• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Toku

Major Contributor
I previously reported a problem with the E30 ll's PCM 768kHz playback.
The problem is that playing PCM 768 kHz after playing DSD results in loud and noisy playback. If it occurs, it will be reset by playing a song other than PCM768kHz once.
I reported the issue to Topping with video footage and they promised to investigate.
I have uploaded a video recording of the symptoms, so please refer to it if you are interested.

ikd

I read a comment on cheapaudioman's review, can anyone test it?

I have the Topping E30 II and what you describe that its sibilant and harsh its true but after i changed the USB cable to something else it sounds warm, analogish and sounstage gets wider. Whoever has it try it and you will be surprised.

Toku

Major Contributor
I have never felt like that comment about the sound quality of the E30ll. It's just a matter of personal sound quality preference.
I agree with you trying to change the USB cable yourself and see the difference in sound, but don't trust Youtube comments too much.

Veri

Master Contributor

I have the Topping E30 II and what you describe that its sibilant and harsh its true but after i changed the USB cable to something else it sounds warm, analogish and sounstage gets wider. Whoever has it try it and you will be surprised.

Utterly ridiculous, it's a harsh DAC but you get a fancier USB cable and it sounds warm and 'analogish' ? He just told himself it'd sound better, and it did.

I agree with you trying to change the USB cable yourself and see the difference in sound, but don't trust Youtube comments too much.
I don't agree with that at all. A standard ferrited printer cable or a cheap old belkin gold or similar is all anyone would ever need.

Toku

Major Contributor
I don't agree with that at all. A standard ferrited printer cable or a cheap old belkin gold or similar is all anyone would ever need.
I'm just saying from my experience as an engineer that it's important to try things for yourself if you have any doubts.

Tkay

Stupid question : what settings do you guys use in Windows / Foobar / EPO equalizer ? If I use Topping DAC (non exclusive) and I set in Windows the DAC to 32 bit 384hz it will display this value no matter what I play. If I use it with exclusive, I get the correct sample rate, but then I loose the EPO equalizer. Same for ASIO, it displays everything ok but no equalization.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Tkay best to set your DAC to the sample rate of your content in the Sound Control Panel to avoid unnecessary sample rate conversion.
E.g. Spotify is 44.1k, YouTube is 48k.

Tkay

I usually don't listen to any streaming services on my PC, I have all my music stored locally. Unfortunately I have different sample rates there (mostly 44.1khz, but also 96/192 and DSD). I was hoping there was another way to do it, not changing the sample rate in the control panel, but I guess there isn't :) Thank you.

Nevermind me : I have set the DAC to 32bit / 44.1 khz in the control panel and I just played some 96khz / 192 khz content and I see it's adjusting automatically and it works fine.

Veri

Master Contributor
Nevermind me : I have set the DAC to 32bit / 44.1 khz in the control panel and I just played some 96khz / 192 khz content and I see it's adjusting automatically and it works fine.
As long as the controlling application is smart, that should happen yes :) if you just use spotify/youtube then it will use the system/control panel's default.

Tkay

Too many tests.... apparently I was using the DAC exclusive in foobar, that's why it was changing the sample rate. So yes, if you are using it with "Default : Speakers (TOPPING USB DAC) without exclusive, it will output the sample rate from Windows Sound Panel, not the actual sample rate, which kinda sucks.

Oh well, I guess I will have to modify the sample rate manually in Windows each time, based on the content I am playing... if anyone has any other suggestion, I would appreciate it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Oh well, I guess I will have to modify the sample rate manually in Windows each time, based on the content I am playing... if anyone has any other suggestion, I would appreciate it.
You can have both EQ and automatic sample rate switching by using the Mathaudio Headphone EQ plugin for foobar instead of Equalizer Apo.

Veri

Master Contributor
I personally use 24-bit 48kHz global. Works just fine for me, for movies and video content it doesn't resample. And for just light Spotify usage the resampling is really 'ok'. Windows resampling in an up-to-date Windows 10 really isn't as terrible as it used to be.

v1adpetrov2

Hi!
I can advise you a software player that is very different in sound from the foobar2000 that you use...
...But only if you have worked on the Linux operating system. :confused:
It's called The Album Player for Linux.
Just download from the website Image of bootable USB flash drive Yoctoap 64-bit (Linux PC) or 32-bit (Linux PC for old computers).
And use the RUFUS utility to write it to a USB-flash disk.
Run Linux from the USB-disk, configure player for your DAC - and enjoy the sound quality unattainable for the Windows operating system!

If Linux is too complicated for you, then there is a Windows version of the Album Player.
You can try it.
I installed this player on a mini-PC, bought on AliExpress for EUR 150.
And very pleased! ;)
BRZHIFI_3255XLR_+_SMSL_D300_+_miniPC_.jpg GK3V-Intel-Celeron-J4125-N5105-8-DDR4-128-256-Windows__02.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi!
I can advise you a software player that is very different in sound from the foobar2000 that you use...
Just download from the website Image of bootable USB flash drive Yoctoap 64-bit (Linux PC) or 32-bit (Linux PC for old computers).
Run Linux from the USB-disk, configure player for your DAC - and enjoy the sound quality unattainable for the Windows operating system!

If Linux is too complicated for you, then there is a Windows version of the Album Player.
You can try it.
And very pleased! ;)
View attachment 241219 View attachment 241220
Different in sound how? Or even why?

Much confuse.

v1adpetrov2

Different in sound how? Or even why?
Much confuse.
This Linux OS build uses a minimal number of system processes and services, unlike several hundred processes in Windows.
And most importantly: the ALSA sound system works in exclusive mode with direct access from the software player.
Accordingly, the sound quality is higher, no resampling, the digital stream is output to the DAC as-is.

You've probably heard of Linux-based music operating systems/players like Volumio or Daphile.
Album Player for Linux is from the same OS/Players category.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi!

You can try it.
And very pleased! ;)
View attachment 241219 View attachment 241220
Windows doesn't "degrade" the sound, it's absolutely fine (EDIT: thread on it here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nding-the-windows-audio-quality-debate.19438/), so you don't need the magical software player you mentioned combined with Linux, and in addition there's what staticV3 is saying below:
foobar2000 does the same using either Wasapi Exclusive or ASIO output.

v1adpetrov2

foobar2000 does the same using either Wasapi Exclusive or ASIO output.
I also used foobar2000 for 10 years, because it's convenient and you don't need to make special mental efforts to master something new ...
Moreover: on my laptop with office applications and audio and video editing programs, foobar2000 is still also installed.
But when I heard the sound from Linux OS, I had to "crunch my brains" and "strain the gyrus", mastering new knowledge.
And believe me - it was worth it! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom