• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once again, if the order of inclusion is not provided, therefore, it is not mandatory.
And how you will be reinsured at the same time is your personal addiction.
You don't have to make a big deal out of it. Turn on your items in any order you want, or do it in the safest order, that's your call. (I have a Topping E30, the first generation, and it always remembers the volume - besides it doesn't matter because the highest output level can't fry anything anyway in my setup, so the order in which I turn on my gear doesn't make a difference.)

Sokel

Master Contributor
"E30 II has built-in volume control function that
can adjust the volume from -99dB to OdB by
using the remote control, so you are able to
directly connect E30 II to power amplifier or
active speakers, and control the volume of
E30 || through remote control.
"
I'm glad you pointed out manufacturer's responsibility as long as it makes this statement.
It means that they are ready to compensate any damage up or down the chain if their device fail to follow their statement.
Don't they?

Reactions: GPJ

fluxcapacitor

If the e30 II works with a wide variety of coax & toslink sources (which the e30 DOESN'T) & this matters to you, I think you do. I am contemplating upgrading for exactly this reason.
i've been using e30ii for three weeks on optical connection, never had any drop out or such problem

conuss

I'm glad you pointed out manufacturer's responsibility as long as it makes this statement.
It means that they are ready to compensate any damage up or down the chain if their device fail to follow their statement.
Don't they?
To begin with, the manufacturer, WHICH IS SILENT!, should comment on the situation, then argue further. If he is going to keep silent, then he does not need the nuances of use, therefore, he is obliged to compensate for the damage.

Last edited:

conuss

You don't have to make a big deal out of it. Turn on your items in any order you want, or do it in the safest order, that's your call. (I have a Topping E30, the first generation, and it always remembers the volume - besides it doesn't matter because the highest output level can't fry anything anyway in my setup, so the order in which I turn on my gear doesn't make a difference.)
It was interesting to hear about the features of your setup).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
To begin with, the manufacturer, WHICH IS SILENT!, should comment on the situation, then argue further. If he is going to keep silent, then he does not need the nuances of use, therefore, he is obliged to compensate for the damage.
When he decide to answer then there's two more cases to look into to.
Meanwhile a little caution never harmed anyone.

frki16

as You guys sugested it would be better to pair e30 with something like cambridge 651w (used for 400€) measuring excelent than cxa81 (used for 1000€). i have elac debut 6.2 temporary hooked up to cambridge axa25

chappi

Have just got my E30ii set up and playing DSD files. Setup is Network NAS - Raspberry Pi 4 - Volumio - USB - E30ii in preamp mode - Paradigm Shift A2 active speakers. Also have an optical out from a Sonos Connect into the E30ii as well. There were issues with the DSD files initially which led me to do a factory reset on Volumio which I left at the default DSD settings. I wish I'd paid more attention to what changed but my impression is that changing the audio buffer from max (12MB) to default (2MB) was what fixed the problem. But the volume options in volumio also changed with the mixer type now showing as undefined. Its early days and I'll update if any issues with DSD.

So I'm happy enough - the E30ii fits the budget of our system but I'm confused about the auto on/off. This what I thought I was getting:

"All inputs support. Auto On/Off function: E30II auto On/Off function, it will automatically turn on and set to the input ! which the signal is valid. And when the signal of E30II's selection is not valid for 1 minute, E30II will turn off automatically. "

But there's no way that its turning off or on automatically regardless of what auto setting I choose - does anyone know if there's a setting to make this happen?

hucifer

I also used foobar2000 for 10 years, because it's convenient and you don't need to make special mental efforts to master something new ...
Moreover: on my laptop with office applications and audio and video editing programs, foobar2000 is still also installed.
But when I heard the sound from Linux OS, I had to "crunch my brains" and "strain the gyrus", mastering new knowledge.
And believe me - it was worth it! ;)
Sorry but this is nonsense. I also run both Windows and Linux machines and there is no noticeable difference between ALSA running in exclusive mode and Foobar2000/WASAPI in exclusive mode.

Bit perfect playback is bit perfect playback.

Gratefuldad

The thicker the better (cable).:cool:
Please see here - its mostly the length of cable that matters - that too as @amirm said - he's magnified the difference a lot. On a desktop we are always trying to minimise cables abd thicker cables tend to be stiffer. My 2 Cents.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
thx all for reply and advice for startup procedure, its good one!
You can also add a pair of passive attenuators to put between the DAC and the amplifier, and some of them have an adjustable attenuation. So full output from the DAC will not cause full output from the amplifier.

hutt132

Here are the included filters:
View attachment 220685

Using the default F2, we get this wideband distortion+noise vs frequency:

@amirm notes that filter F2 is default, however the manual that shipped with my E30 II states F-3 is the default filter and it was set to F-3 out of the box...

@JohnYang1997 Are the filters in Amirm's graph labeled incorrectly? This would indicate that the default F-3 (Short Delay Sharp Roll-off ) corresponds do the slow green line in the graph.

signal-2022-12-06-105526.jpeg

shawnbd

Dear Amirm, Would you share the photo of detail your Samsung USB charger, so I can find one.

cola

Maybe interesting for E30II users. I'm using the E30II only in DAC mode and only with my cd player via coax cable. I noticed 1-3 dropouts per cd - that is not fine for me. I asked the service at Topping for new firmware - but there is no newer official version - but the service said sometimes the jitter from source is too high - if so there is no workaround. Because my players are ok i tried another thing. My first smartphone usb power supply was to small for the E30II I connected a chinese goobay power supply with 1.5A - thats works but with this dropouts.
So I replaced on monday this thing with an Apple USB power supply - and since then - no more drop- out on coax. Apple photos attached.
Cord

Attachments

• Apple ps3.jpg
    Apple ps3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 136
  • Apple ps2.jpg
    Apple ps2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Apple ps1.jpg
    Apple ps1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 136
Top Bottom