• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Gerardo61

So what does all this mean exactly? How did you conduct this comparison, level matched, no peeking? Did you have the filter off in one or something?
I have owned the do300 since March 2023. I set do300 as follow:
PCM Filter: Linear Fast
DSD cut off: 47 KHz
Volume fixed = 0 dB
My chain is: PC I5 12400/Ubuntu 22.04.3 - HQPlayer Desktop 5.5.1- Audio Swith Ethernet LHY, Streamer SOtM 200 ultra neo with LPS, DAC (usb in/rca out), Ampli Jadis I50 (tubes 50+50w class A), speakers Acoustique Quality Pontos 6 + Sub Woofer Acoustique Quality Pontos W
I don't have sophisticated equipment so my tests are based on listening to songs I know very well
The DO300 sounds very good and is an excellent DAC but for my taste it is too tiring in the mid/high range. Before DO300 I have owned a Wyered4Sound DAC2DSD (ES9018) and it was very sharp to my ears. DO300 is much better but, may be, it also suffers from a bit of exuberance in the medium-high range which becomes tiring after a few hours.
another problem with the ES9039 chip as with all ESSs is that the oversampling done by HQPlayer in DSD passes through the ESS modulators while with the AKMs it is conveyed directly without manipulation.
Furthermore, in my opinion the sound signature of the E30II is very detailed but less tiring in the medium-high range.
Set up E30II:
PCM Filter: #3
DSD cut off 78 KHz (it's better for me IMO)
Volume Fixed = 0dB - the 0 dB volume is a tad lower than DO300
Thats all
Enjoy the music
Gerardo

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Is this stuff Topping is doing with the new I/V stage (seen on newer model slides like the D50 III and E70) and LNRD (errr is this the I/V?) really helping for sound quality? I'm still hanging on to my original E30 from 2020
I'm honestly not sure if there would be any real difference in how these products actually sounded. Like, I would have to have both of them and really do some deep dive to try to find any difference. But I would be incredibly surprised if there was one.

Toku

Major Contributor
Is this stuff Topping is doing with the new I/V stage (seen on newer model slides like the D50 III and E70) and LNRD (errr is this the I/V?) really helping for sound quality? I'm still hanging on to my original E30 from 2020
Topping is steadily working on new technology. I can feel their achievements from my experience with PA5/PA5 ll.
I think the evolution from E30 to E30 ll is great. If you switch two units side by side, you can clearly hear the difference in sound. I think the E30 ll is definitely better, but everyone has different sound preferences, so I can't make a definitive decision.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think we should avoid the issue, but the issue is (and has been) pretty out in the open. It should not be a surprise to anyone.

There are at least two ways to view it: 1) You don't expect much support when you buy something for 'lunch at McDonald's' pricing (to use Amir's words). 2) The alternative is to buy something with local support and first rate reputation, but at a much higher price.

Of course there are other issues that may come to a head soon, that could determine the availability of these (and similarly sourced devices). Who can predict that? If you can get one for one hundred and fifty dollars, even if it only lasts a year or so, what have you lost within the overall scheme of inflationary monetary policy?
No, just no. This is current problem in itself. People being ushered into the idea spending a £150 on a product that only lasts a year is acceptable, it just isent. That is not a product people should accept, it is not a product that provides any benefits to the environment through waste. It is not a product made for the people but for the monetary gain of those whom try and convince people it’s acceptable. An £150 dac is not a cheap addition to an HiFi set up in an everyday common market. It might be lunch money to someone who can spend a child’s schooling fees on such a gadget but to the worlds average working Joe whom also enjoys good music, spending £150 on an ‘HiFi add on’ has a fair expectation of at least 5 years good usage and rightly so, anything less is just not acceptable on any level. I see stuff still being used from the 80s.

Sokel

Master Contributor
another problem with the ES9039 chip as with all ESSs is that the oversampling done by HQPlayer in DSD passes through the ESS modulators while with the AKMs it is conveyed directly without manipulation.
Not exactly:

Top Bottom