• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all,
Signal path B: USB port --> Topping E30 --> A/V switch --> Gemtune GS01 tube amp --> Klipsch R-41M

Replace a tube amp with solid state (transistor or op-amp).
Try FF1 or FF4 filters.
I cannot say if Klipsch speakers good or bad.
Maybe instead of replacng amp/speakers - get powered speakers, like Adams, which received glowing review here on ASR.

bernabaus

If i use an E30 connected via Optical toslink, can i equalize the sound with Equalizer APO just as i do with the Ifi ZEN Dac via USB?

max1236

Can anyone send me a link to a usb cable that will work with this unit? something cheap on amazon maybe. Also a remote as well but thats not as important to me. Also will this dac be a good match for the a50s?

Geo70

Guys I ask you for a little OT help. can I connect this
in my chain between Ampli-icepower-final-, Tube-pre-amp, Dac -Toppinge30-dac-pure?

Zek

Major Contributor
Yes, you can - no need a two pre-amps because Tube 03 is pre-amp.

Geo70

Thanks to you I don't want to use two amps. Should I use the DAC in pure DAC mode pls? :)

Zek

Major Contributor
Your audio chain would be something like this:
source (PC, TV, CD player) > DAC (in Dac mode) > Tube 03 > power amp > speakers

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Can anyone send me a link to a usb cable that will work with this unit? something cheap on amazon maybe. Also a remote as well but thats not as important to me.

Both are in the package :)
2660676.jpg

Geo70

Your audio chain would be something like this:
source (PC, TV, CD player) > DAC (in Dac mode) > Tube 03 > power amp > speakers

Thanks dear, I am hard to understand. The DAc is the same source as TV, CD etc right. Yes I understood so ^^ PC-usb-DAC-out-PRE-in-Pre-out-Ampli. You have been very kind, have a nice day :)

Zek

Major Contributor
Yes, audio sources are PC, TV, phone, CD player etc. From PC > usb cable > DAC. From TV > optical cable > DAC. From CD player > coaxial cable > DAC. From DAC > 2 cinch cable > Tube 03 in. From Tube 03 out > power amp in.

Swoof

I bought my e30 back in April of last year and I've been using it with my PC and headphones, never had issues with popping, and was not aware of polarity issues then.

Now I just moved it to living room with e30 right into nc252mp to dbr62s, using e30 as a pre-amp. The pop when turning the unit on/off is fairly loud, is this something that was fixed with updates? My firmware is up to date. If not fixed, should I worry about it causing damage?

Additionally, now I'm using optical and coax inputs as well, should I be worried about the polarity issues?

Last, using in pre from -50 to -15, typically -30. Is that too much digital attenuation?

I know this stuff may have been answered I just don't have time to dig through 200 pages!

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Countach

I updated the drivers to 5.0.0 and got weird, choppy sound on most tracks. Perhaps Windows 7 + Peace EQ is an issue here. Had to switch back to 4.86.0 unfortunately.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I updated the drivers to 5.0.0 and got weird, choppy sound on most tracks. Perhaps Windows 7 + Peace EQ is an issue here. Had to switch back to 4.86.0 unfortunately.

I bought a one week old E30 on Head-Fi last week. Connected it to my Win10 v2004 machine and Win10 pretty much immediately "thought" it had recognized the unit and it was ready to go. However, the output was choppy from all apps, and none of the various output options in Foobar worked properly. Installing 5.0.0 fixed everything. Seems likely that your configuration might be the issue. I looked through the readme and installation guide, and nothing says 5.0.0 requires Win8 or greater, but then again, the guide shows v4.67.0 with screenshots that look like Win7.

companyja

Hey guys I'm sorry if this has been asked to death but I somehow haven't been able to find a concrete enough answer - has Topping said that the polarity "issue" has been fixed for COAX and TOSLINK as well, not only through firmware for the USB port? I'm not too paranoid about it but just for fun I checked out that absolute polarity test here and I've been surprised that I could rather easily tell between them (just a sample attempt) - sometimes I'd get 10/10, sometimes I'd miss one (recorded my screen for an attempt because naturally friends didn't believe me as I wouldn't either before doing the test). But the little thump between the strumming really makes it easy for me to tell - if it's accentuated, I know it's the inverted sample. I'm using a K712 through a K5 Pro currently, by the way.

Does this test relate to the exact issue of the E30 reversed polarity outputs, and have they addressed anything other than the USB port? Thanks mates, sorry if my searching on the thread is just crap, I've seen people say it both ways but haven't shown any statement from Topping confirming or denying that the fix addresses COAX/TOSLINK.

Last edited:

Thalis

Hey guys I'm sorry if this has been asked to death but I somehow haven't been able to find a concrete enough answer - has Topping said that the polarity "issue" has been fixed for COAX and TOSLINK as well, not only through firmware for the USB port? I'm not too paranoid about it but just for fun I checked out that absolute polarity test here and I've been surprised that I could rather easily tell between them (just a sample attempt) - sometimes I'd get 10/10, sometimes I'd miss one. But the little thump between the strumming really makes it easy for me to tell - if it's accentuated, I know it's the inverted sample. I'm using a K712 through a K5 Pro currently, by the way.

Does this test relate to the exact issue of the E30 reversed polarity outputs, and have they addressed anything other than the USB port? Thanks mates, sorry if my searching on the thread is just crap, I've seen people say it both ways but haven't shown any statement from Topping confirming or denying that the fix addresses COAX/TOSLINK.

Already sorted for all 3 inputs... rest assured.

Top Bottom