• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Axaion

Latency will depend on the chosen filter setting and buffer size.

There is no power brick. Only a powersupply cable with USB-A plug is supplied.
Plug it in a USB port or use any 5V adapter that has a USB-A output.

Hey man, thanks for replying!

I was going to run it in its default config, or the sharp filter that cuts off at 24khz, not going to run it in ASIO or WASAPI, its for general use, but guessing id choose the lowest buffer size i could, for the lowest latency i could as long as it doesnt impact audio with pops and so on

Guessing theres not much difference from motherboard usb power, versus a samsung phone charger for powering it

PNWer

I have my E30 hooked up, via USB, to a Raspberry Pi streamer. Since the Pi is always on, the E30 never goes into standby mode, even if no music is playing.

I'd be happy to hear of a solution which enables the E30 to go into standby mode. But failing that, is it better to leave it on 24/7, or power it off when not in use?
Can you post suggestions on where to find the drivers, settings you used in setting up
Raspberry Pi so E30 can be be used as the USB DAC ?

Topping posted instructions on how to set up E30 in Windows and Mac, wish they will add Raspberry Pi instructions too.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

PNWer

What else do you need?

I am looking to set up the E30 for use with Raspberry Pi,
I followed Topping instructions in its user manual and set it up to use with imac ( easy one),
and then redo Topping instructions for windows with Foobar2000 a couple of times before success.
Now I like to it with Raspberry Pi ( I have Pi 3, but can upgrade to Pi if needed).
linux drivers , and then instructions and settings.

samsa

There are no drivers needed under either Linux or Macos.

Plug in the E30, and the Kernel recognizes it as a USB Audio device. I have not yet encountered a piece of audio software for Linux (Roon, Volumio, moOdeAudio, ...) that has failed to offer the E30 as an output option.

At worse, when I needed to hand-edit the SongCast parameters in the configuration file for upmpdcli, I had to look up the E30's ALSA device name by doing an aplay -L. But it is highly unlikely any normal person would ever have to do that.

PNWer

There are no drivers needed under either Linux or Macos.

Plug in the E30, and the Kernel recognizes it as a USB Audio device. I have not yet encountered a piece of audio software for Linux (Roon, Volumio, moOdeAudio, ...) that has failed to offer the E30 as an output option.

At worse, when I needed to hand-edit the SongCast parameters in the configuration file for upmpdcli, I had to look up the E30's ALSA device name by doing an aplay -L. But it is highly unlikely any normal person would ever have to do that.

Thank you for telling me no drivers are needed.
I found in MoOdeaudio.org
instructions
"
Just go to MPD Config panel (there are several paths to this such as m>Config>MPD), select "USB Audio device" as the Device type, and save.
On the Audio Config page go down to the MPD section and click on the MPD options "EDIT options" button.

When the MPD Config page opens, select "USB audio device" in the Device type. Save and you should be set.

"
but MoodeAudio does not recognizes my DAC yet and the "USB audio device" choice didn't show up
I will try unplug & plug several times and reboot some more times and see .

samsa

Hmmm. Interesting. I am (currently) using moOde 6.5.2 as the OS for the RPi connected to the E30. When I set it up initially, I did exactly as those instructions say.

Code:
2. AUDIO DEVICE SETUP
    - USB DEVICE
    a) Menu, Configure, Audio
    b) Select "None" for I2S audio device then SET
    c) Restart
    d) Menu, Configure, Audio
    e) EDIT MPD config
    f) Leave Volume control set to "Software"
    g) Set Device type to "USB audio device"
    h) SAVE
    i) Restart

But now, revisiting that web page, I see Nothing Selected as the Device Type. This problem is a bug in the current version of moOde and has been reported on the moOde Support Forum. Making the change suggested in that post does make USB Audio Device show up again.

Note: Once you've carried out steps (a)-(i), it's safe to revert the change to /var/www/inc/playerlib.php.

Last edited:

Tup3x

It looks like Topping E30 has better measurements but it does not sound as good as Schiit Modi Multibit which has worse measurements
There's no way that anyone could possibly make any kind of judgement based on
  1. a YouTube video (lossy, heavily compressed audio, probably lossly encoded before uploading)
  2. that has been recorded speakers in a room with poor acoustics,
  3. with a "poor microphone" for this kind of test (https://tascam.com/int/product/dr-22wl/spec)
  4. and with a ADC (https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs42l52/) that can't possibly match the DAC performance even in perfect implementation.
  5. Volume levels clearly weren't matched.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Can you post suggestions on where to find the drivers, settings you used in setting up
Raspberry Pi so E30 can be be used as the USB DAC ?

Topping posted instructions on how to set up E30 in Windows and Mac, wish they will add Raspberry Pi instructions too.

There is no need for Topping to provide instructions on how to setup E30 on a Raspberry PI. Just Google how to connect a DAC (any DAC) to a Raspberry Pi. This goes exactly the same for the E30.

The E30 is compatible with USB Audio 2. All the Linux distro's running on a Pi are also compatible with USB Audio 2.

You don't need drivers to connect the E30 to a raspberry Pi. Just plug it in the USB (also provide the E30 with power) and restart the Pi. The program you use on the Pi to play music (I use Volumio) will recognize the Topping automatically in the settings.

Edit:
I completely oversaw that @samsa already answered this. I was a bit to quick with my answer ;).

Last edited:

Kane1972

Comparing all the DAC's under $200, I actually think this Topping may be the best value. The Sanskrit 10th mk2 has XLR's, which is a bonus, but I personally feel the measurements on the E30 are more reassuring. Sure, the SINAD is a touch higher on the SMSL and I am no expert at all, but I think the Topping looks better on paper. I'm happy to be enlightened and proved incorrect there. It so happens it is the same width and height as the Atom amp too, which I'd bet was not a coincidence. The Atom DAC would have been a competitor if it had a screen or LED's to indicate sample rate etc.

Dac Visitor

Comparing all the DAC's under $200, I actually think this Topping may be the best value. The Sanskrit 10th mk2 has XLR's, which is a bonus, but I personally feel the measurements on the E30 are more reassuring. Sure, the SINAD is a touch higher on the SMSL and I am no expert at all, but I think the Topping looks better on paper. I'm happy to be enlightened and proved incorrect there. It so happens it is the same width and height as the Atom amp too, which I'd bet was not a coincidence. The Atom DAC would have been a competitor if it had a screen or LED's to indicate sample rate etc.

I have owned this E30 for a week (sn 2004) and can only say it sounds fantastic in my set especially the low and the middle. Don't need any other anymore he is very ok.

Kane1972

Can anyone tell me if I buy one of these via Amazon UK, if I will have to pay import duty or VAT on top of the £109? I have posted the question there but thought I'd ask her too in case anyone in UK has bought one or thinking of doing so.

DeepFried

Can anyone tell me if I buy one of these via Amazon UK, if I will have to pay import duty or VAT on top of the £109? I have posted the question there but thought I'd ask her too in case anyone in UK has bought one or thinking of doing so.

Well I just bought one myself from Amazon in the UK, it shipped from China (which i didn't realise would happen tbh) but they put a customs note on it saying it was worth $10... not sure how I feel about that, but I definitely didn't get invoiced for import duty/tax.

The particular supplier I bought from is currently out of stock however.

AndyLu

Forum Donor

If the product and shipping is handled by a third party (Shenzen?) there is a big chance that you have to pay extra fees/VAT/Import rights on top of your GBP109. It is also stated in the User Agreement of Amazon (hard to find, I know). I am from the Netherlands and I have experienced multiple times (when ordering from Amazon.nl) that I was charged extra export/import/border fees (by DHL etc.) when shipping from China via a third Party.

Probably you are better off when you order the E30 with Audiofonics: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/
Audiofonics is based in France and imports the E30 so their prices are all inclusive. Disclaimer: I do not know how Brexit will affect this.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Probably you are better off when you order the E30 with Audiofonics: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/
Audiofonics is based in France and imports the E30 so their prices are all inclusive. Disclaimer: I do not know how Brexit will affect this.
Brexit isn't supposed to affect anything until December, assuming no agreement is reached in the meantime, and that nobody does anything stupid. Not that I'd want to comment on the chances of either...

PNWer

There is no need for Topping to provide instructions on how to setup E30 with Raspberry PI. Just Google how to connect a DAC (any DAC) to a Raspberry Pi. This goes exactly the same for the E30.

The E30 is compatible with USB Audio 2. All the Linux distro's running on a Pi are also compatible with USB Audio 2.

You don't need drivers to connect the E30 to a raspberry Pi. Just plug it in the USB (also provide the E30 with power) and restart the Pi. The program you use on the Pi to play music (I use Volumio) will recognize the Topping automatically in the settings.

Edit:
I completely oversaw that @samsa already answered this. I was a bit to quick with my answer ;).

Thanks for the explanation on using E30 with a raspberry Pi.
My installation of MoOde did not detect the E30 and provide the "USB Audio Device" option on initial connection.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Thanks for the explanation on using E30 with a raspberry Pi.
My installation of MoOde did not detect the E30 and provide the "USB Audio Device" option on initial connection.

Than the source of your problem is MoOde and not the E30. I have no experience with MoOde. Sorry can't help you there :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought mine from Amazon UK (Schenzen Audio) and I didn't have to pay any extra import taxes.......it's all included upfront in the price on Amazon. That's my direct experience.
If the product and shipping is handled by a third party (Shenzen?) there is a big chance that you have to pay extra fees/VAT/Import rights on top of your GBP109. It is also stated in the User Agreement of Amazon (hard to find, I know). I am from the Netherlands and I have experienced multiple times (when ordering from Amazon.nl) that I was charged extra export/import/border fees (by DHL etc.) when shipping from China via a third Party.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
I bought mine from Amazon UK (Schenzen Audio) and I didn't have to pay any extra import taxes.......it's all included upfront in the price on Amazon. That's my direct experience.

Your miles may vary. But maybe you were lucky. I've had occasions too where I did not pay anything extra with an Amazon order (also from Shenzen). On other occasions with Amazon (also from Shenzen) I had to pay extra fees to DHL and import rights to the Netherlands, but it is not a given. It is just how lucky you are with border checks etc. By the way: it is not all included upfront in the price on Amazon. Read Amazon's fineprint about delivery from third parties ;).

There are lots of known cases where people (also UK) had to pay extra import fees and even VAT etc. when ordering via a third party with Amazon. Next time when you order, your direct experience may differ ;)

Last edited:

samsa

To be technical about it, the problem wasn't with detecting the E30 (which moOde did just fine). The problem is that the name of the other audio interface changed (in one of the 4.19.x versions of the Linux Kernel) from "ALSA" to "Headphones". The moOde web interface did not take account of this change.

Diff:
--- /var/www/inc/playerlib.php.orig    2020-06-27 12:46:42.324937564 -0500
+++ /var/www/inc/playerlib.php    2020-06-27 12:47:08.020911946 -0500
@@ -1774,7 +1774,7 @@
     }

// Device 1
-    if ($card1 != '' && $card0 == "ALSA\n") {
+    if ($card1 != '' && ($card0 == "ALSA\n" || $card0 == "Headphones\n")) {
         $dev[1] = 'USB audio device';
     }
     else {

Last edited: