• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING E30II Lite Next Tuesday!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to me this makes the E30 non lite redundnant

why would you need two converters when the actual difference can only be seen on a scope?

losing MQA is the cherry on the cake

Mkilbride

I'm new here and all, but based off of everything I've read the last 2~ weeks, Amps and DACS are a solved issue. If you've got a transparent DAC that has all the inputs / ouputs you want, no reason to change it until it dies. If you've got a transparent Amp that can power all your headphones without issue, then use it until it dies.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think you need to evaluate what features you need and spend your money accordingly

smsl proved with the SU-1 that $80 is all you need as far as electrical performance...

here is the new E30

to me the only bad things i dont like is that it has no vol. knob and it still runs off the long long deceased full sized Type A printer plug for PC in and I think it comes with no PSU but it comes with a USB to proprietary barrel cable... which is completely not up to what we expect in 2023!

Mkilbride

i think you need to evaluate what features you need and spend your money accordingly

smsl proved with the SU-1 that $80 is all you need as far as electrical performance...

here is the new E30

to me the only bad things i dont like is that it has no vol. knob and it still runs off the long long deceased full sized Type A printer plug for PC in and I think it comes with no PSU but it comes with a USB to proprietary barrel cable... which is completely not up to what we expect in 2023!
There's a coupon take 5$ off from their website as well.

SHENZHENAUDIO5 takes off 5$. Free shipping, so 94$ total for a state of the art DAC.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I guess this is Topping response to Smsl su1.
More like the C100, no?

Model
C100
E30 II Lite
SU-1
Price​
$120​
$100​
$80​
DAC1x AK4493S1x AK4493S 1x AK4493S
Display​
✓​
✓​
✕​
Remote​
✓​
✓​
✕​
Bluetooth​
✓​
✕​
✕​

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to me the C100 is still superior

it has BT (eh who cares?_

it has MQA (LOL!!!)

it runs off standard type-c which is a lot better than the custom Topping power cable and type A

it was around $100 in the last sale

alexanderino

the question i would have is that are we expecting companies to move to type-c so they dont have to include a charger?
At this point, it wouldn't be a bad thing. I need more proprietary chargers like the proverbial hole in the head. What would be desirable is manufacturers standardising on USB-C for data and power (and a separate USB-C port with USB PD for more power-hungry devices such as amplifiers). This will help with future-proofing and extending the devices' service life. A recent EU ruling has strong-armed even Apple to move away from Lightning to USB-C (miracles do happen!), thereby enhancing USB-C's ubiquity.

also do people find proprietry 12v adapters to be a pain?
Yes. Should the adapter die, will there be a replacement available for a reasonable price in the future? Highly unlikely. USB-C + USB PD is the way forward, and there are plenty of reasonably priced USB-C chargers and cables.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i dont think its a complete death sentence IF theyre using pretty standard power barrels

right now i'm using an old Fosi dac w/ ess 9018s as a test... it only requires 12v 1a and i have a fair bit of adapters from network switches, APs etc. so it runs perfectly off a Linksys adapter

BUT i mean the market for sub $150 dacs is saturated and from my testing of the stuff of the half dozen I have they're all pretty damn close enough.

delta76

Major Contributor
I'm new here and all, but based off of everything I've read the last 2~ weeks, Amps and DACS are a solved issue. If you've got a transparent DAC that has all the inputs / ouputs you want, no reason to change it until it dies. If you've got a transparent Amp that can power all your headphones without issue, then use it until it dies.
I said it a few times and I will say it again - business strategy of many Chinese manufacturers - not just with audio - is to flood market with a lot of products with a lot of overlaps. They will make sure that every segment of their targeted market is filled, something for everyone, and then 6 months later release new version with a few more features/a bit better measurements.

and sadly you will not be able to buy once and be done because the devices are not built to last. you are lucky to get 2 years out of them, and they'd hope you will buy something new (And supposedly better) at this point

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
ehhh i question that longevity argument especially as it pertains to dacs

these are low power single board things that under little stress

i'm of this opinion these dacs will outlast you... BUT this is topping we are talking abouit

rongon

It looks like the 5V barrel connector socket would allow powering the E30II with an upgraded (perhaps quieter) PSU, while using the USB connection for data only. That's a nice audiophool tweak. You know, some folks thing DACs sound better when powered by a linear regulated supply rather than an SMPS. For what it's worth...

rongon

Is there any advantage gained from use of the XU-316 USB interface in the SMSL SU-1 compared to the slightly older XU-208 used in the Topping E30II Lite?

Anti3d

This should perform roughly the same as DX1 since both use AK4493s, no?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
It looks like the 5V barrel connector socket would allow powering the E30II with an upgraded (perhaps quieter) PSU, while using the USB connection for data only. That's a nice audiophool tweak. You know, some folks thing DACs sound better when powered by a linear regulated supply rather than an SMPS. For what it's worth...

there's something i've seen quite often and its on the M300se... that is the dac has ONE type-c in for power and a 2nd type-c in for your music data.

This makes sense? but at the same time, it doesnt... the type-c spec should be able to keep power and data from interference and there isnt much power involved (ie 5v 1a)

My assumption about sound is that these should all sound and measure quite similar.

The AK4493 has been around for a while and just about everyone who has this kind of technical engineering can make a close to sota experience for $100.

I'm on my C100 and its absolutely as good as it gets for the money or even 3 or 4 times the money in real world operation.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Is there any advantage gained from use of the XU-316 USB interface in the SMSL SU-1 compared to the slightly older XU-208 used in the Topping E30II Lite?
The 316 has more processing power, but that's only any use if you have something that needs it like MQA.

Top Bottom