• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 + RPI2 USB sufficient?

Streglof

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a Topping E30 DAC and want to hook it up to a RPI2 that I have laying around that will be connected to LAN and probably will be running piCorePlayer (but am willing to switch if other streaming programs will run better in combination)

I'm hearing contradictory messages about the pre-RPI4 USB connection ICW a USB DAC. Some say it works fine, others say the USB is insufficient.

Maybe it depends on the bitrate of the files playing? Largest bitrate files will be 129/24 Flac.

Anyone have any experience using a RPI2 with a E30 DAC connected by USB?

I've seen people recommend the Allo Digione for the RPI2 but to me it seems cheaper just to get a RPI4 then.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear people's experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Silver1omo

I have an older RPI B (no number, the one with only 2 mounting holes) connected via USB to a Topping D10 and using ethernet. Running picoreplayer as player only.
I do not hear any problem streaming up to 24/192 or DSD64.
There might be measurable issues, but I do not hear any.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on what I’ve read elsewhere I’d say it shouldn’t be a problem, but I’m interested in the limits of non-isolated USB inputs into competent DACs like the E30.

The pi4 is pretty cheap, tho, and has a better USB and wireless implementation. And I agree there’s no point to the Allo version for way more.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm hearing contradictory messages about the pre-RPI4 USB connection ICW a USB DAC. Some say it works fine, others say the USB is insufficient
Have a look at page 2 of the following thread:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-to-stream-wireless-to-my-existing-dac.15300/

I've only ever used as an RPi4 so can't comment. I know that it's only a (potential) problem with earlier models if you're using the ethernet port.

I've seen people recommend the Allo Digione for the RPI2 but to me it seems cheaper just to get a RPI4 then.

I think you're spot on with this. No point in using a digi out HAT if an RPi4 is cheaper, unless you specifically don't want to use USB connection. People may tell you all sorts of stuff about SQ improvements when connecting via coax, but when using a well engineered DAC (like the E30) there will be zero improvement.

Personally I'd buy an RPi4. Having said this, you've nothing to lose trying it with your existing RPi2.

OP
S

Streglof

Thanks for the replies guys, but I just thought of something: piCorePlayer allows you to select the HDMI as audio out. Might this circumvent the possible issues with USB?

Silver1omo

HDMI should not have problems.
Then again, I've never heard any pop or click or any other noise using my 2013 RPI + USB to D10.

And if you can use HDMI with no additional cost, just try it and see/hear if it gives you what you need.

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies guys, but I just thought of something: piCorePlayer allows you to select the HDMI as audio out. Might this circumvent the possible issues with USB?
Use usb - if problem buy a new rpi.

If anything is wrong it’s the lack of power on the usb rail or to many devices stealing bandwidth (usb hard drives etc).

Remember with usb the receiver determines the clock (asynchronous) but with hdmi the clock is controlled by the host (rpi). Asynchronous is always preferred.

OP
S

Streglof

Remember with usb the receiver determines the clock (asynchronous) but with hdmi the clock is controlled by the host (rpi). Asynchronous is always preferred.

Check. Thanks, good to know. Well, I just ordered my E30, hopefully will arrive tomorrow and I guess we'll see ;)

Top Bottom