• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 shocks me and turns off

Dasu

Hello,

I'd like to ask some advice on this issue I'm having with the Topping E30. Whenever I touch its shell, while audio is playing, the device turns off, sometimes also giving me a little shock. Is the device defective? I am still in my return window.

A bit more info: input is optical from a tv, the dac is connected to a liquid spark via rca cables. The issue persists independently from the power source, I've tried powering the dac with the tv usb ports, a pc, a dedicated usb charger (plugged in a dedicated socket) or even a powerbank. It still happens.

Thank you

raif71

Major Contributor
Shocking!!, actually not really as I too had experience it but never had the unit turned off on me. :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it also do it when the amp is not connected?

OP
D

Dasu

Does it also do it when the amp is not connected?

Yes, as long the rca cable is connected to the DAC the issue is present. Even if no amp is attached to the other side of the cable.

Shocking!!, actually not really as I too had experience it but never had the unit turned off on me. :)

It basically happens every time time I touch the device...

Get rid of it pronto

Yes, I am considering doing so.

What would be a good alternative in the same price range with optical input? Or should I just ask for another unit?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
What would be a good alternative in the same price range with optical input? Or should I just ask for another unit?
I would return it for another unit. No sense taking a financial hit for a defective product and it should not be resold due to the nature of the fault.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Whenever I touch its shell, while audio is playing, the device turns off, sometimes also giving me a little shock.
It it's a quick "zap' (maybe with a spark) and then it's over, it's the other way around... There is a charge on your body and YOU are shocking the Topping as that charge is discharged to ground. If you're getting continuous current through your body, the Topping (or something pugged-into it) is dangerously defective

It's related to your shoes and the carpet/flooring you're walking on, and the humidity. Or maybe you pick-up a charge when you slide out of your chair or off the sofa.

If you can touch ground to discharge yourself before touching the device you should be OK, but obviously this isn't convenient. Maybe different shoes...

ESD (electrostatic discharge) can damage electronics (especially if you directly-touch the circuit board). I work in electronics and since we do touch the boards & components we have grounded wrist straps, and special ground-straps for our shoes, conductive flooring, and grounded work mats so that a static charge can't build-up. These things are actually grounded through a high-resistance resistor. That serves two purposes... Is safe (or safer). If you accidently touch high voltage the high resistance limits the current through your body. It also means that any static charge is dissipated slowly (at lowered current) so you don't feel it or get a spark.

P.S.
There is an Anti-static spray You'd spray it on your floor or chair, or wherever the static is coming from. It might work but it doesn't last forever and you might have to re-apply every week or so... I had a chair that was generating static and it did work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom