• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

nerone

Just try remove it. If the unit just works then it's fine you can replace with anything like 105 106 226 25V caps. If it doesn't work then there's other things that is faulty.
Thanks, once removed I don't have to add anything to try if it works?

ShinMolina

I have compared my DX3 Pro with the E30 and there is no difference in sound signature. Bass, mids an treble are the same. Mine has serial 2104, so it has the Cirrus Logic for SPDIF. Also, I don't hear any differences between inputs.

I am trying to measure the frequency response with RightMark software but the basic version doesn't support ASIO configuration and I can't run my interface through it. I would appreciate if anyone know any software for measuring sweeps and so.

nerone

Everybody loves a busted cap that goes *boom*... :D

Except for the owner.

Accelerated lifecycle testing anyone?

:cool:
By mistake he didn't digest 28V, in fact I was very sorry.
I have now replaced it with the E30 but I would rather make it work

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning
By mistake he didn't digest 28V, in fact I was very sorry.
I have now replaced it with the E30 but I would rather make it work

Brag about your lab equipment and testing procedures. Slap another $ 20 USD on the price. Sell more. Less support

Climate chambers aren’t expensive.
1626509233863.gif

Design yourself or splash out for an Analog Devices/LTC IC.
1626509440776.png

ShinMolina

Just measured a sweep from 15 Hz to 22 kHz using REW for the Topping E30 with the Cirrus Logic chip via SPDIF Toslink. The results are in the attached image, completely ruler flat. Never doubted there were no differences between revisions. In my opinion Topping has done a good job (except for some compatibility cases with old equipment probably).

Attachments

• Topping E30 SPDIF.png
    Topping E30 SPDIF.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have recently interpreted the E30 into my stereo setup to stream from iPhone via a Camera connection dongle. I noticed that the DaC only streams hi res content at 44.1 kHz even if the media is at higher resolution. Is this a limitation of the iPhone and the dongle or is there a way to set the dac to match the resolution of the media?

redshift

Just measured a sweep from 15 Hz to 22 kHz using REW for the Topping E30 with the Cirrus Logig chip via SPDIF Toslink. The results are in the attached image, completely ruler flat. Never doubted there were no differences between revisions. In my opinion Topping has done a good job (except for some compatibility cases with old equipment probably).

Isolated USB in the next revision?

ShinMolina

I have recently interpreted the E30 into my stereo setup to stream from iPhone via a Camera connection dongle. I noticed that the DaC only streams hi res content at 44.1 kHz even if the media is at higher resolution. Is this a limitation of the iPhone and the dongle or is there a way to set the dac to match the resolution of the media?
For what I know, iPhone only outputs 48 or 44.1 kHz via USB, couldn't remember which exactly. John Darko made a video recently about it, this one probably.

redshift

Do you mean to measure the USB frequency response? If so, I didn't measured it because the digital signal path should be the same as the first units, as @amirm has already measured.

If you still curious, I can measure the USB input when I get back on monday.

Well, USB generally suck for all ADC/DAC applications. Traditional DAQ for industry/R&D applications and in hobbyist audio.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the USB connection makes the measurements worse.

Perhaps make a small isolator dongle for people that experience issues? Or design it in in with the next revision?

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADuM4160.pdf

1626550959584.jpeg

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For what I know, iPhone only outputs 48 or 44.1 kHz via USB, couldn't remember which exactly. John Darko made a video recently about it, this one probably.
yea unfortunately my iphone doesn't autoswitch the resolution or bitrate for the hi-res media on the E30 which is connected via USB dongle to the USB input on the E30.

ShinMolina

Isolated USB in the next revision?

I prefer to keep the power and data separate. However, I think no harm should be done by enabling the USB B to be used for both data and power which would be neat for just needing a single cable.

ShinMolina

Well, USB generally suck for all ADC/DAC applications. Traditional DAQ for industry/R&D applications and in hobbyist audio.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the USB connection makes the measurements worse.

Perhaps make a small isolator dongle for people that experience issues? Or design it in in with the next revision?
For what @amirm has reported in a huge amount of measurements USB normally measures better in terms of jitter than SPDIF.

The XMOS family of USB to I2S converters works very well, for example.

ShinMolina

yea unfortunately my iphone doesn't autoswitch the resolution or bitrate for the hi-res media on the E30 which is connected via USB dongle to the USB input on the E30.
No iPhone does it. At least, on Android you have the possibility to use specific apps to output high resolution formats via USB.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I figured out the issue. The DAC was stuck in preamp mode and not dac mode. Now it’s switching according to the media resolution.

ShinMolina

I figured out the issue. The DAC was stuck in preamp mode and not dac mode. Now it’s switching according to the media resolution.
My bad, I was wrong. After seeing the Darko video again I see that you can stream high resolution music via the lightning port if the DAC supports it.

However, it shouldn't matter if the E30 is set to preamp or DAC mode. At least it has work for me in both modes with higher sample rates.

redshift

I prefer to keep the power and data separate. However, I think no harm should be done by enabling the USB B to be used for both data and power which would be neat for just needing a single cable.

Most computers have USB C today, then you got 12V to play with.

Here’s an idea for an ultra low noise winner DAC.

Include two relay operated LiPo batteries inside the DAC/preamp.

The first (charged) battery powers the device.

The second battery is being charged by USB.

When the first battery depletes, use SS relays/FET’s to switch over to the freshly charged one.

I’d bet it’s pretty hard to beat a battery operated DAC, what do you think?

ShinMolina

Most computers have USB C today, then you got 12V to play with.

Here’s an idea for an ultra low noise winner DAC.

Include two relay operated LiPo batteries inside the DAC/preamp.

The first (charged) battery powers the device.

The second battery is being charged by USB.

When the first battery depletes, use SS relays/FET’s to switch over to the freshly charged one.

I’d bet it’s pretty hard to beat a battery operated DAC, what do you think?
First of all, I think it's a "good" idea. However, I also think it's overkill.

I own many DACs and all of them perform amazingly. No need for batteries for extra performance. The difference the use of a battery makes on a DAC with a well designed power stage is negligible.

One of the DACs I own is the E1DA 9038SG3 which performs great. I usually drive it via my Android phone and it performs as well as my desktop DACs driven by USB power from my PC.

It is way cheaper and simple to implement a good filtered power stage than adding batteries. My taste usually guides me to properly built devices, not over designed ones.

redshift

First of all, I think it's a "good" idea. However, I also think it's overkill.

I own many DACs and all of them perform amazingly. No need for batteries for extra performance. The difference the use of a battery makes on a DAC with a well designed power stage is negligible.

One of the DACs I own is the E1DA 9038SG3 which performs great. I usually drive it via my Android phone and it performs as well as my desktop DACs driven by USB power from my PC.

It is way cheaper and simple to implement a good filtered power stage than adding batteries. My taste usually guides me to properly built devices, not over designed ones.

Try powering one of your dev boards with a 12V battery (not a bench PSU) and signal through SPDIF and take measurements.

I’m curious to know if it makes any difference.

It would also be a basis for a “portable” device.

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT!

ShinMolina

Try powering one of your dev boards with a 12V battery (not a bench PSU) and signal through SPDIF and take measurements.

I’m curious to know if it makes any difference.

It would also be a basis for a “portable” device.

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT!

Hahahahahaha! Now that you've said it I'm curious.

Since I bought an ES9038Q2M out of curiosity and its coaxial input doesn't work, I will test it with different power sources. It accepts multiple voltages so it should offer various test cases.

I already measured it with a cheap 9V power supply. I own the cheapest of the cheap 12V power supply intented for LED lighting use, could give it a use too.

Top Bottom