• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 / L50 Impressions

TheFrator

Hi all,

I upgraded from a Schiit Modi / Magni 3+ stack to a Topping E50 / L50 stack last weekend and the improvement has been stellar. My DT 1990s picked up resolution in bass that I hadn't experienced before and the mids on my HD 660s are simply extravagant. I listen to mostly R&B and rock and I just felt like sharing my impression of this product.

KraZyMartZ

Looking into the same Stack myself as soon as I have some spare cash on my hands / find a great offer on them 2nd hand I will strike :D

KraZyMartZ

Yes I know, but there are always some early adopters which have a high "throughput" on new hardware and put it back on the market after a short while for a reasonable discount. I am in no rush currently I am running a Audio-GD 11.28 PE which is doing a well enough job that I don't have any need to upgrade right away. I use my setup 50% for work and 50% casual listening and Gaming. But since I will be moving very soon I am already planning out my new desk and maybe the addition of some Powered Monitors as well (currently I only have my LCD-X connected). I will come back to your kind offer as soon as I have them and will report on my findings compared to my current setup.

KraZyMartZ

Quick questions does anyone here sport the Stack above together with the P50? I know size-wise it is not a perfect fit but in my setup it would not be stacked anyhow so it would not matter. Is there any real world advantage using the P50 at the end of the day? I know for some AMPs and DACs replacing the standard PS can make a huge difference and since the E50 does not even come with a PS in the first place I would have bought a 30+ USD / EUR unit anyhow and might as well go the full way. From the Specs it should at least in theory be a great fit but I might be missing something or it is not making any difference whatsoever and I rather spend the 100 in cash elsewhere.

KTN46

Hi all,

I upgraded from a Schiit Modi / Magni 3+ stack to a Topping E50 / L50 stack last weekend and the improvement has been stellar. My DT 1990s picked up resolution in bass that I hadn't experienced before and the mids on my HD 660s are simply extravagant. I listen to mostly R&B and rock and I just felt like sharing my impression of this product.

I leave here my generic comment about how everything here is audibly transparent, how your impression is marred by observer bias, and how your Audio Gear can be more than adequately driven by your previous stack.

By all means enjoy your product, the E50/L50 is very very good, but volume matched and blind tested I would expect them to sound identical to your previous setup.

OP
T

TheFrator

I leave here my generic comment about how everything here is audibly transparent, how your impression is marred by observer bias, and how your Audio Gear can be more than adequately driven by your previous stack.

By all means enjoy your product, the E50/L50 is very very good, but volume matched and blind tested I would expect them to sound identical to your previous setup.
More than likely. Placebo is a hell of drug. Also I realized along the way that I should've powered the Modi with wall power and power from my computer's USB.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all,

I'm glad to hear these are working out for you. Given their stellar objective performance, I'm not at all surprised. My finger is currently resting on the trigger for this stack:

Only thing holding me back is that I currently have active speakers on my desk that I'll need to replace to enjoy the lovely PA5.

jbooba

Hi,
Just wondering are you able to use the L50 as preamp with volume control for monitors? Thanks!

dsnyder0cnn

Hi,
Just wondering are you able to use the L50 as preamp with volume control for monitors? Thanks!
I've not purchased the stack yet, but from looking at the docs, the L50 lacks preamp functionality. Pitty…as that would make it a lot more useful.

I currently have the Topping DX3 Pro+ on my desk, and it works brilliantly for that…volume control works for monitors, headphones or both.

jbooba

Cool thanks, yep thats what i understood from their manuals. I have the ifi Zen Dac currently on my desk, but i really need some sort of switcher for 2 workstations (2 inputs and knob - volume control). I am missing optical in on my Zen, and it is not really made for IEMs. Think i will try the Topping a50s (dont care abut balanced for my Presonus Eris), grab at some point the Topping d50s from my living room, and upgrade my stereo part there to the D30 Pro ... d50s/a50s stack will be perfect.

Cheers.

hidehide

I've not purchased the stack yet, but from looking at the docs, the L50 lacks preamp functionality. Pitty…as that would make it a lot more useful.

I currently have the Topping DX3 Pro+ on my desk, and it works brilliantly for that…volume control works for monitors, headphones or both.
Actually the E50 has preamp functionality and you can control the volume with the remote control. But it would much better if we can have a physical knob..

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

Actually the E50 has preamp functionality and you can control the volume with the remote control. But it would much better if we can have a physical knob..
Yes. My challenge when using the E50 + L50 stack with active monitors is that I prefer to use the L50's volume knob when listening to headphones, which means setting attenuation at or close to 0 dB on the E50. Unfortunately, unlike my Topping Pre90 and DX3 Pro+, the E50 does not "remember" separate volume settings for each output. So, if I ever forget to turn the E50 back down to -35 dB or so before I switch from headphones to speakers, I'll get blasted!

I've gone back to using the DX3 Pro+ at my desk for now, but my long-term plan is to upgrade to passive speakers (GR-Research LGK2.0). With the E50 + L50 + PA5 stack, I'll have fully independent control of levels using the two physical volume knobs, so no surprises when I switch the L50 off and it passes-through to the speaker amp. :)

PSX_20220423_101208.jpeg

wacomme

Yes. My challenge when using the E50 + L50 stack with active monitors is that I prefer to use the L50's volume knob when listening to headphones, which means setting attenuation at or close to 0 dB on the E50. Unfortunately, unlike my Topping Pre90 and DX3 Pro+, the E50 does not "remember" separate volume settings for each output. So, if I ever forget to turn the E50 back down to -35 dB or so before I switch from headphones to speakers, I'll get blasted!

I've gone back to using the DX3 Pro+ at my desk for now, but my long-term plan is to upgrade to passive speakers (GR-Research LGK2.0). With the E50 + L50 + PA5 stack, I'll have fully independent control of levels using the two physical volume knobs, so no surprises when I switch the L50 off and it passes-through to the speaker amp. :)

View attachment 203737
I have similar wants and needs - headphone + powered speakers. I also have the Dx3Pro+ that I'm looking to upgrade. Isn't there another Topping setup that produces similar sound at the E50 + L50 + PA5 combo, but is less costly and doesn't require three devices? I want balanced inputs and would love the volume control and remembered settings that I have with the DX3Pro+. Is the E50 + L50 + PA5 really the best solution?

hidehide

I have similar wants and needs - headphone + powered speakers. I also have the Dx3Pro+ that I'm looking to upgrade. Isn't there another Topping setup that produces similar sound at the E50 + L50 + PA5 combo, but is less costly and doesn't require three devices? I want balanced inputs and would love the volume control and remembered settings that I have with the DX3Pro+. Is the E50 + L50 + PA5 really the best solution?
Same requirement and now I’m looking at Aune X8 + Aune X7s. It has a much nicer volume knob in both dac and headphone amp. The dac has preamp and balanced output for active monitors. However, the connection from the dac to headphone is single ended.

dsnyder0cnn

You won't need the PA5 if you have powered speakers. Having tried running a headphones + active monitors system via DX3 Pro+ and then E50 + L50, I can say that the E50 + L50 is not a good way to go…it's awkward to switch between headphones and speakers due to the fact that the E50 does not remember volume settings. The only sane option is to max the volume on the E50 and L50 and then control the volume in software using your media player software. Not idea though if you want bit-perfect playback.

If you're willing to switch to passive speakers (my plan), the E50 + L50 + PA5 is wonderful. You have two physical volume knobs, giving completely independent level control between headphones and speakers.

If you're staying with powered speakers, the D30 Pro + A30 Pro stack does not solve the problem either. You're looking at stepping up to the D90 SE + A90. That, or inserting a Topping Pre90 into the mix (I do have one, but it's in a different system).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You won't need the PA5 if you have powered speakers. Having tried running a headphones + active monitors system via DX3 Pro+ and then E50 + L50, I can say that the E50 + L50 is not a good way to go…it's awkward to switch between headphones and speakers due to the fact that the E50 does not remember volume settings. The only sane option is to max the volume on the E50 and L50 and then control the volume in software using your media player software. Not idea though if you want bit-perfect playback.

If you're willing to switch to passive speakers (my plan), the E50 + L50 + PA5 is wonderful. You have two physical volume knobs, giving completely independent level control between headphones and speakers.

If you're staying with powered speakers, the D30 Pro + A30 Pro stack does not solve the problem either. You're looking at stepping up to the D90 SE + A90. That, or inserting a Topping Pre90 into the mix (I do have one, but it's in a different system).

The Topping/ShenzhenAudio EX5 has independent volume control for headphone and pre-amp modes. It's a good solution for driving both headphones and active monitors. In theory, the EX5 is a downgrade from my D50s/A50s/P50 stack in the amp department, however I can't say I have any problems driving my HD660s and the EX5 is a considerable upgrade from a useability perspective and solved a ground loop issue I had after acquiring my iLoud MTMs.

dsnyder0cnn

The Topping/ShenzhenAudio EX5 has independent volume control for headphone and pre-amp modes. It's a good solution for driving both headphones and active monitors. In theory, the EX5 is a downgrade from my D50s/A50s/P50 stack in the amp department, however I can't say I have any problems driving my HD660s and the EX5 is a considerable upgrade from a useability perspective and solved a ground loop issue I had after acquiring my iLoud MTMs.
Yes. The DX3 Pro+ is really tough to beat for this use case.

wacomme

And then where does the DX5 fit in the mix? It seems like the DX5 is a more powerful EX5 for $100 increase in cost.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And then where does the DX5 fit in the mix? It seems like the DX5 is a more powerful EX5 for $100 increase in cost.

Yes, they are pretty similar in form and function. The EX5 was built to ShenzhenAudio's specification and was originally exclusive to them (i'm not sure if it still is). The DX5 was released 9 months later and has a slightly better measuring DAC and more powerful amp. The difference in DACs would certainly not be audible, the better amp may be of benefit if you have particularly difficult to drive headphones.

Top Bottom