• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speculation, but I suppose this DAC is about to be refreshed to an SE model using either an ESS or an Cirrus Logic DAC chip since it sells well and AKM chips are gone? Will be interesting to see which one they choose and how it measures comparatively.

pawala

Hi, I'm obviously a newbie here, but I just recently got my E30 to replace the Standard Design Grace SDAC that was paired with my L30 which mostly drives my HD6XX. I'm running the IF AutoEQ profile for the HD6XX (-6.4dB), so I need to run the L30 at +9dB at 12:00 gain to get to my desired volume levels (big but not loud) with all software volumes at 100%. I'm using the E30 in DAC mode, FIR filter 4, 32-bit 88.2k PCM input, RCA to L30.

Anyway, I've been switching between the two DACs for the past few days even asking the wife to switch them for me to avoid bias, but I've been pretty consistently leaning towards the SDAC sound, which was surprising. For some reason, I'm finding the rendition from the E30 to have much flatter bass response and almost completely dead lower bass. By comparison, the SDAC sounds much more dynamic and airy which is what I would expect from the music I listen to (orchestral). Both E30 and SDAC outputs use the same EQ settings in EAPO. And, since both DACs have about the same output voltage I don't even touch the volume knob. However, the sound from my E30 just seems to lack life. This was completely unexpected since I thought the E30 would handily beat the SDAC. Is this a common problem with the model, or is this a defective unit?

Quick note, I got the E30 as an open-box returned unit from a reputable seller (Aoshida HiFi-JP), but they had some concerns since the previous owner did not state a reason for the return. I don't think it's defective since background is completely black to my ears and nothing is visibly wrong with the unit, but I'm wondering if there's some standard way for a newbie to objectively test for other issues? I don't want to simply return the unit without proof of a problem since I quite like the look of the stack, and returning items for no reason is considered impolite here in Japan.

Also, since this is my first experience with this DAC, I'm wondering if anyone with some experience with this sort of setup can chime in if I'm doing something wrong? Thanks.

Moosi

Is your E30 Serial >2103XXX ? I have read some comment from someone claiming the new E30 with Cirrus Logic chips sounds more boring and flat compared to the old E30 with the AKM receiver. He even claimed it to sound inferior to the old E30 when plugged by the USB. Since I only have the "old E30" I cannot make a comparison. To me it sounds perfect. There is no thin bass or missing low frequency. I recently switched from AS300 amp to Sabaj a20a and my basslines sound fuller and deeper than ever before. I barely make usage of my subwoofer now, since the 130mm membranes of my KEF Q150 go really punchy with the new Amp.
No truth. -115db the absolute threshold of human hearing. The spikes are below that. Perceptible distortion is far above that. Distortion is very difficult to discern when buried in complex sources like music. No one on this planet is hearing those spikes
What about animals? Cats and dogs may hear it. Bats most likely too. Do you want to risk scaring off bats with your E30? This is a question that needs to be answered.

Last edited:

Jman841

Has anyone else updated to the latest firmware on the E30 and noticed increased detail and overall improvement in sound?

I did the update this morning, not expecting much (I had not updated it since purchasing in December of 2020) but instantly noticed more detail using my Sundara. Am I going crazy? Was there any changes that would effect sound with the new firmware?

Moosi

Has anyone else updated to the latest firmware on the E30 and noticed increased detail and overall improvement in sound?

Update drivers or firmware? Last firmware is 1.08. Last drivers are 5.12, I installed 5.00 so I will check If there is any difference.

Jman841

Update drivers or firmware? Last firmware is 1.08. Last drivers are 5.12, I installed 5.00 so I will check If there is any difference.

Ah, my mistake, the drivers.

I might just be crazy, but I swear it sounds better lol

pawala

Is your E30 Serial >2103XXX ? I have read some comment from someone claiming the new E30 with Cirrus Logic chips sounds more boring and flat compared to the old E30 with the AKM receiver...

Yes, my E30 is SN:2103.... so it seems whoever made that comment was right. It's a night and day difference even compared to just my budget SDAC. Bass instruments simply lose their room filling sound and other instruments sound flat when driving relatively neutral HPs like the HD6XX.

Since it's not a defect, I guess I'll be keeping the E30, but it's extremely disappointing. It's just really sad how bad the new chip sounds with this implementation.

Might test them out with my stereo system at some point with the bass slightly boosted. It's impossible right now with just the L30 since it takes over 10dB of low freq EQ boost to get the bass to even reasonable levels, and at that point the amp can't drive the rest of the frequencies properly. I absolutely hate clipping, so I won't risk ruining the sound by pushing it further.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes, my E30 is SN:2103.... so it seems whoever made that comment was right. It's a night and day difference even compared to just my budget SDAC. Bass instruments simply lose their room filling sound and other instruments sound flat when driving relatively neutral HPs like the HD6XX.

Since it's not a defect, I guess I'll be keeping the E30, but it's extremely disappointing. It's just really sad how bad the new chip sounds with this implementation.

Might test them out with my stereo system at some point with the bass slightly boosted. It's impossible right now with just the L30 since it takes over 10dB of low freq EQ boost to get the bass to even reasonable levels, and at that point the amp can't drive the rest of the frequencies properly. I absolutely hate clipping, so I won't risk ruining the sound by pushing it further.
Are you using USB input or spdif?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
USB input would go through the AK4493 while SPDIF (coax and optical) go through the CS8416.. right?
AK4493 is the DAC chip that does the conversion regardless of inputs.
The spdif receivers takes spdif input and concerts to IIS signal. AK4118 was doing this and since 2103 it's CS8416.
In all the possibilities there's no way it will sound any different unless it's not playing properly.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm using USB input and I installed the latest drivers from tpdz.net before connecting it some days ago.
So there's no difference at all between devices prior to 2103 and after in your use case.

pawala

So there's no difference at all between devices prior to 2103 and after in your use case.

Then, there might something actually wrong with my unit? How would one test for crushed bass frequencies apart from manual A/B testing? If the necessary tools are affordable enough, I might be willing to buy some for testing purposes.

The main advice I've got from the store rep is to just use it for a while for it to "break in". I don't really believe in the idea of "break/burn in", apart from just the effect of getting used to a sound profile. Plus, I've had it connected and running for more than 24 hours (over 4 days) with no noticeable change. I've gone back to the SDAC for the last couple of days.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Then, there might something actually wrong with my unit? How would one test for crushed bass frequencies apart from manual A/B testing? If the necessary tools are affordable enough, I might be willing to buy some for testing purposes.

The main advice I've got from the store rep is to just use it for a while for it to "break in". I don't really believe in the idea of "break/burn in", apart from just the effect of getting used to a sound profile. Plus, I've had it connected and running for more than 24 hours (over 4 days) with no noticeable change. I've gone back to the SDAC for the last couple of days.
I would rather think SDAC is having issue rather than E30. Although both unlikely.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using a Samsung phone charger and it works flawlessly.

pawala

I would rather think SDAC is having issue rather than E30. Although both unlikely.

If the SDAC is having an issue, they should do this for all their units. Black background, bass extension and an expansive soundstage, more of this please. Of course, the clean background might just be because our office has excessive EM shielding since we work on high-sensitivity electrical biosensors. Though I haven't really noticed much difference from when I bring the L30/SDAC stack back home for the weekends either.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If the SDAC is having an issue, they should do this for all their units. Black background, bass extension and an expansive soundstage, more of this please. Of course, the clean background might just be because our office has excessive EM shielding since we work on high-sensitivity electrical biosensors. Though I haven't really noticed much difference from when I bring the L30/SDAC stack back home for the weekends either.
Get a replacement. If the new unit is not doing any better it's the other that is having problems.

nerone

Attachments

• 20201107_194813.jpg
    20201107_194813.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 176

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Top Bottom