• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Aldoszx

What driver version do you have?
I strongly recommend to reinstall Windows !
I bet you'll be surprised by the results !
Just give it a try.
And try not to play much with drivers and settings anymore.
It is very easy to mess all the things up under Windows.

Ozu

If you don't plan on using the E30 as a pre-amp or use the volume control (remote), set the E30 in the DAC mode, just enter standby, press and hold the On/Off button on the touch panel for about 3 seconds until you see “DAC” written on screen, release the button and power it on.

Thanks a lot, you were right, it works!

Poyo

What driver version do you have?
I strongly recommend to reinstall Windows !
I bet you'll be surprised by the results !
Just give it a try.
And try not to play much with drivers and settings anymore.
It is very easy to mess all the things up under Windows.

I have 5.0 drivers, the latest. Maybe I have to reinstall but it's long :'( Yeah Windows over years crap itself a lot, it's so bad but playing video games, don't have choice.

Yes a good idea too. What would be your source?

My PC have a optical output, but only 24 bits 96 kHz, tomorrow my friend will loan me a optical cable.

Aldoszx

I don't think is so long.
Usually, around 30-40 minutes, with all settings and software installed.
From my experience, the only solution to solve Windows issues is a clean install.
You will spend a lot more time trying to solve the problems than a clean reinstall !
Don't waste your time !
Take a 8GB USB, Media Creation Tool, Patch My PC for rapid install of a large list of usual software and tell us that everything is OK after that !
I own you a beer if not ;).

And as a tip, a best practice is to have at least 2 partitions: one only for Windows and another one (or more) for installed apps and games.
Also, always backup important things !

Last edited:

Poyo

Guys, I tried something, I changed the positioning of my RCA pushing them a little bit far away from each other, switched the L and R and the problem didn't happened for few hours, maybe I'm just lucky for now...

Maybe stacking with RCA cable can do some "interference" ?
My cable plugs look like this and they were very closed to each other.

1574083835_966465.jpg

Pawlakbest

Are there any problems with E30 2008 ? As I'm about to contact my seller about replacing my L30 2006 which has 'exploding headphones' problem and I don't know if I should also ask about replacing E30 aswell. I don't have any problems with E30 or L30 but as many mentioned, problem with L30 hasn't happened for me 'YET', so if there is any future problem with E30 I would also like to change that. Thanks for response.

Yoyop

Are there any problems with E30 2008 ? As I'm about to contact my seller about replacing my L30 2006 which has 'exploding headphones' problem and I don't know if I should also ask about replacing E30 aswell. I don't have any problems with E30 or L30 but as many mentioned, problem with L30 hasn't happened for me 'YET', so if there is any future problem with E30 I would also like to change that. Thanks for response.

Hello, there is no problem with E30 post 2004+, anyway if you use USB only the polarity was fixed for earlier version with the new firmware.
Btw you have a 2008, so no problem at all :) Keep it

Pawlakbest

Hello, there is no problem with E30 post 2004+, anyway if you use USB only the polarity was fixed for earlier version with the new firmware.
Btw you have a 2008, so no problem at all :) Keep it
I probably read that wrong but someone said that 'new' 2009+ versions are totally fixed so i was worried that 2008 may still have some problems.

fredristair

Question about DAC mode for topping E30

First of all, this forum has been incredible and very insightful! I'm grateful for all the reviews I've read and posts. I'm a long time peruser.

Re the Topping E30: My macbook on big sur Midiaudio settings for the E30 allows me to dial down the volume on the E30 - does this decimate the signal and reduce the Bits or is the e30 setup to keep the signal the same (it has a preamp mode)? I have an amp that gives me limited travel on the knob and if it doesn't decimate the sound - might be easier to just turn it down on my mac vs getting a passive preamp. Thanks!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

That's like asking: Hey, my car has a broken wheel, should I also replace my steering wheel now..?

Poyo

Hello guys,

just to keep you update for my issue with Topping E30.
For reminder :
- Loose left channel during listening/gaming
- Left channel very low volume and sound was like "compressed" and very awful

Test to find out a solution :
- Swapping L+R RCA cable to see if the problem was the cable : No results, problem remains
- Test another USB cable and RCA cable : No results, problem remains
- Test optical input : No results, problem remains
- Test to "unstack" them, putting L30 and E30 horizontally : No problem atm (48h = without any issue and sound is awesome)

I figured out that the L30 was pretty hot and where I live, it's summer, 32~35°C during 6 months a year, and the "winter" is 24~28°C :p
Do you think the problem was due to the temperature ? Does the E30 sensitive to hot condition ?

Now, the L30 still remains hot but the E30 is cold/warm.

Edit : Problem has arrived today :( I'm out of solution

Last edited:

shamus

Hi guys,

I received my L30 and E30 stack today and I ran into the following issues:

1) Whenever I change songs on Tidal, the window slider volume will change with the songs and it varies from songs to songs
2) I will get this error on Youtube "Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer" whenever I paused Tidal and play any video on Youtube.
  • If I manage to get the youtube video to play, there would be no audio. I would have to manually change the playback device to the from "REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT" to "TOPPING USB DAC" before I can get any audio.
When I try to change the volume manually from the volume slider, it will jump back to the "default" volume the song is being played at.
The E30 is connected via USB to my PC. (Windows 10)
The E30 is in DAC mode
I have enabled exclusive mode on Tidal
I have installed the latest E30 driver

Could it be the sample/bit rate difference of Youtube and Tidal?

Any inputs/solutions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time using an AMP/DAC setup.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi guys,

1) Whenever I change songs on Tidal, the window slider volume will change with the songs and it varies from songs to songs
2) I will get this error on Youtube "Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer" whenever I paused Tidal and play any video on Youtube.
  • If I manage to get the youtube video to play, there would be no audio. I would have to manually change the playback device to the from "REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT" to "TOPPING USB DAC" before I can get any audio.
When I try to change the volume manually from the volume slider, it will jump back to the "default" volume the song is being played at.
The E30 is in DAC mode

Any inputs/solutions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time using an AMP/DAC setup.

Thank you!
I have encountered similar issue with Tidal app on Windows 10. I believe the issue is specific to Tidal app on Windows with E30. Each time a new song is played, E30 master volume in Windows 10 Sound setting would auto adjust to a number from whatever I manually set previously. Edit: the change of volume seems to correspondence to songs' resolution.

I don't have such issue with Gustard x16. So strange that it only happens to E30.

I don't have a solution for that. Workaround is set the L30 volume louder or softer based on the songs.

Regarding YouTube issue, as long as in Wondows sound setting E30 is selected, I could play YouTube via Firefox no problem, after paused Tidal.

Last edited:

shamus

I have encountered similar issue with Tidal app on Windows 10. I believe the issue is specific to Tidal app on Windows with E30. Each time a new song is played, E30 master volume in Windows 10 Sound setting would auto adjust to a number from whatever I manually set previously. Edit: the change of volume seems to correspondence to songs' resolution.

I don't have such issue with Gustard x16. So strange that it only happens to E30.

I don't have a solution for that. Workaround is set the L30 volume louder or softer based on the songs.

Regarding YouTube issue, as long as in Wondows sound setting E30 is selected, I could play YouTube via Firefox no problem, after paused Tidal.

Thank you for your reply. I suspected it seems to be a problem with Tidal and the bitrate.

While playing a song is playing on Tidal, I started a Youtube video and I would get "Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer",
however when I tested with Spotify, the youtube video is able to be played..

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Thank you for your reply. I suspected it seems to be a problem with Tidal and the bitrate.

While playing a song is playing on Tidal, I started a Youtube video and I would get "Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer",
however when I tested with Spotify, the youtube video is able to be played..
For me, I don't have such error message. YouTube would play, but no sound. Once I paused Tidal and select a new song in YouTube, I would get sound with YouTube video.

companyja

Hi guys,

The E30 is in DAC mode

Thank you!

It's most definitely the sample rate difference. Exclusive mode on Tidal will lock you into 44.1 (presumably), Youtube content is in 48khz. This has nothing to do with the E30, that's just how exclusive audio works. The fix is to stop using exclusive audio or stop watching youtube while Tidal is on, there is no magical solution that allows you to use a DAC the way you intended.

If the audio level changes between a player in exclusive mode and youtube videos, it means you have your volume in windows set to lower than 100% via either the taskbar or a preamp such as EQ APO, and ASIO/WASAPI doesn't react to windows volume control. Again, no magic fix for this, I suggest not using exclusive mode and applying a small negative preamp in EQ APO to avoid Windows' limiter.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quick questions guys :
  • What is the latest firmware (firmware, not driver) version for E30 ? On Topping site I only see 1.08 for SN up to 2003.
  • How can I check my firmware version via Windows ?
Thanks.

Top Bottom