• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

iamwhoiam

His reply was vague, so didn't answer your question....maybe he worded it like that on purpose. I would think if you have 2003 serial number that it's Optical with wrong polarity. If you want a proper answer from him I think you're gonna have to ask him to actually specifically tell you if the optical is inverse polarity or not for your serial number.

Literally registered to post the reply to this, having been very much a lurker for a long time!

Attachments

• H202d0857dc2441899755f37bb8d52c59d.jpg
    H202d0857dc2441899755f37bb8d52c59d.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 402

AndyLu

Forum Donor
So I received my E30 today, excitedly hooked it up, downloaded the drivers from TPDZ.net and...nothing. Front panel is showing 44.1PCM but I'm getting no sound at all. I've restarted my computer (my source) and checked all the connections. The 1st gen Modi DAC it was replacing was working fine today. Connecting via USB input and rca out.

Any ideas?

Maybe a dumb question, but did you adjust the output settings of your audio player program to the correct device? (ASIO: Topping or WASAPI Topping).

Edit:
I see now that @Robo99999 already answered your question much more comprehensive that I did ;)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Literally registered to post the reply to this, having been very much a lurker for a long time!
Congrats on the DAC! Well, you've got a DAC with a 2004 serial number so it won't have any polarity issues (from what Topping said to one of the users here).

iamwhoiam

Congrats on the DAC! Well, you've got a DAC with a 2004 serial number so it won't have any polarity issues (from what Topping said to one of the users here).

Yeah, looks like it finally made it to distributors. I'm not going to post the specific seller, but they're out there if you ask nicely.

EDIT: Asking the distributors nicely, not me. Thanks!

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Yeah, looks like it finally made it to distributors. I'm not going to post the specific seller, but they're out there if you ask nicely
Why not post the specific seller? Ah OK, more nicely: Kind sir, would you be inclined to please tell me who sold it to you, I promise you to be your best friend for life and send you flowers.

iamwhoiam

Why not post the specific seller? Ah OK, more nicely: Kind sir, would you be inclined to please tell me who sold it to you, I promise you to be your best friend for life and send you flowers.

Mainly because:

1) The reversed polarity is completely inaudible, which I don't want to go into past this post in this thread. There is no human on earth who will be able to hear the half-phase difference. Anyone who says they can, it is due to subconscious bias / inexplicable and unnecessary rage @ Topping.

2) I don't think it's appropriate in a public forum. I'm happy to share the details in a PM, which I've sent you.

iamwhoiam

Rage? This forum is all about perfection and accuracy, technical correctness. This forum should always hold no bias. It should help keep manufactures as transparent as the DAC's they design and build.
I have given you and the community useful information. Topping's fix of a technically inaudible issue is out on the open market.

p.s. Feel free to get the last word in if you like, cos I really don't care after this. :):cool:

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh well, looks like I have been overly enthusiast about this... On the Topping site there isn't any vendors for Canada. I reached out to Apos (usa), which were suggested in this forum, and they don't ship to Canada, unfortunate because I really liked the look and feature set of this little Dac. Any fellow Canucks here that knows a way to have access to topping gear?

Hi, I ordered my DAC SMSL M200 from the seller DILVSHI from Amazon ca on May 17 and received it as expected on May 29. I have a friend who ordered a Topping DAC from this seller and it was delivered quickly

toukolou

Check that your Windows sound level is not muted or at zero or something, shift slider to 100% for example...well that's super obvious, but why not list it!

I'd also check in Device Manager that you can see your DAC there and that there are no yellow exclamation marks showing equipment that is not installed properly.

You also need to power the E30 using the dedicated power USB cable (barrel power connector), you can't just run it from one USB port (the USB input for music doesn't power the device at all, is my understanding).

I'd also try uninstalling the Topping drivers, restart the PC, and test with just the Windows drivers....windows will automatically install the correct drivers on startup. If that doesn't work, then I'd have another go with installing the Topping drivers.

Oh yeah, and if your DAC is in pre amp mode then make sure you're at 0.00dB, which is max volume - just to rule out it being accidentally set at minimum volume or something.
Thank you for the detailed advice, I tried all of those things, nothing worked. I actually had to go into the "playback devices" settings and set the e30 as default. It's been about 8 years since I've had to do this so it was overlooked. Thanks again though.

toukolou

Maybe a dumb question, but did you adjust the output settings of your audio player program to the correct device? (ASIO: Topping or WASAPI Topping).

Edit:
I see now that @Robo99999 already answered your question much more comprehensive that I did ;)
Turns out it was this. Thank you AndyLu.

The e30 sounds pretty amazing though, especially compared to the gen1 Modi I've been using. Don't even need to keep the Atom on high gain for decent volume anymore. Thanks again!

jevenator

Question:
Few days ago I tested the optical output from my tv to the E30 which then goes to my jbl305p mkii. It was working great. Just now if I plug in the optical cable I get a horrible jittering tick noise and nothing else. Optical cable is working perfectly fine with my Samsung sound bar though. Is this a problem with my E30?

Top Bottom