• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
SN 2004 and later all have the latest (version 1.08) firmware.

Firmware updaters for Linux and MacOS were posted earlier in this thread. They won't be useful to you at the moment, but if Topping ever comes out with future firmware updates ...

Thanks samsa! Best I hold out for future firmware for Mac is in that case. Don't wanna break it! I'll experiment further to see if I can boost the volume without increasing the volume on the JBL.

Just noticed that when I'm not using exclusive mode on Tidal I can increase the volume via Mac OS even when in DAC mode (same for pre amp mode). Is this normal? Even when I use Audio Midi on Mac OS to force higher sampling I'm still able to do this.

jevenator

Hi all I've recently purchased the E30 based on amirm's great review. Received yesterday. Connected to my iMac via USB (apple 5v plus as power source). Hooked up to my JBL 305p via RCA to 1/4" TRS. Playing Spotify and Tidal desktop apps. Initially volume levels were quite low vs. direct from the headphone jack of my iMac. But I increased the volume knob on my JBLs from 7 to max 10. The usual JBL hiss increased but at least I get more volume headroom now. Should I adjust the input sensitivity on my JBL from -10 to +4db? I understand the default is for -10 for consumer decices. Worried I'd blow the drivers if I switch it to +4db for the E30.

Also I've read about the pooping noises - I get it when it's switching from 44.1Hz to higher quality on MQA tracks on Tidal. It's a bit noticable to the point of being irritating now that I've increased the volume to max on the JBL. The new firmware update solves this? My serial number shows 2006 shouldn't this ship with the latest firmware? If not I need to find a windows box to update the firmware.

What is this JBL hiss? I usually run my 305p mk2 on max with my E30 and go anywhere between -30.00 - (-1.0) depending on song/movie.

What is this JBL hiss? I usually run my 305p mk2 on max with my E30 and go anywhere between -30.00 - (-1.0) depending on song/movie.

It's the hiss you can hear from tweeters. Sounds a bit like white noise. I see it being widely documented online. It tends to increase with dirty power sources as I understand. I'm using a Belkin surge protector which helps. From my headphone out on the iMac I actually get less of this hiss. But with the E30 I tend to get a bit more hiss via USB and powered via the apple 5v adapter connected to same Belkin surge protector.

I've got a Apple XS Max iPhone and a iPad that's about 4 years old and have driven an E30 with both.

I just tested my iPhone XS Max and a 3.5 year old iPad using the Original USB Camera to lightning adapter and the USB 3 version of the adapter: the USB 3 version worked on both and the original Apple USB Camera adapter did not.

This was just a quick test. Maybe the original Apple camera adapter can work with the E30, but it didn't off the bat in my try. But, the USB 3 version worked with no quirks on both the iPhone and iPad.

The original adapter had given me functional issues when using with a Chord Mojo, though it could work. the USB 3 version was more broadly reliable in my use.

I don't know if the original USB-Camera adapter is the issue for you, but if you can trial a USB 3 version, that looks like it works without issue. And as bonus you can also power the iPhone when playing with the USB-3 adapter,

Looks like I may have a dud dac. I’ve tried both the original and the new USB 3 camera adaptor with the iPhone, pc laptop directly connected, USB c - USB otg with android and multiple USB a to USB cables from these to the e30 and I get the USB err error on all. Prob spent more on adaptors than the actual dac. Dud dac or am I missing something basic?

Last edited:

PenguinMusic

Just set volume to maximum. There's simply no difference between dac mode and pre mode with max volume.

Hi,

Thanks for that info...
So what would you suggest :
- having volume cranked up to "max" on computer and reduce on the E30 if needed ;
- having volume cranked up to "max" on E30 and reduce volume on computer if needed ?

Probably barely audible difference, but just for the sake of theory :)

Thanks for your answer... and awaiting for the pairing headphone amp to be available directly in Europe/France :)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi,

Thanks for that info...
So what would you suggest :
- having volume cranked up to "max" on computer and reduce on the E30 if needed ;
- having volume cranked up to "max" on E30 and reduce volume on computer if needed ?

Probably barely audible difference, but just for the sake of theory :)

Thanks for your answer... and awaiting for the pairing headphone amp to be available directly in Europe/France :)
First method is technically better.

MadMan

This question has been posted multiple times but I did not see an answer:

What is the output impedance of the E30 ? (especially in 'pre-amp mode' if that's different) @JohnYang1997

I had to do a ctrl+F search going through each page of the thread to make sure this wasn't answered :) @amirm Does this forum software have a 'search this thread only' function ?

This question has been posted multiple times but I did not see an answer:

What is the output impedance of the E30 ? (especially in 'pre-amp mode' if that's different) @JohnYang1997

I had to do a ctrl+F search going through each page of the thread to make sure this wasn't answered :) @amirm Does this forum software have a 'search this thread only' function ?

yes. In the search box click the “everywhere” button. Brings up search options.

Axaion

Anyone else having a few random audible pops here and there, when just playing music, talking on voice and so on?

MadMan

yes. In the search box click the “everywhere” button. Brings up search options.

I checked before asking, please read my question carefully. I said 'search this thread ONLY', it's something you can find on many forums, often near the top of the page near the first displayed post...there is no feature allowing me to search for a keyword only in a specific thread (ex: in this E30 thread, I want to find the word 'impedance'), I looked around in the advanced search options too.

Quomz

I checked before asking, please read my question carefully. I said 'search this thread ONLY', it's something you can find on many forums, often near the top of the page near the first displayed post...there is no feature allowing me to search for a keyword only in a specific thread (ex: in this E30 thread, I want to find the word 'impedance'), I looked around in the advanced search options too.

He meant this one I guess.

1597447711274.png

It seems to be an option for me.

Attachments

• F90E39A7-822B-4743-9500-80D53DC4DC7A.png
    F90E39A7-822B-4743-9500-80D53DC4DC7A.png
    593.1 KB · Views: 151

Tiller

Topping posted a new driver (V4.86)!
There is no information on the difference.

PenguinMusic

Topping posted a new driver (V4.86)!
There is no information on the difference.
Hi,
Maybe none ?
Just to tell "We're supporting the product" :)

Of course, that is somewhat of a joke.
But as I am on Linux, rolling release, I must say that when my system syas that I can upgrade from version 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 of "multilib", I hardly see any difference between before and after :)

Regards.

Jave

I suspect it has to do with how it is powered. I on purpose went with the "dirtiest" source of USB input.
What is this "dirtiest" source of USB input which you used?
Have you ever measured to see if there is any difference between the signal quality on motherboards which has "DAC-up" or some other "audio grade" USB outputs to the other outputs on the motherboard \ other motherboards?

PenguinMusic

What is this "dirtiest" source of USB input which you used?
Have you ever measured to see if there is any difference between the signal quality on motherboards which has "DAC-up" or some other "audio grade" USB outputs to the other outputs on the motherboard \ other motherboards?

Hi Jave,

Maybe I am mistaken, but Amirn has tested several USB outputs and USB devices that are supposed to "clean" the USB signal.
If I am not wrong, measures have shown no or no significant difference between those...
But of course, there are a lot of things I do not understand here, so maybe I am all wrong :-(

Regards.

Top Bottom