• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Ashimaru

I have phone charger from Aukey with 3.6V-6.5V = 3A. Would it be okay to use forr E30 II which requires 5V = 1A?

raif71

Major Contributor
Yes. I have a bunch of these and they work totally fine for all sorts of various products which use USB power. I typically try to use the variable voltage ones because that way it has all the power required regardless
I think I have tested a variable usb adapter that have ranges 5 - X volts (forgot it's max). Anyway I have a usb reader adapter which shows the voltage and current that I used to plug between the adapter and E30 and sure enough, voltage is showing 5V going into the E30. Of course I cannot guaratee all such variable power adapters will behave this way. YMMV.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I think I have tested a variable usb adapter that have ranges 5 - X volts (forgot it's max). Anyway I have a usb reader adapter which shows the voltage and current that I used to plug between the adapter and E30 and sure enough, voltage is showing 5V going into the E30. Of course I cannot guaratee all such variable power adapters will behave this way. YMMV.
This is because most USB powered devices choose to use 5V since it is the base USB power standard voltage.

E30 II seems to have a discreet "LNRD" which should act as some sort of ripple cleaner to reduce power supply noise.

What if I already use a galvanically isolated DC-DC/12V->5V buck converter that is really low ripple (~10-20mv) with the old E30, will I even benefit from the E30 II reduced 1.5uv or do I already have about the same?
And does the LNRD get unstable when being fed by a low ripple power source with galvanic isolation?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
E30 II seems to have a discreet "LNRD" which should act as some sort of ripple cleaner to reduce power supply noise.

What if I already use a galvanically isolated DC-DC/12V->5V buck converter that is really low ripple (~10-20mv) with the old E30, will I even benefit from the E30 II reduced 1.5uv or do I already have about the same?
And does the LNRD get unstable when being fed by a low ripple power source with galvanic isolation?
The designer said to use a stock Samsung or Apple or LG power brick like a first-party one because it is made with good standards. If he thought there was a real need for a linear power supply then I'm sure he would have mentioned it because topping themselves have sold one in the past.

The designer said to use a stock Samsung or Apple or LG power brick like a first-party one because it is made with good standards.
Well, I use a Meanwell medical 12V adaptor which is basically the same quality as a Samsung, Apple or LG power brick only @12V instead of 5V. Because none of these devices is galvanically isolated, I need to put a 12->5V converter (this) after it that is isolated and therefore does not have any ground noise from the mains whatsoever +very low ripple.

Basically this should have more or less the same effect as the "LNRD".

Last edited:

Jarrett

Can you demystify what LNRD is? Seems like a Topping term. @amirm :)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you demystify what LNRD is? Seems like a Topping term. @amirm :)
From the HeadFi review:

"You must be unhappy with the noise problem of the 5V power supply! No worries anymore on E30 II. It offers the Discrete LNRD circuit (low noise reference driver). The Discrete LNRD circuit filters out the noise of various 5V power inputs and provides a stable power supply of ultra-low noise reference level. With this technology, the noise floor of E30 II is lower than 1 .5uV."

The link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-releases-topping-e30-ii-l30-ii.964291/

linuxfan

Topping produced the E30 II. I too have an E30 with "Toslink issues ". The new model appears to correct these "issues"
Give a quote from the manufacturer on this, including what exactly THIS is due to.
I would have preferred that the demand for a quote be a request, but here it is -
After some time complaints getting more and more. We purchased one CD player that's having issue with D30pro and tested it. It indeed didn't work. And the jitter of this CD player is high but not 30ns high. So there may be different issues. Nevertheless we tried increasing the PLL circuit's BW. It still didn't work. After some pairing with different devices. We found that any product with ESS's own spdif receiver, XMOS implementation of spdif receiver, Cirrus Logic's reciever don't work. This includes a few of our competitors. And we found LC89091 works with it. So after some extensive testing, it's later on used in D90SE.

E30 changed receiver around the time of production of D30pro. It's used at the time because we have used it before and we thought it's very stable due to no complaint in this issue from our older D30.

To cut a long story short, at an earlier stage Topping DAC's all used the AKM AK4118 s/pdif receiver chip, until these became unavailable, at which point they changed to Cirrus Logic CS8416 chips - and this proved to be problematic.
So now all Topping DAC's use the ONSemi LC89091 s/pdif chip, until the AK4118 becomes available again.

Artzox

So did anyone already get this? Doesn't seem to be in stock at least in Europe.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I would have preferred that the demand for a quote be a request, but here it is -

To cut a long story short, at an earlier stage Topping DAC's all used the AKM AK4118 s/pdif receiver chip, until these became unavailable, at which point they changed to Cirrus Logic CS8416 chips - and this proved to be problematic.
So now all Topping DAC's use the ONSemi LC89091 s/pdif chip, until the AK4118 becomes available again.
The original Spdif performance wasn't anything to write home about so maybe they should avoid the AK chips unless they just need a better implementation.

Veri

Master Contributor
The original Spdif performance wasn't anything to write home about
Compatibility is more important than some better low level jitter noise floor though, IMO. The AKM receivers were well regarded.

From hifigo.com​

"Upgraded Digital Input With Digital Processing:-​

Instead of the CS8416 Digital Input chip as used in the OG E30, the latest E30 II comes with a specially designed Digital Processing circuit for digital coaxial and optical inputs. Topping states, “We have achieved a more stable performance with better compatibility with this specially designed digital processing circuit”. The E30 II achieves a cleaner sound performance with easy compatibility with most devices in the market that will including turntables, blu-ray players, etc."

Does anyone share this optimism ?

MajorP

@JohnYang1997 So I contacted support because my E30 is producing drop-outs when being connected to my PC via toslink.
Topping support said that there is no problem with my unit and the drop-outs are there because my PC is "incompatible".
In my opinion this is far from fair since there has to be a problem with the E30 when my cheap Fiio DAC works without any issues.
The person I talked to seems to not understand that a mediocre product design (the design with the Cirrus Logic receiver is mediocre IMO) can also be an issue.

How should a customer know before buying that his/her device is incompatible when Topping has not released a list of compatible devices?
I bought this DAC because of the good review on ASR. Also the Toslink performance was good in the review before the switch to the way worse Cirrus Logic receiver.

Can you help me directly or forward my support request to a person that is actually willing to help me?
I'd like either a refund or replacement (replace with either old E30 with AKM receiver chip or new E30 II).

Thanks for reading.
Small update:
since support team refused to acknowledge the problem I bought a Schiit Modi 3E (Schiit seems to still have AKM 4113 S/PDIF receiver stock).
The problem is gone now (no drop-outs anymore).
I will sell the Topping E30 on eBay and never buy a Topping product again.

mvnchies

Hi toppings, I have a few questions here -
would this work as a "pre-amp" to a power amp, since it has a volume control? would there be any issues with doing so, using toslink optical from a TV?
and does anyone happen to know which volume control "chip" it uses?

also, I wasn't able to find anything through search other than previous E30... are there any other issues with this one detected yet?

and then finally a bit rude to ask perhaps but - is there any cheaper option than this to consider? optical + remote with digital volume control.

for context - I am thinking of getting a Hypex NC122MP power amplifier if this would work... :) together with Arendal 1961 tower speakers.

trying to find something as simple as possible to use in the living room.

currently using a Loxjie A30 which works well and all, but I've never heard anything different and want to try something a little extra.

thank you!

So did anyone already get this? Doesn't seem to be in stock at least in Europe.
I emailed the UK distributor for Topping. They said that they have ordered stock of the E30 II, but that Topping haven't shipped them yet.

conuss

The manufacturer's quote refers to the D90 SE. Why did you decide that we are talking specifically about Topping E30 II here? ..

Top Bottom