• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 - worst sound detailing

OP
supernova

supernova

Hah the results of a blind test when I had no idea what DAC is playing or has it changed from the previous listening - listening to classical music I was right 7 out of 10 times, rock 6 out of 10 times
Another test with which I thought I might do better: I didn't know the first DAC I start to listen to but I knew that the second is going to be a different one: 4 out of 5 times.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you haven't level matched the test is worthless.

How can I make it on mac?

Well, the OS is not the issue. The question is: what hardware do you have to record the output of the DAC's?

OP
supernova

supernova

Well, the OS is not the issue. The question is: what hardware do you have to record the output of the DAC's?
Oh its hardware. No at all)

OP
supernova

supernova

I did not adjust the levels. That was a test for me if I could really go 9 out of 10 but even with no levels adjusted the results are only slightly better than guessing.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sound difference is huge. It's enormous.

I did not adjust the levels. That was a test for me if I could really go 9 out of 10 but even with no levels adjusted the results are only slightly better than guessing.

Are the differences huge, enormous or..
even with no levels adjusted the results are only slightly better than guessing ?

Just curious which of the statements are the most valid.

threni

Major Contributor
OP
supernova

supernova

Are the differences huge, enormous or..
even with no levels adjusted the results are only slightly better than guessing ?

Just curious which of the statements are the most valid.
That is what the test showed: only slightly better than guessing
Just approved what Ltig said in the first message to this post.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The biggest issue is that not only the technical performance determines how something sounds but also how it looks, feels and what one (thinks) they know as well as what others have said about products.

When one 'equalizes' the playing field by removing level differences, filter differences, and above all the brain part (knowing what is playing) you only leave the technical performance as 'input'.

Whenever you find audible differences it is best to try to determine what to look for in differences.
Once you have learned those differences then level match and try to test without knowing what is what and try to focus on what you heard.
When you can't reproduce with statistical certainty then you know it isn't of electrical origin.

The weird thing is that when you test 'sighted' again later and even when you know there are no objectiv differences you can still hear differences when you know what is playing.
To some folks this is the main reason to distrust blind testing. In reality it is not being open truly minded about different test methods.

billdylan

Hey There !!...Greetings from a New Member....:)
Can Anyone Recommend a Cheap DVD player as a source ...That Works.....With A newly purchased Topping E30 DAC ..I've Tried 3 Sources...cd and dvd players ..optical and coaxial.....and ......all Suffer drop outs to varying degrees....What a Croc ...My Old Audio Alchemy DDE V 1.1 has no problems ...so much for upgrading cheaply.......Thats life ...ha..ha..Thanks Guys ..

Majestyk

I have recently made a post where I have asked if I am deaf or there is some system problem. So it appeared to be custom DAC having some issue. As I mentioned I couldn't get rid of the feeling to make every song louder to hear that juice but because of the overall loudness I couldn't listen for long.
So the creator of that DAC recommended me to try to listen to an AK chip, saying that it just a matter of personal preference. So I ordered Topping E30 based on AK.

I always thought that I am the one that can't distinguish one DAC from another so it doesn't really matter which one to buy. I haven't ever compared DACs before and reading all these forums saying - 90% of audiophiles exaggerate the sound difference they can hear - I thought I am one of them so I should just buy whatever is on sale.

But these 2 DACs are like different worlds. I have never been so wrong about myself ;D. Custom DAC is crystal clear, so reference so airy such a wide stage. But I couldn't listen to a single rock album using it. It wasn't fast enough to follow the song and that issue described before was killing me. However contemporary classic was perfect, that sound issue not so noticeable.

Topping E30 - everything is fine here with this issue, it's balanced and it's fast and lively ( for some reason too many people wrote in forums that ESS is lively and AK is clear but for me it is upside down and it is definitely not something that I imagine. ). I'm listening to rock music as well as to classic music and I am quite happy . But where are all those details? Where is that stage?

I am absolutely sure that I do not deceive myself on what I hear. Sound difference is huge. It's enormous.

My question is, if I do not have a budget of an audiophile - what should I buy to ge the best from both worlds?

Updated: Drop HD 6XX -> drop thx aaa one ( no balanced inputs ) -> mogami RCA cables -> custom made DAC based on ES9038Q2M chip with amanero USB input and bluetooth module -> klotz usb cable -> Anker hub -> MacBook Pro 16 11.4 iOS -> AppleMusic

My findings with the E30 are the complete opposite. I think this could be the sleeper DAC of 2021/22. It completely destroys my Logitech Transporter ($2000 original price tag). I can even handicap the E30 and play it with slightly lower volume, and it sounds better. The E30 has plenty of detail (more so than the Transporter) and what I didn't expect is it also has a nice dose of warmth to it. This is where other DAC's I have pitted against the Transporter failed. They were too (and I know this word gets used a lot and I tire of it myself sometimes) analytical (or too detail oriented).

And it's funny you mention the soundstage not being as wide because it's wider on my E30 than the Transporter. I have a high end switcher which I use to blind compare DAC's at the same time but the differences between these two DAC's were so great I didn't even need it this time around, because the wider soundstage was a dead give away that I was listening to the E30.

Anyway, I'm going to tell you straight up why you "couldn't get rid of the feeling to make every song louder to hear".

It's your HD6XX headphones. They lack a considerable amount of detail and have recessed vocals. So they give you this need to want to turn the volume up higher and higher until your ears get fatigued.

I suggest you try a different pair of headphones (maybe start with the HD600) OR try your 650's without the inner 'disc' pads.

Top Bottom