• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 USB input

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a CCA. This is also why I need to do some calculations:
-average price for used CCA is ~50 EUR
-toslink to coaxial adapter ~12-15 EUR
-Coaxial cable ~7-10 EUR

So, at least 75 EUR to get this working. I should've bought a DAC with double optical input or a DAC-streamer...
I was thinking of the raspberry pi, but from what I read it's a bit complicated to setup. Is there a total noob guide which I could follow?

Are you in the UK- message me if so, I might be able to find used of all parts mentioned in my inventory

EDIT- just seen you are going with the Pi- probably the more versatile option tbh- not easiest but most versatile

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice!

Finally, I have decided to go for the Raspberry Pi solution.

Two more questions, if I may:
Will the Raspberry Pi Zero W be enough for running moode or volumio?
Will this cable be good to connect the rpi to the Topping USB interface?
View attachment 81196

Again, thank you everyone
I'm afraid that I can't reliably comment on the RPi Zero W as I use an RPi 4. The RPi 4 has USB A ports and so I connect it to my DAC with the cable that came with the DAC. It also has an ethernet port which is useful (although not vital) when setting up Volumio or Moode.

For RPi Zero you might want to check out
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-pi-as-a-music-server.9130/page-3#post-259174

@georgewalk might be able to comment further.

sinthemau

Hello,
I just ordered a E30 and I would like to listen to FLACs loaded onto a Hard Disk.
Anyone knows if is it possible to do so?

I mean to plug the HD in the E30 USB and the RCA output to my Hi-Fi Amplifier AUX in. Maybe using my smartphone to browse my song library...is my thought correct???

Thanks so much

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
I just ordered a E30 and I would like to listen to FLACs loaded onto a Hard Disk.

I mean to plug the HD in the E30 USB and the RCA output to my Hi-Fi Amplifier AUX in. Maybe using my smartphone to browse my song library...is my thought correct???

Thanks so much

No- there needs to be some player software "reading" the files on the disk (be that a network store or USB connected)- it is the player that connects to the DAC- so your phone would be the one connected to the DAC.

The DAC has no "player" - you would need a streamer DAC or some form of other computer connected to the E30

Sukie

Forum Donor
Hello,

Thanks so much
I will bang my Raspberry Pi drum!

An RPi is probably the cheapest way to connect an external hard drive (I presume that's what we're talking about) to a DAC in a usable way (unless you connect the external hard drive to your PC). The hard drive is connected to the RPi via one of the USB ports (an RPi 4 has 4 such ports). You can then configure everything to be controlled by your smartphone.

The even cheaper (and easier option) is the transfer your FLAC audios to a your smartphone (depends on the size of your collection and the capacity on your phone). The problem with this is that it tethers your phone to the DAC and you need to keep plugging in/unplugging.

Setting up an RPi requires a bit of effort, but is fairly straightforward.

flvtch

Hi - I am wanting to get a DAC/AMP desktop combo for work. Eyes set on E30/L30 Stack. A few noob questions:

(a) E30 can be plugged into the mains and then connect each channel to the amp using RCA cables; does the Amp draw power from the E30 or does that need to be plugged in too (only have 1 plug but a 2nd can be sourced)?;

(b) I don't intend to use the stack with my work laptop and instead, prefer to connect my USB-C android phone via USB and use either UAPP/foobar or spotify - do i just need to get a USB-B to USB-C cable to connect the e30 to the phone? Will the phone introduce interference over LTE/4G; and

(c) will this stack have output impedance issues with my CIEMs? Initially wanted the DX3Pro but saw the issues contained with that and have landed on this. Open to other suggestions.

Thanks,

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A: The amp and DAC are separate items with their own power (very different) supplies.

B: I have no idea, someone else will probably answer this.

C: No issues with CIEMs at all, perfectly suited for that task.

flvtch

A: The amp and DAC are separate items with their own power (very different) supplies.

B: I have no idea, someone else will probably answer this. If anyone can help on this i'd be grateful!!

C: No issues with CIEMs at all, perfectly suited for that task.

Many thanks for a fast turnaround on (a) and (c) above, (c) especially.

For (a), I can see from Topping's website that the L30 comes with an AC adaptor so I can plug that into the mains and the E30 comes with a DC to USB A cable (fortunately the plug socket has a neighbouring USB A port for power - so hoping to power the E30 that way)!

Many thanks again @solderdude

Atanasi

Forum Donor
(b) I don't intend to use the stack with my work laptop and instead, prefer to connect my USB-C android phone via USB and use either UAPP/foobar or spotify - do i just need to get a USB-B to USB-C cable to connect the e30 to the phone? Will the phone introduce interference over LTE/4G; and
A USB 2.0 C-to-B would work, but I use either a C-to-A adapter with the stock cable or a PD-hub, which allows charging at the same time. A hub with a detachable cable like Uni is more comfortable for a phone.

I have not noticed any interference.

flvtch

A USB 2.0 C-to-B would work, but I use either a C-to-A adapter with the stock cable or a PD-hub, which allows charging at the same time. A hub with a detachable cable like Uni is more comfortable for a phone.

I have not noticed any interference.

Thank you @Atanasi. So you recommend something like this USB C-to-A adaptor? Please could you link what you mean by PD-hub with detachable cable? Do you have the same setup and use it with android?

Sukie

Forum Donor
Thank you @Atanasi. So you recommend something like this USB C-to-A adaptor? Please could you link what you mean by PD-hub with detachable cable? Do you have the same setup and use it with android?
I connected my android phone to my Topping DAC using the stock cable that comes with the DAC and this OTG cable. I used UAPP and the thing worked a treat.

I now prefer to use a Raspberry Pi, but only because my phone doesn't then need to be physically connected to the DAC.

Atanasi

Forum Donor
The adapter you refer is one option. It is not necessarily better than a C-to-B cable except that a C-to-A adapter is compatible with cables typically used with computers, so it is more versatile.

As for the PD-hub, I meant something like Uni USB-C hub. A detachable cable makes it more comfortable for using with a phone, and maybe with a laptop, too. The included cable may be replaced with a longer one, so a relatively heavy hub doesn't have to be carried when one lifts the phone.

Last edited:

flvtch

The adapter you refer is one option. It is not necessarily better than a C-to-B cable except that a C-to-A adapter is compatible with cables typically used with computers, so it is more versatile.

As for the PD-hub, I meant something like Uni USB-C hub. A detachable cable makes it more comfortable for using with a phone, and maybe with a laptop, too. The included cable may be replaced with a longer one, so a relatively heavy hub doesn't have to be carried when one lifts the phone.

Yeah, agree that the adaptor is more versatile. The Hub is clean i like that but little more than i wanting to spend so think the adaptor is suited in this instance as its only to connect my phone to the stack when at work. Appreciate your help!

flvtch

I connected my android phone to my Topping DAC using the stock cable that comes with the DAC and this OTG cable. I used UAPP and the thing worked a treat.

I now prefer to use a Raspberry Pi, but only because my phone doesn't then need to be physically connected to the DAC.

I keep seeing this Raspberry Pi, used as a streamer? are you able to give me an elevator pitch as to why its improved your experience from standard plug and play? thanks

Sukie

Forum Donor
I keep seeing this Raspberry Pi, used as a streamer? are you able to give me an elevator pitch as to why its improved your experience from standard plug and play? thanks
It's a cheap streaming option (but not as cheap as plugging your phone straight into the DAC).
It's convenient as you don't need to physically connect and disconnect your phone.
It's part of your home network and so can be accessed via your PC.
You can use it with different software set ups (e.g. Moode, Volumio, PiCore).
You can connect it via ethernet (added stability for some people, not an advantage for others).

None of these things improve sound quality when compared with UAPP app (which is very good).

I got into RPis thanks to this forum. Like you I kept seeing mention of them so I gave it a go. £60 for RPi4+case+power supply (I had a couple of micro SD cards hanging around so didn't need to buy these - you need one per RPi which acts as storage).

They're regarded as DIY, but they're extremely easy to assemble. Lots of good info online.

flvtch

It's a cheap streaming option (but not as cheap as plugging your phone straight into the DAC).
It's convenient as you don't need to physically connect and disconnect your phone.
It's part of your home network and so can be accessed via your PC.
You can use it with different software set ups (e.g. Moode, Volumio, PiCore).
You can connect it via ethernet (added stability for some people, not an advantage for others).

None of these things improve sound quality when compared with UAPP app (which is very good).

I got into RPis thanks to this forum. Like you I kept seeing mention of them so I gave it a go. £60 for RPi4+case+power supply (I had a couple of micro SD cards hanging around so didn't need to buy these - you need one per RPi which acts as storage).

They're regarded as DIY, but they're extremely easy to assemble. Lots of good info online.

Nice one, i appreciate you explaining that. Sounds an ideal home set-up, unfortunately my place of work don't have a wifi network for personal use so any wireless options would need to revolve around LDAC receivers.

I enjoy building devices so Raspberry Pi is on the radar when it comes to setting up a streaming network at home in the near future. Thanks

In the similar context of this thread....
I have amp Cambridge A. AXA35 paired with speakers ELAC DB62, a CCA and I'm planning to get a DAC (Topping E30 od Schiit modi 3). The CCA shall be connected to DAC using toslink, and then the DAC shall be connected to the amp, obviously. I'm listening to Tidal and Spotify. So my question is, my dilemma actually, will I improve the sound quality significantly? Does it make sense to purchase a 130$ DAC with this setup?

mucsom

Hello! I need help. Samsung Galaxy a5 (2017) is a streamer for Tidal. Connecting to a topping e30 plain data cable? (USB c-to b) this is most often referred to as a printer cable such as Ugreen. Or I need a special OTG cable (such as USB c-to b) I haven't found on the net yet. thank you, Laszlo from Hungary

Top Bottom