• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50+L50 - balanced out with single ended in for best SNR/crosstalk?

KomoGomolaa

Hi there. i am trying to figure out if the following cabling combination is the best for E50+L50 in terms of technical superiority.

Will i gain the best possible SNR/crosstalk if i use balanced TRS from the E50 output which will be connected as RCA (singled ended) input to L50?

I'm asking if this makes any sense. Because from E50 specs, balanced output has slightly better specs than singled ended. On the other side, for L50, singled ended input has better specs than balanced. So i thought i would make a custom TRS to RCA cable for interconnection. I'm currently fully balanced (TRS out/TRS in).

Please don't tell me (i know that already) that i will not be able to hear any differences - i know i won't.

But i'm just asking (because i'm total electrical noob) if such combination (TRS+RCA) is technically/electrically superior to using fully balanced in E50+L50 combo.

OP
K

KomoGomolaa

I wasn't asking about this. Better in what sense? Double the voltage, grounding, hum/buzz rejection, etc? I already know that. (And i even had experience where pure balanced connection did nothing to help with my ground loops - i had to manually lift the ground on one end. I think that using balanced doesn't somehow guarantee the best possible results.) Now back to the original question...

Why that specs differences between balanced/single ended in E50+L50? Can somebody explain?

So again, would TRS+RCA as i proposed make a slightly better technical performance?

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The L50 doesn't have balanced output. Even the 4pin xlr is SE, it is there just for convenience.

b7676

This Thread just happened, discussing the merits of the cable you are asking about.

As to why they measure slightly differently, in the first pages of the L50 review j.yang reports the input impedance are "2.5k for SE, 2k for Bal. Thank you very much." Perhaps this is why.

OP
K

KomoGomolaa

I did my homework and after doing some research on balanced vs. unbalanced signals/connections, I will answer myself.

Converting balanced out from E50 to single-ended input of L50 would probably add unwanted distortions/noise.

The proper way here is to go fully balanced from E50 to L50. No need to discuss this any further.

Bob101

Hi there. i am trying to figure out if the following cabling combination is the best for E50+L50 in terms of technical superiority.

Will i gain the best possible SNR/crosstalk if i use balanced TRS from the E50 output which will be connected as RCA (singled ended) input to L50?

I'm asking if this makes any sense. Because from E50 specs, balanced output has slightly better specs than singled ended. On the other side, for L50, singled ended input has better specs than balanced. So i thought i would make a custom TRS to RCA cable for interconnection. I'm currently fully balanced (TRS out/TRS in).

Please don't tell me (i know that already) that i will not be able to hear any differences - i know i won't.

But i'm just asking (because i'm total electrical noob) if such combination (TRS+RCA) is technically/electrically superior to using fully balanced in E50+L50 combo.
Fairly new to the forum, but I think I can help in advising against it. I use my Topping E50 as a USB-only PCM DAC in a hifi setup.
I use the balanced out to an unbalanced in on a second amplifier. I do this with homemade TRS to RCA cables, where I leave the R on the jack open, not connected to anything. Problem is: a little, but audible click everytime a song or album starts and stops in every mediaplayer in Windows. I can not attest to this effect in streaming.
Use balanced connectors whenever you can: they are simply superior, no discussion. The only reason unbalanced connections in hifi are still around is that the difference is inaudible in 99,99% of domestic settings, manufacturers like cheapening out on a few cents in opamps and count on consumers accepting good enough.

JediMa

I did my homework and after doing some research on balanced vs. unbalanced signals/connections, I will answer myself.

Converting balanced out from E50 to single-ended input of L50 would probably add unwanted distortions/noise.

The proper way here is to go fully balanced from E50 to L50. No need to discuss this any further.
Which cables are you going to use for that?

Top Bottom