• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 USB input

AdrianG01

Hello,

I am trying to understand how to use the USB input from the Topping E30.
Is this port only to connect it to a PC/laptop? Or can I use this for other devices?
Would it be possible to connect a Chromecast audio to this USB port? How about a tablet running android?

I am trying to find a way to add a low-cost streamer to my setup which is Topping E30 -> Marantz Stereo amp.
The optical input is used by the TV so I am left with Coaxial and USB.

Thank you everyone for your answers.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello,

Is this port only to connect it to a PC/laptop? Or can I use this for other devices?
Would it be possible to connect a Chromecast audio to this USB port? How about a tablet running android?

I am trying to find a way to add a low-cost streamer to my setup which is Topping E30 -> Marantz Stereo amp.

You can connect an Android device via USB. Is it a USB micro or USB C port on your tablet?

Next question - what do you want to stream? Are we talking Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, locally stored audio?

What you want to stream has an impact on what set up you need. It's pretty easy to get a cheap solution. I use a Raspberry Pi4 as streamer, but plugging an android device straight into the DAC is an even cheaper solution. One problem with the latter option is that it physically tethers your device to the DAC. Let me know what you want to do and I can offer some suggestions.

OP
A

AdrianG01

You can connect an Android device via USB. Is it a USB micro or USB C port on your tablet?

Next question - what do you want to stream? Are we talking Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, locally stored audio?

What you want to stream has an impact on what set up you need. It's pretty easy to get a cheap solution. I use a Raspberry Pi4 as streamer, but plugging an android device straight into the DAC is an even cheaper solution. One problem with the latter option is that it physically tethers your device to the DAC. Let me know what you want to do and I can offer some suggestions.

The tablet has a microUSB port. I need to check if it still runs though because it's quite old and I haven't used it in a while.
Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to play spotify through spotify connect (listen on other device) through the DAC which I already installed.
Because the TV is connected to the DAC's optical input, I am left only with the USB or coaxial input on the DAC.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

You can get a spdif converter to change chromecast audio optical to coaxial no problem. Amazon, about $20

Vini darko

Major Contributor
To connect a android device you will need a otg cable. Probably best to check if your tablet is compatible with otg audio before purchasing the cable. Here's an example of the type of cable required.
Screenshot_20200901-143542.png

OP
A

AdrianG01

I just realised that if I decide to use the android tablet for this then I will manually have to remove it once in a while to charge the battery, which is a deal breaker.

OP
A

AdrianG01

You can get a spdif converter to change chromecast audio optical to coaxial no problem. Amazon, about $20
Thanks, didn't know this existed. Will this adapter/converter thing have any effect on the quality of the audio?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, didn't know this existed. Will this adapter/converter thing have any effect on the quality of the audio?
Don't believe so, never noticed any. Needs power via micro USB so another plug and cable

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Taddpole

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Will this adapter/converter thing have any effect on the quality of the audio?
A correctly working converter preserves both the bits and the synchronization of the original signal, so it shouldn't have any effect. The converter may add a little latency.

As for me, when I ran out of optical ports, I added a TOSLINK switcher.

SKBubba

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to play spotify through spotify connect (listen on other device) through the DAC which I already installed.

What model marantz? Newer ones have spotify connect built in. You connect the amp to your network via wifi or ethernet, launch the spotify app on your phone or tablet, and select the amp as the output device. No dac required.

Sukie

Forum Donor
The tablet has a microUSB port. I need to check if it still runs though because it's quite old and I haven't used it in a while.
Because the TV is connected to the DAC's optical input, I am left only with the USB or coaxial input on the DAC.

Thank you for your suggestions!
The CCA with toslink converter does sound like a good option. Personally I would avoid the direct usb connection as this ties your tablet to your dac. With CCA you can, by definition, cast.

Do you have a CCA? I'm asking because the other cheap solution is a Raspberry Pi. It's fairly easy to set up and gives you flexibility. That said, the CCA would be the easiest option.

OP
A

AdrianG01

What model marantz? Newer ones have spotify connect built in. You connect the amp to your network via wifi or ethernet, launch the spotify app on your phone or tablet, and select the amp as the output device. No dac required.
I wish it was that simple, but it's an old model (PMA-14S1). It's purely analog.

OP
A

AdrianG01

The CCA with toslink converter does sound like a good option. Personally I would avoid the direct usb connection as this ties your tablet to your dac. With CCA you can, by definition, cast.

Do you have a CCA? I'm asking because the other cheap solution is a Raspberry Pi. It's fairly easy to set up and gives you flexibility. That said, the CCA would be the easiest option.
I don't have a CCA. This is also why I need to do some calculations:
-average price for used CCA is ~50 EUR
-toslink to coaxial adapter ~12-15 EUR
-Coaxial cable ~7-10 EUR

So, at least 75 EUR to get this working. I should've bought a DAC with double optical input or a DAC-streamer...
I was thinking of the raspberry pi, but from what I read it's a bit complicated to setup. Is there a total noob guide which I could follow?

Sukie

Forum Donor
I don't have a CCA. This is also why I need to do some calculations:
-average price for used CCA is ~50 EUR
-toslink to coaxial adapter ~12-15 EUR
-Coaxial cable ~7-10 EUR

So, at least 75 EUR to get this working. I should've bought a DAC with double optical input or a DAC-streamer...
I was thinking of the raspberry pi, but from what I read it's a bit complicated to setup. Is there a total noob guide which I could follow?

The RPi does require a bit of effort, but it's fairly straightforward. There are 3 parts to it:

1. Putting the Pi together (Pi+case+micro sd card+power supply) - all straightforeard, just a few screws
2. Loading the micro sd with your chosen software. This acts a UPnP renderer. Sounds quite complicated but basically it's the bit of the set up that does the streaming. I use Moode Audio for this.
3. Download an app on to your tablet that controls the RPi. I use Bubble UPnP for this. This is the part that you interact with. You select your music here and this tells the Pi what to do.

There are various threads on here that mention RPis.

Having said that @jimbob54 and @bdwoody are normally spot on with their advice. I've not used a CCA but, if they vouch for, it then I'm sure its okay. They might be able to comment on what you get from an RPi that you don't get from a CCA.

Don't beat yourself up for not getting a DAC streamer. If you go for an all-in-one solution the you're stuck with what you've got. This way you get to change and upgrade if you're not happy.

OP
A

AdrianG01

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice!

Finally, I have decided to go for the Raspberry Pi solution.

Two more questions, if I may:
Will the Raspberry Pi Zero W be enough for running moode or volumio?
Will this cable be good to connect the rpi to the Topping USB interface?
Untitled.jpg

Again, thank you everyone

Top Bottom