• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

MadMan

It's not like phone chargers with higher current capability cost a lot more, or more at all, and there's no harm in getting one with higher current capability. Maybe just avoid cheap chinese junk names. The E30 has decent power filtering, but there's no sense risking the charger damaging the DAC.

MKW

As has been explained by others, all E30's (or other Topping DACs) will work simultaneously with the same remote. Furthermore, if you need to control just one, then hold the remote close to that unit. From my experience, the remote doesn't have an annoyingly wide effect. We have two Vizio TV's in the basement, and either remote will control both regardless of what you do to prevent it - unplugging the power cord is the only option, which is annoying. Topping remotes are effective without being annoying.

Power the E30's using the 5v barrel adapter cord that comes with the unit. This cord is 5v barrel on one end, and male USB-A on the other end. I did not have success using the USB socket for power on the E30 - maybe it works for other folks. So use the barrel adapter cord, and plug it into any USB that provides 5v (typical USB power).

The way I'm using multiple E30's, I have theme set to -00.0 (full output), and control volume with miniDSP 4x10HD and/or NAD integrated amp/streamer.

Last edited:

MKW

Thanks. Glad you solved the noise issue.

As a source I use a Raspberry Pi (running piCorePlayer) with an Allo Digione Signature. Flac files are stored on internal drives on a PC, running Logitech Media Server. For (digital) volume control I use a smartphone with Squeeze Ctrl.

I wonder, with two or three Topping E30's, could you control volume of all units at once (I mean perfectly synchronized) using one remote?

Yes, one remote - perfectly synchronized.

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks for the answer.
It's just that the e30 kit does not include a charging unit with usb connection. So I don't know if there is any difference which phone charger to use? 1000мА or 2000 мА?
Or if we talk about a powered USB hub, can I use anyone, even the cheapest one? Or is it necessary to pay attention to something and choose a quality one?
It's just that I'm buying a DAC for the first time and I want to figure it out.
If you want peace of mind with USB power supplies, I recommend major brand mobile chargers.
I've been using Apple iPad and iPhone chargers for the D50/D50s all along. The E30 uses these as well.

I made and tried a pure DC power supply using a battery before and as a result I did not notice any difference in sound quality.

Hai

If you want peace of mind with USB power supplies, I recommend major brand mobile chargers.
I've been using Apple iPad and iPhone chargers for the D50/D50s all along. The E30 uses these as well.

I made and tried a pure DC power supply using a battery before and as a result I did not notice any difference in sound quality.
Hi toku, whats a good audio distributor in japan?

Bart

The way I'm using multiple E30's, I have theme set to -00.0 (full output), and control volume with miniDSP 4x10HD and/or NAD integrated amp/streamer.

I presume you mean NanoDIGI 2x8 (that you mentioned earlier) instead of 4x10HD? Otherwise you wouldn't need the additional DACs.

It would be interesting to find out if it makes a (noticeable) difference where in the audio chain (digital) attenuation is applied. Before, inside or after the DSP?

If I had Topping E30's instead of D30's I'd check this out. It's at least nice to have the option.

alexius henry

hi all,
newbies here. since i have bad experience to connect via USB from Rpi4B to D50, will this E30 behave likewise? Im running latest picoreplayer with schiit modi3 working very well. I worried if E30 will need special driver to install etc. Thanks for your comment in advance guys.

-Alex-

Zed

I bought that Jameco wall adapter as it was easier for me to use that adapter than to buy a usb-c adapter just for this unit. Works perfectly, meaning it does its job even if it is overkill.

Thanks...that’s good advice. So let me ask you this...if you were running three Topping E30’s off of one Pi4 (running Ropieee), how would you power them? Three of the four Pi ports will be used for audio, leaving only one left for power. I’m thinking of a plug-powered USB hub with at least six ports, for both data and power. Or using USB on the pi for audio and a 3-port hub for power. A hub like this for instance. The six port for everything is just cleaner wiring-wise. Not sure if I need to be concerned with power budget and the adapter on the hub at that point?

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
hi all,
newbies here. since i have bad experience to connect via USB from Rpi4B to D50, will this E30 behave likewise? Im running latest picoreplayer with schiit modi3 working very well. I worried if E30 will need special driver to install etc. Thanks for your comment in advance guys.

-Alex-
Since you don't give any details of your bad experience nobody can say whether it's likely to happen with the E30 too, or give any pointers to improve the situation with the D50. There's a wide range of software for the pi, use cases, and system wiring options, any of which could contribute to a problem.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Upgraded from SBX AE5 soundcard to E30+THX789 combo.

Not super precise but i volume matched the two with a sound meter app.
AE5 low gain %34: 85db pink noise from Ananda
789 mid gain 12 clock: 85db pink noise from Ananda. Switching to low gain it's 75db as it should so i guess it's not totally off.

Still evaluating the sound. Not sure which one is better. There are obvious differences. Slam better on the AE5, smoothness better on the E30+THX789. Now i have first hand experience i can confidently say they sound different but not much. AE5 treble is a bit glary which can hide some detail, 789 treble is calmer and more treble detail is visible. Biggest difference is in the bass punch. 789 is softer here. In the mids i noticed 789 have a bit 3D like sound. With 3D i don't mean it's enveloping surround 3D. I mean sound comes from a flat plane like normal but i can feel the 3d physicality of the instruments.

So basing my opinions from AE5 i can say that THX 789 sound smooth, less fatiguing and deep(soundstage). ''Smooth'' and ''deep'' highlights of the show. It's like a calibrated display. It doesn't have brightness, contrast, gamma, saturation issue which helps showing out more detail.

No difference between E30 filters at first glance. No difference between low, med, high gain settings either.

I've tried using E30 dac with AE5 amp but faced with very nasty ground issues. I will try AE5 dac with THX 789 amp.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi toku, whats a good audio distributor in japan?
I'm not very interested in Japanese audio brands or audio shops. Because there are few products that are expensive and satisfy the performance.
Recently, I often buy overseas audio products from AliExpress, Amazon, ebay, etc.

velasfloyd

Upgraded from SBX AE5 soundcard to E30+THX789 combo.

Not super precise but i volume matched the two with a sound meter app.
AE5 low gain %34: 85db pink noise from Ananda
789 mid gain 12 clock: 85db pink noise from Ananda. Switching to low gain it's 75db as it should so i guess it's not totally off.

Still evaluating the sound. Not sure which one is better. There are obvious differences. Slam better on the AE5, smoothness better on the E30+THX789. Now i have first hand experience i can confidently say they sound different but not much. AE5 treble is a bit glary which can hide some detail, 789 treble is calmer and more treble detail is visible. Biggest difference is in the bass punch. 789 is softer here. In the mids i noticed 789 have a bit 3D like sound. With 3D i don't mean it's enveloping surround 3D. I mean sound comes from a flat plane like normal but i can feel the 3d physicality of the instruments.

So basing my opinions from AE5 i can say that THX 789 sound smooth, less fatiguing and deep(soundstage). ''Smooth'' and ''deep'' highlights of the show. It's like a calibrated display. It doesn't have brightness, contrast, gamma, saturation issue which helps showing out more detail.

No difference between E30 filters at first glance. No difference between low, med, high gain settings either.

I've tried using E30 dac with AE5 amp but faced with very nasty ground issues. I will try AE5 dac with THX 789 amp.

if you read for some time this forum, you will realize that all that you wrote is just the product of your imagination. Or in other words, your brain playing with you.
They both sound the same probably. And if you find difference, it is because one of them is faulty (noise or distortion).
dont pretend to be rude here, just I wish this forum will not mutate to headfi style

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
if you read for some time this forum, you will realize that all that you wrote is just the product of your imagination. Or in other words, your brain playing with you.
They both sound the same probably. And if you find difference, it is because one of them is faulty (noise or distortion).
dont pretend to be rude here, just I wish this forum will not mutate to headfi style
Not necessarily. Depends on what headphones @odyo has and the output impedance of the AE5.

Also, noise and distortion may not indicate fault. May just be noisy.

velasfloyd

Not necessarily. Depends on what headphones @odyo has and the output impedance of the AE5.

Also, noise and distortion may not indicate fault. May just be noisy.

yea, agree. This could be a possibility.
Anyway, even if this is the case, too much headfi style :)

blse59

So if I connect my video game console to the RCA inputs on this it bypasses the E30 DAC and goes straight to the amplifier, right?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if I connect my video game console to the RCA inputs on this it bypasses the E30 DAC and goes straight to the amplifier, right?

Lost me there- the E30 has RCA outputs, not inputs. The only inputs are for digital signal.

Tup3x

I've tried using E30 dac with AE5 amp but faced with very nasty ground issues.
The quality that way would be only as good as the ADC in SoundCore3D chip which is low and poor.

odyo

Damn this dac looks really nice with silver casing, black front and orange leds.

odyo

The quality that way would be only as good as the ADC in SoundCore3D chip which is low and poor.
Soundcore chip is bypassed in direct mode. I'm not sure if it really uses adc. There is a line in port and selection in the driver.

Top Bottom