM playback at first and will switch to MQA after 3 to 4 seconds. At the time of switching, the sound was interrupted for a moment and could not be played smoothly, but with the E50, when MQA is played, the MQA is displayed instantly and playback starts. The sound is not interrupted like the M500, but there is a small click noise.

With the E30, I had a habit of making a slight click noise when switching songs or during sleep/wake, and I was a little worried when I connected the power amplifier directly, but with the E50, this is completely silent. This is a nice evolution. The product has been energized continuously for a long time since it arrived, but I hardly feel the heat generated by the main unit.

The brightness of the display can be adjusted in 3 steps, and automatic ON/OFF can be selected, improving usability.

Problems I noticed
When using USB input in pre-mode, the volume is suddenly maximized when the volume is lowered from -0.0 to the minimum value of -99. This symptom is the same for both balanced and unbalanced outputs. It is completely normal when inputting OPT/COAX.
If you operate the volume without knowing this, it will cause serious troubles such as destroying the speaker. I immediately reported this issue to Topping. I hope it will be improved as soon as possible.
---- postscript ----
This issue only occurs when playing DSD.
I couldn't manage to play mqa through optical input. I downloaded foobar2000 and installed some components required but still no luck. I play mqa files downloaded from Tidal but still couldn't manage to activate mqa led on the screen :) can you show me you foobar2000 configurations? thanks.

Toku

Major Contributor
I couldn't manage to play mqa through optical input. I downloaded foobar2000 and installed some components required but still no luck. I play mqa files downloaded from Tidal but still couldn't manage to activate mqa led on the screen :) can you show me you foobar2000 configurations? thanks.
The E50's COAX / OPT input supports MQA, but my PC environment doesn't have a COAX / OPT output and I haven't tested this.
There are Topping D10s and D10B, which can produce COAX / OPT output, but unfortunately they cannot output MQA signal.
I use an audio player TuneBrowser or Foober2000 for my MQA playback. The settings of Foober2000 use the settings proposed by Topping. The output is USB only.

bogi

If you want, pay extra fees for lossy format propagated as lossless. I removed MQA label form my E50.

snaimpally

Dang! Topping just keeps churning out the hits. This looks to be just as capable of the D90SE for a third of the price and a great option for those on a budget.

snaimpally

Veri

Master Contributor

Toku

Major Contributor
If you want, pay extra fees for lossy format propagated as lossless. I removed MQA label form my E50.
If MQA can be played smoothly like PCM and DSD without any problems, it is acceptable to install MQA, but it is far from satisfactory playback operation although it has evolved a little. In my personal opinion, the E50 doesn't need an unfinished MQA.

Oukkidoukki

There is comparison in youtube between su 8 and e50. Even thru youtube you can hear that sound opens up a bit with e50, more height. And here people say you can't hear the difference. What's that all about? Go and listen.

Ps. Johnyang1997, make this v2 with xlr plugs, we have expensive xlr cables to active studio monitors. We don't wanna compromise quality with cheap trs plugs. I am ready to ditch su8 after I heard comparison.

Veri

Master Contributor
There is comparison in youtube between su 8 and e50. Even thru youtube you can hear that sound opens up a bit with e50, more height. And here people say you can't hear the difference. What's that all about? Go and listen.

Ps. Johnyang1997, make this v2 with xlr plugs, we have expensive xlr cables to active studio monitors. We don't wanna compromise quality with cheap trs plugs. I am ready to ditch su8 after I heard comparison.
There are plenty of studio quality XLR-TRS cables, so no that won't happen. And oh wow, you can hear DACs through YouTube videos, amazing....

Asma

We don't wanna compromise quality with cheap trs plugs. I am ready to ditch su8 after I heard comparison.
just buy a good cable with quality connectors. like this one

Haruko

Or amphenol + canare combo... That looks better imho
just buy a good cable with quality connectors. like this one

Oukkidoukki

Thank you, I got 300 dollar vovox xlr, can't start playing around.....must be xlr.....ofcourse there are many balanced dacs out there. Only this straight comparison to su 8 in youtube convinced me that e50 has little edge and price is right.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Even thru youtube you can hear that sound opens up a bit with e50, more height. And here people say you can't hear the difference. What's that all about? Go and listen.

Uh huh

Veri

Master Contributor
Thank you, I got 300 dollar vovox xlr, can't start playing around.....must be xlr.....ofcourse there are many balanced dacs out there. Only this straight comparison to su 8 in youtube convinced me that e50 has little edge and price is right.
So your vovox cable costs more than the Topping E50. A true sign of genius..

This isn't the kind of place where bragging about buying useless things will be applauded :facepalm: in case you haven't noticed.

Pioter

Hi folks,

*I think i finally found resonably priced good dac that satisfy my needs. Just could anyone confirm here two things, would appreciate:
1) this dac can be used as "TV" dac, there is digital volume control - no issues basically with that right? I assume if you lose pilot your screwed? (no other volume control options?)
2) i want to implement at some point eq/dsp - > probably will just buy minidsp and measure my room and apply eq accordingly. As far as i know good eq is the best to signifiant improve SQ (with given speakers). Can i face any issues here?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OH MY!! BS-o-meter on full tilt.

Top Bottom