• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

gn77b

for the claimed differences, one should not need at AP.

Sure, it would be great to have some additional modes tested, but Amir only has so much time at spend and a gigantic backlog of stuff to review. The point is: anecdotal evidence is just no good. Anyone can claim anything… and just like that a myth is born.
But unfortunately that's the mode that interests me primarily. That's basically the reason I'm considering this DAC and not another one.

For me 3 users reporting similar issues is reason enough for concern. My mind would be at ease if the preamp mode was measured. It's very, very strange to read on an objective forum that an use case that hasn't been tested should be fine. That's the absolute opposite of science.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
No difference if you don't have preamp after the dac. If you have a preamp after that it's depending on the performance of the preamp.
With L30 as preamp you can still achieve 98dB SNR. If you use E30 only, you get 78dB.
But what matters is the residual noise being amplified and comes out at speaker.
Thanks!
You mentioned residual noise. When should I worry about it?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But unfortunately that's the mode that interests me primarily. That's basically the reason I'm considering this DAC and not another one.

For me 3 users reporting similar issues is reason enough for concern. My mind would be at ease if the preamp mode was measured. It's very, very strange to read on an objective forum that an use case that hasn't been tested should be fine. That's the absolute opposite of science.

I’m pretty sure @JohnYang1997 can give you some measurements.. if you trust him ;). I’ve never headed any issues in either mode.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks!
If you don’t hear any noise.. never.. the volume control does not change the noise floor, it just brings the signal closer to it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

As JohnYang was saying the only difference when the E30 is used in preamp mode is a reduction in SNR the greater the negative preamp you run. So, SNR of E30 at 0dBFS (full output) is 112dB, if you run the E30 in preamp mode at -10dB then you lose 10dB of SINAD so it would be 102dB SINAD. JohnYang also insinuated that what really matters is what happens in the rest of your audio chain....ie what is the SINAD of the amplifiers in your active speakers or the SINAD of your amplifier, and also the SINAD of your actual speakers (not sure if you can have SINAD of speakers but think you can).......one of the rules is that if your DAC had 10dB or greater SINAD than your other components downstream in your audio chain then you are not losing any overall SINAD in your audio chain.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks!
When you can hear it?
Speaker amps can have higher input referred noise. So it only matters when the speaker amp is inherently lower noise.
The speaker amp can also have higher gain and when speakers have high sensitivity you may hear the noise.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
When you can hear it?
Speaker amps can have higher input referred noise. So it only matters when the speaker amp is inherently lower noise.
The speaker amp can also have higher gain and when speakers have high sensitivity you may hear the noise.
I see. Can you describe the "noise"? Is it a louder "hiss"? Or something else? Thanks!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

3 out of how many?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some of the requested tests. I tested with a Samsung phone charger and it was basically the same as USB although the nature of the spikes changed much. So I then powered it with a BOTW linear power supply and Toslink input. Results are basically the same as USB:

View attachment 54997

I also tested with coax and it was the same. Here is coax input and linear power supply on jitter test however:

View attachment 54998

We have a clear jitter pattern. But levels are at -120 dB down to less than -140 dB so not an issue whatsoever. USB is superior since the DAC has its own clock rather than chasing the input.
Were your tests done in pre or DAC mode Amir?

carlos1172

Hello all, is there any consensus whether this is worth a buy for $130 if I won't be using an external power source (only Desktop's or Laptop's usb port to power it)? The value drops if I'll have to buy an iFi iPower or something to provide it with "clean" power.

Will any distortion of noise be audible, at least for my setup?
Apple USB-C Dongle (to be replaced by this) --> Topping L30 --> Sennheiser HD 660S.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah hiss.

Just for clarification this picture might help:
1623739505738.png

So what the digital pre-amp does is just bring the signal closer to the noise floor. Therefore the noise floor basically never changes perceptually. So if you don't hear any hiss (not recording related) though your speakers, a digital volume control will mosty likeley never be an issue. Now an analogue pre-amp, scales both signal and noise, however the pre-amp also has it's own noise floor. So once the DAC signal noise is lower than the pre noise, the pre's noise dominates.

Cyfrox

Hi, can you please show me how does your setup work and what adapter are you using with the iPhone? Is it a lighting to USB adapter plugged directly into the DAC?

I am using a FiiO L19 Lightning to Micro USB cable from my old FiiO Q1 DAC. It's a hassle converting it to USB B for the E30.
I will suggest to get a Lightning Camera Adaptor.
apple-lightning-to-usb3-camera-adapter.jpgapple-lightning-to-usb3-camera-adapter1.jpg

Cyfrox

Dear all, need your advice. I am thinking of getting this portable CD player with SPDIF as CD Transport to the E30.
Since I am not utilising the internal DAC of the CD player and only send digital signal to the E30, will this be acceptable or I really need a 'proper' CD player? Will a proper CD player really make a very big difference? Thanks.
Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 11.26.15 AM.pngScreenshot 2021-06-17 at 11.26.41 AM.png
It's powered using USB-C and have USB and SPDIF out. costs around USD50-60.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Dear all, need your advice. I am thinking of getting this portable CD player with SPDIF as CD Transport to the E30.
Since I am not utilising the internal DAC of the CD player and only send digital signal to the E30, will this be acceptable or I really need a 'proper' CD player? Will a proper CD player really make a very big difference? Thanks.
View attachment 136067View attachment 136068
Probably will work fine. I've got a Sony Blu-Ray from a thrift store for $7 [spent about $10 to get a remote via Amazon]. Works great with the E30/L30 combo.

SgtPepper

View attachment 136067View attachment 136068

may or may not work fine depending on how new your e30 is. Read from post #4545 onwards.

Cyfrox

may or may not work fine depending on how new your e30 is. Read from post #4545 onwards.

Thanks. yes I was following this thread and was aware of the CS chip problem. Both Coax and Toslink SPDIF are controlled by the same chip thus I assume both connection will have issue correct?

Top Bottom