• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Aldoszx

I have D50s attached to another RPi4 with Ropieee, also powered from RPi USB.
It enters to standby from the beginning, on every Ropieee version, without any workaround.
That's why I've asked about that.
It seems D50s has this feature by default.

Regarding Ropieee, yes there it is a known problem and will be fixed, probably i a new release.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've connected the E30 via shtty RCA>3.5mm cable to my SBX AE5 soundcard line in port. Having hard time volume matching. I guess internal dac supplies 2v, E30 supplies 2.1v. It's slightly louder or i felt like that not sure.

It's not really comparable like this but just tried it anyway. Very short comparison they sounded same. In one song i feel like E30 sounded more snappy, faster and leaner in the bass, SBX AE5 sounded a bit more slammy, heavy. Vocals sounded like they have a bit more air surrounding them. Probably i'm imagining things lol. I currently have no time but i will do more proper comparisons soon. Before you ask i will not do volume match blind test or something.

Hai

What were you powering the E30 with? And what version of the E30 Windows Drivers are you using?

No drivers needed as it ran perfectly in the beginning. Just connected it to my pc and it ran fine. So I'm sure its plug and play. I bought it like last week so its the most updated topping e30 version. Powered it through a phone charger. It turns on, that's not the issue it's just it wont connect to my pc through the usb audio cable. My pc doesnt recognize it nor does the dac recognize the pc.

Aldoszx

I will try a separate power supply for E30.
But because I don't think it changes the SQ, I am very comfortable with RPi USB powered devices.
I have al least 5V-4A power supplies for all my RPis.

iamwhoiam

New photos of the L30 stack! Can't wait :)
stack1.jpg

stack2.jpg

Piotr

Now I am thinking:

- e30 + l30
- m300 mk II + l30
- m500

though choice in the 250-400$ territory

ReaderZ

I've connected the E30 via shtty RCA>3.5mm cable to my SBX AE5 soundcard line in port. Having hard time volume matching. I guess internal dac supplies 2v, E30 supplies 2.1v. It's slightly louder or i felt like that not sure.

It's not really comparable like this but just tried it anyway. Very short comparison they sounded same. In one song i feel like E30 sounded more snappy, faster and leaner in the bass, SBX AE5 sounded a bit more slammy, heavy. Vocals sounded like they have a bit more air surrounding them. Probably i'm imagining things lol. I currently have no time but i will do more proper comparisons soon. Before you ask i will not do volume match blind test or something.

I think any difference that's there is gone once it goes thought the line in and internal circuit of AE5.

odyo

Now I am thinking:

- e30 + l30
- m300 mk II + l30
- m500

though choice in the 250-400$ territory
Easy choice e30 l30 stack. M500+L30 would be nice if you want mqa.

Piotr

Easy choice e30 l30 stack. M500+L30 would be nice if you want mqa.
M500 has a headamp so I would skip L30. MQA is the puzzle; I listen to music only from Tidal hi-res so maybe it's worth it. Don't get why one would need a hw decoder if sw is present.

Does anyone has M500 and can hear a difference between MQA and 44.11Hz?

D

Deleted member 18309

Does anyone own more than one E30? Does the remote control operate both units? Or would you need to use one remote for each unit? My future setup may involve two E30s in the same vicinity and so I’m wondering if I’ll have trouble using the remote.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Does anyone own more than one E30? Does the remote control operate both units? Or would you need to use one remote for each unit? My future setup may involve two E30s in the same vicinity and so I’m wondering if I’ll have trouble using the remote.

I have a D90 and a E30. The remote controls for both are identical. They work on both DACs. In your case I guess it is the same.

Toku

Major Contributor
The remote control attached to the E30 can be used for all E30s. It cannot be set for each individual E30.
The Topping remote control can be used for all DACs.
I operate E30, DX3Pro, D50 with one remote control.
This seems convenient at first glance, but there are times when it is inconvenient because when you try to operate one DAC, the other DACs also react.

If you want a higher quality remote control, you can also use the aluminum CNC machined remote control for DX7s.

Attachments

• HTB10FWfKx1YBuNjy1zcq6zNcXXaW.jpg
    HTB10FWfKx1YBuNjy1zcq6zNcXXaW.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 125

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
M500 has a headamp so I would skip L30. MQA is the puzzle; I listen to music only from Tidal hi-res so maybe it's worth it. Don't get why one would need a hw decoder if sw is present.

Does anyone has M500 and can hear a difference between MQA and 44.11Hz?

When I'm listening for it, yes ;-)

But yes, if you are going USB via the Tidal desktop app, I wouldnt buy the M500 just for HW decoding of MQA when the app does up to 96khz software to any DAC.

What the M500 offers is XLR outputs which can be very useful for connecting to equipment prone to ground loops

SpitFire

I want to buy this DAC.
Tell me please, how to power it better without losing quality?
Connect power through the USB cable that comes with the DAC directly to the computer?
Or is it better with some other method? In the main post it is written that they were connected through some kind of USB display hub.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
I want to buy this DAC.
Tell me please, how to power it better without losing quality?
Connect power through the USB cable that comes with the DAC directly to the computer?
Or is it better with some other method? In the main post it is written that they were connected through some kind of USB display hub.

I don't know what you mean with 'some kind of USB display hub', but:

Instead of connecting the supplied 'power to USB' cable to the computer connect this cable to a phone charger with an usb connection (or a powered USB hub. I assume you mean this in your remark).

SpitFire

I don't know what you mean with 'some kind of USB display hub', but:

Instead of connecting the supplied 'power to USB' cable to the computer connect this cable to a phone charger with an usb connection (or a powered USB hub. I assume you mean this in your remark).
Thanks for the answer.
It's just that the e30 kit does not include a charging unit with usb connection. So I don't know if there is any difference which phone charger to use? 1000мА or 2000 мА?
Or if we talk about a powered USB hub, can I use anyone, even the cheapest one? Or is it necessary to pay attention to something and choose a quality one?
It's just that I'm buying a DAC for the first time and I want to figure it out.

Top Bottom