• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 "PNL error"

r4ndomw4lk

I've recently bought Topping E50 with L50. I'm pretty happy with it, however I encounter cryptic "PNL error" always when playing certain tracks, which bothers me. I contacted Topping customer service but after two weeks of exchanging e-maiIs I feel that it is going nowhere. I was also unsuccesful in finding any information in the Internet about othe people encountering this issue. So, it is not clear to me if it is exclusive to my unit and I should try to replace it, or it some wider problem with E50 and then maybe I should return it. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if someone with E50 tried to replicated the error with their device and let me know how it went.

The procedure is simple:
- Play one of the tracks below in Tidal (both are first when you open the links):
1. Cloud Boat - Man of War (Phaeleh remix)
2. JUDGEMENT NIGHT (SIDEWALKS & SKELETONS RMX) - HEALTH, Ghostemane
- Few words about the setup:
1. Make sure that Exclusive Mode, Force volume and Passthrough MQA are switched on in Tidal.
2. E50 should be in version 1.06v (latest). I use it in DAC mode and it is connected directly to power socket.
3. System sampling rate is set to 44.1 kHZ. The error happens on both Windows and macOS.

Thanks!

Archon43

I've recently bought Topping E50 with L50. I'm pretty happy with it, however I encounter cryptic "PNL error" always when playing certain tracks, which bothers me. I contacted Topping customer service but after two weeks of exchanging e-maiIs I feel that it is going nowhere. I was also unsuccesful in finding any information in the Internet about othe people encountering this issue. So, it is not clear to me if it is exclusive to my unit and I should try to replace it, or it some wider problem with E50 and then maybe I should return it. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if someone with E50 tried to replicated the error with their device and let me know how it went.

The procedure is simple:
- Play one of the tracks below in Tidal (both are first when you open the links):
1. Cloud Boat - Man of War (Phaeleh remix)
2. JUDGEMENT NIGHT (SIDEWALKS & SKELETONS RMX) - HEALTH, Ghostemane
- Few words about the setup:
1. Make sure that Exclusive Mode, Force volume and Passthrough MQA are switched on in Tidal.
2. E50 should be in version 1.06v (latest). I use it in DAC mode and it is connected directly to power socket.
3. System sampling rate is set to 44.1 kHZ. The error happens on both Windows and macOS.

Thanks!
I have a Topping E50, I was able to play both of those songs with no problem on Tidal. I have Exclusive Mode, Force Volume, and Passthrough MQA all switched on. My Topping is showing 48.0 Khz for those tracks. I am also using DAC mode, where it always shows the sample rate which was currently/last used.

We have the same firmware, but are you running the latest driver? I am on firmware v1.06 and driver version 5.27. I suggest going into the Windows sound panel, resetting it to 32 Bit, default sample rate 48 Khz just to see if that helps. If not, try a different USB port (not the ones directly next to your keyboard and mouse if it applies to your setup.) I doubt some of these are the issue, since you tried both a PC and MAC, but with the PC definitely try these steps.

Try to uninstall and reinstall the latest Topping E50 driver. Lastly, make sure Tidal is up to date and I highly suggest you use the Tidal app as opposed to the web version of Tidal. I have had random issues with various sound devices (DACS, audio interfaces) with the web version. Make sure Tidal is up to date as well.

Just some basic troubleshooting, do one step at a time and see if the problem is fixed or not. I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Archon43

I am running a Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU, 32 Gigabytes of G. Skill RAM (Samsung B-Die), and have had success using the E50 on any song on the Tidal app with both Windows 10 and Windows 11, including the ones you are having an issue with. Never ran across that error you have. I currently have the E50 hooked up to a USB 3.0 port.

slackerpo

hey i've been having the same issue as you, i´d thought it could be a power supply thing, but i tried lots of power sources including battery banks and it always comes back. i have your exact config. i haven't tried though in preamp mode, have you? ill run those test and ill get back to you. the error poops up on every single listen session, which makes it unbearable. sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after hours. the same problem happens to me in 2 different computers, and my ifi hipdac doesnt have any issues with mqa. it is a unit problem. in fact, today the unit wasnt even recognized in one of the computers, so i had to downgrade the driver so it could be engaged. im in the verge of just getting another dac from a different brand.

Nonick

If E50 is connected via USB to your Windows/MacOS PC, try the following:
Disable Windows USB Power Management > https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/How-to-Disable-USB-Selective-Suspend-1190/

For MacOS try the following:
a) System Preferences > Energy Saver > Uncheck Put hard disks to sleep when possible and check Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off
b) Perform NVRAM reset
c) open Terminal > type "man pmset"
You will see what values are supported for hibernation and power on your Mac.
Hibernatemode supports values of 0, 3, or 25. Hibernatemode 25 fully removes power from USB connected interfaces.
To change to hibernatemode 25 > open Terminal > type "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25"

slackerpo

If E50 is connected via USB to your Windows/MacOS PC, try the following:
Disable Windows USB Power Management > https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/How-to-Disable-USB-Selective-Suspend-1190/

For MacOS try the following:
a) System Preferences > Energy Saver > Uncheck Put hard disks to sleep when possible and check Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off
b) Perform NVRAM reset
c) open Terminal > type "man pmset"
You will see what values are supported for hibernation and power on your Mac.
Hibernatemode supports values of 0, 3, or 25. Hibernatemode 25 fully removes power from USB connected interfaces.
To change to hibernatemode 25 > open Terminal > type "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25"

i tried this config, and it didnt work. thank you for the help. had 3 errors in a row. including while using spidf as input.

i give up,cause the other reconfigs didnt work either, i've thrown the towel. i've already ordered a smsl su-8s. hopefully we'll have better luck this time.

slackerpo

Has anyone resolved this issue or does it mean the unit is faulty?

i shelved the unit, once the su-8s arrived. havent looked back since. i tried everything. and im still waiting for a firmware update, not like that could fix everything, but you know what they say...

did the error popped for you too?

tommynovember7

Finally, I've successfully eliminated Topping E50's PNL Error when using it on macOS. The critical factor is the output volume of the music app. Please consider setting the output volume less than max even if you use E50 in DAC mode:
Screenshot 2022-04-23 at 20.03.27.png

In my case, the PNL error happened every time right after when the music started sounding loud. It seems that the DAC can't accept too high a signal input level, and we need to manage not to hit the highest limit of the DAC's input level. My env is as follows:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
E50:
- Default Output Device: Yes,
- Manufacturer: Topping,
- Output Channels: 2,
- Current SampleRate: 768000,
- Transport: USB,
- Output Source: Default,
- Current Firmware: v1.06

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Finally, I've successfully eliminated Topping E50's PNL Error when using it on macOS. The critical factor is the output loudness of the music app. Please consider setting the output loudness less than max even if you use E50 in DAC mode:
View attachment 201759

In my case, the PNL error happened every time right after when the music started sounding loud. I presume that E50 might not be able to accept too loud sound input, so I should manage the output that doesn't hit the expected upper dB threshold. My env is as follows:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
E50:
- Default Output Device: Yes,
- Manufacturer: Topping,
- Output Channels: 2,
- Current SampleRate: 768000,
- Transport: USB,
- Output Source: Default,
- Current Firmware: v1.06
Please No Loud ?

tommynovember7

Sorry for my poor description. All that I did was set the Music app's output volume a little bit down. It worked well for me. I used the Music app with max output volume, and the E50 often showed the PNL error.

Last edited:

slackerpo

Sorry for my poor description. All that I did was set the Music app's output volume a little bit down. It worked well for me. I used the Music app with max output volume, and the E50 often showed the PNL error.

this is really interesting, ill give it a try on windows. thanks for the comment.

marses

Manage to replicate this with this video
somewhat consistently. Puttting the volume on windows slider to max and playing the intro, will tirgger the PNL. Bring the volume to 80 would fix it.

Edited, bringing volume to 80 would reduce the probability of happening. It still happen but on rarer ocassion.

PS. I think any gamernexus intro would do.
@JohnYang1997 any pointer / ideas perhaps?

Last edited:

slackerpo

Manage to replicate this with this video
somewhat consistently. Puttting the volume on windows slider to max and playing the intro, will tirgger the PNL. Bring the volume to 80 would fix it.

PS. I think any gamernexus intro would do.
@JohnYang1997 any pointer / ideas perhaps?

can you report wich is the minimum volume to trigger the error? is it 80? or could it work with 98 or else? thank you.

marses

From 80, it will happen 3/5. As you increase, it will happen more frequently. At 100, I got 100%.

slackerpo

i have been using v1.07 since day one. i brought the unit back, though i started using android instead of windows, and i can report no errors triggered. i've been through several hours of playback already. kinda happy about it, so i can give it proper use again. hopefully this wont jinx it.

Top Bottom