• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 Polarity discussion

LeandroFlu

I know the discussion is old, sorry to raise the topic, just to make it clear, I have one of the first versions of the e30, said with "polarity defect", I put it receiving coaxial via a marantz cd4300 playing the amplifier, and the Marantz connected directly to the amplifier, playing a CD with polarity test, in short, changing the keys on the amplifier, I was never able to differentiate one from the other, that is, either I cannot differentiate because it makes no difference or Marantz also has the inverted polarity, in short, the e30 is to speculate with or without a polarity defect, it is worth much more than it cost me.

dandreye

2004 and higher have a different PCB inside.
It does not have inverted polarity anymore (on all inputs) like the previous version did.
Hi All, I've just been referred to this old thread while going through entire main E30 thread and asking questions there. Could anyone (ideally @JohnYang1997 himself) please share exact nature of the fix? Since that FW1.08(20E) published on the maker's website is only for batches 1910-2003 does it mean that the equally named/numbered FW all units from batches 2004+ shipped with is any different? I recall @JohnYang1997 initially talk about inverting COAX/OPT inputs while leaving the USB one intact (as it'd have already been inverted within XMOS chip by the "old" FW 1.08), but the fact that that FW is only for batches 1910-2003 makes me hope that a uniform approach was chosen instead, inverting it somewhere past the input merge point.

Meanwhile thanks so much to Topping and personally to @JohnYang1997 for listening to us here and fixing it rather quickly back then: it's such a relief for the purist. Just sad early buyers had to suffer, so hopefully we won't see such basic issues in any future Topping products since inception (yes I'm well aware it's mostly inaudible but it's a matter of principle assuming the whole idea is to reconstruct the original sound wave as unaltered as possible). Tbh it's extremely hard to believe that the issue escaped the Engineering/Test teams bearing D10 in mind, so it looks more like some sick managerial decision that clearly pursued short-term goals at the expense of the reputation, hence leading to higher overall costs long term than if it were done right since start. Future buyers will now demand the polarity test results for any DAC they consider buying to avoid the experience :)

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
Just asking about effect of NON updating the firmware/ soft of E30 ?
I mean I use it exclusively for streaming by USB OTG by phone, never from laptop. So no update so far. Am I missing something good ?!

jaco61

Just asking about effect of NON updating the firmware/ soft of E30 ?
I mean I use it exclusively for streaming by USB OTG by phone, never from laptop. So no update so far. Am I missing something good ?!
You can't hear any difference. So you miss nothing.

Top Bottom