• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Coaxial Drop Out issues

Bel Canto

Have been happily using my Topping E50 dac between Bluesound node and amp via coaxial cable for a few months until the last few days. Out of nowhere, it's now having the drop outs that plagued the D30pro, E30 and D50s.

I've tested the node and same cable with my other dacs and there are no issues, works perfectly.

Any ideas on what to try to fix it?

OP
B

Bel Canto

Contact Topping.
Last time I contacted Topping about this issue on my D30pro, the response was they are UNABLE to fix the issue, so I don't think I'll bother with that again.

The assured me the issue was resolved on the E50 but I guess not.

Reactions: Mat

Marc v E

Major Contributor
This is a long shot, but it may help:
In the bluesound node settings there is a feature called "audio trim". Make sure it's turned off.

Btw: i noticed it too with the dx7pro with an optical out from my tv, while I never ecperienced it on my desktop, feeding it with the output of a raspberry pi.

OP
B

Bel Canto

This is a long shot, but it may help:
In the bluesound node settings there is a feature called "audio trim". Make sure it's turned off.

Btw: i noticed it too with the dx7pro with an optical out from my tv, while I never ecperienced it on my desktop, feeding it with the output of a raspberry pi.
The audio trim feature in the node is off, Thanks.

OP
B

Bel Canto

with other coax cable gives the same problem?
Have tried 3 different coaxial cables, reversed the cables and all have drop outs. Pain because I have a really decent coaxial cable that I can't use now.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last time I contacted Topping about this issue on my D30pro, the response was they are UNABLE to fix the issue, so I don't think I'll bother with that again.

The assured me the issue was resolved on the E50 but I guess not.
You probably should try contacting them again. I am sure Topping has sold a lot of electronics so the percent failure is pretty low, but I don’t hear about similar failures so early on in a product life…

OP
B

Bel Canto

You probably should try contacting them again. I am sure Topping has sold a lot of electronics so the percent failure is pretty low, but I don’t hear about similar failures so early on in a product life…
Have sent 2 emails in the last 5 days and am yet to hear back.

This issue started immediately in the product life of a few of their dacs. It was to do with changing from an AKM receiver to a cirrus logic receiver. They no longer mention which receiver they are using.

Considering how long coaxial spiff has been around you would think it would be pretty easy to get it right.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure the failure rates on certain models has been huge. Thinking PA5, D30pro and A30pro here.
With the amount of peeps here stating they have/had issues with various Topping product one must wonder about the failure rate. I suggested Topping as a suitable product for years here at ASR but not now. I can't recommend product that apparently has a unreasonable failure rate.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have sent 2 emails in the last 5 days and am yet to hear back.

This issue started immediately in the product life of a few of their dacs. It was to do with changing from an AKM receiver to a cirrus logic receiver. They no longer mention which receiver they are using.

Considering how long coaxial spiff has been around you would think it would be pretty easy to get it right.

@JohnYang1997 , can you help?

Trudius

Do you know if the similarly priced SMSL dacs have the same issue? I am considering one as a second DAC for my system. Thanks.

slackerpo

Do you know if the similarly priced SMSL dacs have the same issue? I am considering one as a second DAC for my system. Thanks.

i got the su-8s by smsl as a replacement, and it has worked flawlessly. good thing is that i was able to bring the e50 back to life, by using the unit exclusively with android (usb). i havent checked the coaxial input again though, as i have had previously drop outs with the pnl error popping out through that input (sony XBR-55X905F as source)

gfx_1

My Topping D50s has coax issues now, it worked flawlessly before but when I turn on the amplifier it loses it's signal (unlock). The optical, BT and USB input all work fine. The raspberry pi which feeds it (hifi berry clone) works oke.

Conclusion so far is that it doesn't like the power supply from the Aiyima A8 when that is plugged in it unlocks the coax signal. Worked for a couple of months before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom