• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your miles may vary. But maybe you were lucky. I've had occasions too where I did not pay anything extra with an Amazon order (also from Shenzen). On other occasions with Amazon (also from Shenzen) I had to pay extra fees to DHL and import rights to the Netherlands, but it is not a given. It is just how lucky you are with border checks etc. By the way: it is not all included upfront in the price on Amazon. Read Amazon's fineprint about delivery from third parties ;).

There are lots of known cases where people (also UK) had to pay extra import fees and even VAT etc. when ordering via a third party with Amazon. Next time when you order, your direct experience may differ ;)
Ok then, roll the dice baby, I'm a lucky fella!

Pep2020

Your miles may vary. But maybe you were lucky. I've had occasions too where I did not pay anything extra with an Amazon order (also from Shenzen). On other occasions with Amazon (also from Shenzen) I had to pay extra fees to DHL and import rights to the Netherlands, but it is not a given. It is just how lucky you are with border checks etc. By the way: it is not all included upfront in the price on Amazon. Read Amazon's fineprint about delivery from third parties ;).

There are lots of known cases where people (also UK) had to pay extra import fees and even VAT etc. when ordering via a third party with Amazon. Next time when you order, your direct experience may differ ;)

I bought from Amazon UK from Schenzen. No extra charges.

Pep2020

Thanks for the explanation on using E30 with a raspberry Pi.
My installation of MoOde did not detect the E30 and provide the "USB Audio Device" option on initial connection.

Moode worked perfectly on RPi4 first time with just standard installation process.

Dac Visitor

It is better to buy the dac in your own country. If something is wrong with it, you still have a two-year warranty, but the supplier is obliged to find a solution with China.

Kane1972

It is better to buy the dac in your own country. If something is wrong with it, you still have a two-year warranty, but the supplier is obliged to find a solution with China.

There is only the Chinese seller on Amazon.co.uk, there are no other companies selling it in the UK.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There really isn't for me as it worked perfectly first time.

Just because you didn't encounter it doesn't mean it isn't there.

This is an easily-reproducible bug, and @PNWer ran into it, through no fault of his own. It is therefore worthwhile warning others both of its existence and of what to do about it ...

Dac Visitor

There is only the Chinese seller on Amazon.co.uk, there are no other companies selling it in the UK.

I bought this dac at Hifistudio79 in the Netherlands for 129 euros with a 2 year warranty and free delivery. And they can report in advance which sn number you get.

Peen

Just bought the E30 and is my first real DAC, and having an issue.

I'm going E30 > PW Link > Klipsch PowerGate

Basically if I run in DAC mode I get horrible clipping. Troubleshooting, I changed to Apple dongle and all is good. Then I switched E30 to Pre and it is set to -00.0 db and still clipping. Once I turn it down to like -05.0 db the clipping goes away.

What am I doing wrong? I thought I would be able to set this in DAC mode. It's brand new, and using the supplied USB cable.

Thanks,
Tyler

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought the E30 and is my first real DAC, and having an issue.

I'm going E30 > PW Link > Klipsch PowerGate

Basically if I run in DAC mode I get horrible clipping. Troubleshooting, I changed to Apple dongle and all is good. Then I switched E30 to Pre and it is set to -00.0 db and still clipping. Once I turn it down to like -05.0 db the clipping goes away.

What am I doing wrong? I thought I would be able to set this in DAC mode. It's brand new, and using the supplied USB cable.

Thanks,
Tyler
Probably the same as the other guy in this thread, you're overloading the input on your connected device. It's likely that your Apple Dongle doesn't output the same Vrms as the E30, probably outputs lower, so that's probably why you can run the apple dongle wide open while with the E30 you had to turn it down -5dB. I skimmed through the manuals & specs for PW Link but couldn't find any listing for what the max input can be.

Peen

Probably the same as the other guy in this thread, you're overloading the input on your connected device. It's likely that your Apple Dongle doesn't output the same Vrms as the E30, probably outputs lower, so that's probably why you can run the apple dongle wide open while with the E30 you had to turn it down -5dB. I skimmed through the manuals & specs for PW Link but couldn't find any listing for what the max input can be.

Thanks for the reply,

Looks like the Apple dongle outputs about 1v while the E30 is over 2.1v.

Can't find any info for max input voltage in the PW Link review thread. Also tried looking in the manual and the Martin Logan Unison manual.

Not a huge deal, just running at -15db to be safe. Guess I just wanted to see the data rates on the screen instead of the constant db :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply,

Looks like the Apple dongle outputs about 1v while the E30 is over 2.1v.

Can't find any info for max input voltage in the PW Link review thread. Also tried looking in the manual and the Martin Logan Unison manual.

Not a huge deal, just running at -15db to be safe. Guess I just wanted to see the data rates on the screen instead of the constant db :)
Actually, if that's the case re your Apple dongle output level then you probably can get away fine by running just -7dB. Here's a calculator:
http://www.playdotsound.com/portfol...making-sense-of-linear-values-in-audio-tools/
-7dB is equivalent to running 45% of the max output, so 0.45x2.14V = 0.96V which is under your 1V of the Apple Dongle.

You'd probably get the best out of your E30 in your situation by running -7dB.

icssiculo

Hi, I feed (alimentate) it with the project accu box. I built a usb cable with only the two data connectors, but it is not recognized. because? thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_153812.jpg
    IMG_20200627_153812.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 225

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi, I feed (alimentate) it with the project accu box. I built a usb cable with only the two data connectors, but it is not recognized. because? thank you

You will also have to connect at least the ground wire and it might sense for the presence of +5V.
When you feed it with USB power from the same PC as the music source you might get away with only the data wires.
Use a normal USB A cable for data. There really is NO point in using 'special' cables and floating or super clean external powersupplies

Peen

Actually, if that's the case re your Apple dongle output level then you probably can get away fine by running just -7dB. Here's a calculator:
http://www.playdotsound.com/portfol...making-sense-of-linear-values-in-audio-tools/
-7dB is equivalent to running 45% of the max output, so 0.45x2.14V = 0.96V which is under your 1V of the Apple Dongle.

You'd probably get the best out of your E30 in your situation by running -7dB.

Thanks for the info!

Looking at the calculator, doing some testing and math, it seems like the PW Link is limited past 1.5v or so (-3db). It's start distorting bad at about -1db on DAC.

Top Bottom