• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also used foobar2000 for 10 years, because it's convenient and you don't need to make special mental efforts to master something new ...
But when I heard the sound from Linux OS, I had to "crunch my brains" and "strain the gyrus", mastering new knowledge.
And believe me - it was worth it! ;)
lol, we know you're bored and are just joking!

v1adpetrov2

lol, we know you're bored and are just joking!
No jokes!
I'm not going to "convert anyone to a new faith" and start long-term disputes.
I just shared my personal experience and I hope it will be useful to someone. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No jokes!
I'm not going to "convert anyone to a new faith" and start long-term disputes.
I just shared my personal experience and I hope it will be useful to someone. :)
After a couple of Linux OS loads and having a audio epiphany each time and thinking the font was extra clear and such I realized it was all expectation bias.

ceausuc

This Linux OS build uses a minimal number of system processes and services, unlike several hundred processes in Windows.
And most importantly: the ALSA sound system works in exclusive mode with direct access from the software player.
Accordingly, the sound quality is higher, no resampling, the digital stream is output to the DAC as-is.

You've probably heard of Linux-based music operating systems/players like Volumio or Daphile.
Album Player for Linux is from the same OS/Players category.

if you have the time and the curiosity you could also try : http://wtfplay-project.org/

Do I need to upgrade from E30 to E30 II?
If the e30 II works with a wide variety of coax & toslink sources (which the e30 DOESN'T) & this matters to you, I think you do. I am contemplating upgrading for exactly this reason.

dacodac

This very discret dac is a must have!
The remote controle is actually stored in a drawer.
Not useless but once you chose the filters, the dac mode (not pre-dac) and few other functionnalities, it's done :)
I only use direct mode via usb port...and Foobar, connected to my integrated amp.
I also connected a bt receiver on the optical port, so I (or friends coming to visit) may use it and the sound is quiet good, as far as your phone can go^^

vuittion

Can anyone tell me what the default filter is and what is the preferred filter that most people are using.

dacodac

Can anyone tell me what the default filter is and what is the preferred filter that most people are using.
hi, graphics and review are on the first page, the default is 2.
I don't know about others choices, It doesn't drive mine anyway ;) I'm using the 1 at this time, according to my set up, more or less

frki16

Hi,
is E30 II good enough as preamp to connect it directly to poweramp 100W or so?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Of course it is.
No matter the power of the amp in question.
Just take care as E30 does not have a control setting on volume to go down when you open it so some people harmed their systems. I mean this is probe to human error.

Reactions: GPJ

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yes, but only the first time. The last setting is then saved.
Not always.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Does the manufacturer also say "not always"? )
User experience is sometimes better.
And this is not applied only in the particular dac but in every device that uses digital VC.
If that is the only way of controlling levels turning it on before anything else and checking it's output is the only sensible way.

Reactions: GPJ

conuss

There is nothing wrong with making people aware of possible issues. A software control of voltage output has the potential to be faulty. And, it has been well documented these occurences DO happen.

As with everything, do as you wish. No guns to anyone's head on any of this.
"E30 II has built-in volume control function that
can adjust the volume from -99dB to OdB by
using the remote control, so you are able to
directly connect E30 II to power amplifier or
active speakers, and control the volume of
E30 || through remote control.
"

Thank you for your information for which you are not responsible, unlike the manufacturer who SHOULD be responsible for unspoken bugs!
Or where is the manufacturer's caveat regarding the order in which the equipment is turned on?

conuss

Yup the manufacturer is responsible for making their item bullet proof. No arguement there.

Personally, I'm not rolling the dice with items that come out every month. No way.

After 40 years of operating gear, I have a start-up routine I stick to that has worked every single time, no issues.
Once again, if the order of inclusion is not provided, therefore, it is not mandatory.
And how you will be reinsured at the same time is your personal addiction.

Top Bottom