• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping e50 / l50 popping issue windows 11

formdissolve

Forum Donor
It's definitely an issue with the ASIO driver.. my Hidizs S9 Pro driver does this same thing. Funny, the RME ASIO driver never had this issue.. so I blame Thesycon (E50 driver) and Comtrue (Hidizs driver) for the issues..

ahl

I am using e50 only on win 11 laptop. Only for streaming apps. but haven't noticed any popping sound. I dont use this pc for any other use. anything wrong with l50? maybe try powering both devices with separate power banks or atleast try one.

Lavawood

Forum Donor
Found this thread too late

I just had a very unsettling experience with a brand new Topping E50. I plug it into my system and it sounds wonderful, then a snap so loud I was afraid the whole system fried. Thought it might be something I did, the new tubes in my amp. 10 min later again SNAP! Like lightning. Feared my speakers were fried. Immediately shut everything down. Plugged my khadas tone board back in, everything was fine.

Any ideas?

Fanless pc with SOtM USBEXP feeding khadas toneboard, into rogue Cronus magnum with new tubes. Zero issues until I plugged the Topping E50 in.

Windows 10 Home
I7-8700 3.20 Ghz
Fanless, SSD
SOtM USBEXP pci card

Pop was during playback
Zero issue with khadas toneboard or cord Qutest.

Last edited:

nsfgp

@Lavawood Test it one thing at a time from the simplest setup. Looks like you are using USB output of the Soundcard to the E50. That is another layer of hardware/drivers that would complicate things before you confirm where the issue comes from.
Use the MB's USB port first into E50 + install the Topping ASIO driver + use a proven player like Foobar2K. Then test/use ASIO device (Topping driver) and windows WASAPI (default topping exclusive device) both ways and see if you run into issues. Make sure no other windows-related tasks like win-update in the background, etc. are running.
If no issue then it is likely related to your sound card. I tend to think you do not need that PCIE soundcard ... the E50 is good enough to handle the USB signal from the MB which should not be too bad. What kind of drivers you are using for the sound card's USB output to the E50??

Lavawood

Forum Donor
Great feedback, thank you!

Trust me, the SOtM USB card cleared out all pc chatter.
Works perfectly with any other dac I’ve tried.

This is no ordinary sound card.

I will not risk my speakers to troubleshoot this issue. However, I haven’t tried the motherboard usb, I’m using the driver for the usb card.

This isn’t a little pop, this sounds like a fat capacitor discharging into my tweeters.
I don’t have dummy speakers to experiment with.

This experience motivates me to get off this pc. The Zen Stream looks good. I’m 80/20, tidal/vinyl.
The E50 will work with that, right?

nsfgp

@Lavawood Yeah that sound card looks like a piece of work. But most here are interested in finding out if your E50 is working properly as expected.
Personally I use USB ports of my old LGA1155 MB, pi2B, p1B to my DACs. No issue at all.
No experience with ifi stuff. Not sure why you already thinking a new streamer before you figure out if the E50 is bad.

Just FYI Topping just released V5.45 driver. Lazy ass Topping skipped over the Thesycon V5.40 driver which has the following fix that might be of concern:
* Fix: ASIO did not work if device is connected with invalid clock and
than switched to a valid clock

So you should try the V5.45 driver out.

Lavawood

Forum Donor
What I wanted was to control tidal with my iPhone through a zen stream and get my pc out of it.
So the E50 sought to destroy my speakers and the zen doesn’t work on WiFi.
Just for the heck of it I tried the topping driver and the motherboard USB to topping and got nothing. The DAC didn’t see anything and Windows didn’t recognize there was a dac. Tried the SOtM USB, still nothing either way. I installed foobar and don’t have a library, saw no linkage to Tidal. I give up.

Plugged my khadas toneboard back in business.
I must be too old for this

izbit

I've had similar issues in the past, seemingly tied to starting and stopping of any audio playback by Windows or any other app. Disabling "Exclusive Mode" in the unit Properties (Advanced tab) from the Sound control panel made it go away for me.

Krit

I bought a new topping E70 and i had similar issue while browsing internet i got quiet pops that's annoying especially for that high price. So i need to buy new motherboard with spdif and problem will be completely resolved ?

OS w11 latest driver and firmware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom