• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

JRM_PT

I think wsz0304 and Shenzhen Audio are one and the same, and I'm reasonably sure the method to avoid duty will be the same too.
Shenzhen Audio confirmed by message through Amazon that they ship from China. In those cases and any duty would be the buyers responsibility so I've ordered from Audiophonics. The extra cost was just the shipping cost from Bordeaux to Lisbon, and I've bought some additional stuff: a small oled screen for the RPi4, some RCA plugs (I'll need to make a new interconnect cable) and a micro HDMI/hdmi adapter

Toku

Major Contributor
It shipped with 1.06 Firmware, I tried to update this using Parallels on my Mac, I got the driver installed, but the Firmware installataion failed every time I tried it... If anyone's managed to do this any help would be appreciated!
Parallels can virtually build a Windows operating environment on the Mac OS, but in reality it has a fairly limited behavior.
I don't think Topping's update tool or USB driver installation is allowed by Apple.

NgxHS7

OK finally got one of these...
I paid £105 (shipping included) on eBay via seller 'wsz0304' and it took 16 days to reach the UK, there were no additional customs charges.
The E30 is built really nicely, certainly looks a lot less 'DIY' than my D10.

It shipped with 1.06 Firmware, I tried to update this using Parallels on my Mac, I got the driver installed, but the Firmware installataion failed every time I tried it... If anyone's managed to do this any help would be appreciated!

Re the sample change 'click', trust me, if you're using an integrated amp, or a pre/power, you are not going to be bothered by this.

One thing that is a bit strange, according to the iOS app 'Mobile Tools by AudioControl' the polarity on the E30 (and my D10) are reversed, both negative polarity. I thought this may be something else downstream, but tested the headphone jack on my MBP and also a Chord Mojo, and they both register as positive polarity with the same amp and speakers.
16 days is reasonable. I ordered mine from AliExpress and it's already been 15 days. Still "handed over to airlines". Looking forward to using it as a preamp for some active speakers.

madugo

i got mine from apos, ordered 15 days ago and just got it today, black color was out of stock for about 10 days, got a 30 bucks refund and upgraded shipping.

Tup3x

I have heard there may be some kind of DX5 this year (I assume D50/A50(s) inspired combo unit, but not sure if this will be an upgrade or more of a sidegrade to the DX7 Pro or this E30/L30 stack. Still patiently waiting for the "DX9 Pro" myself.
I'd rather buy combo unit than two separate devices. Less wires and power adapters...

Veri

Master Contributor
One thing that is a bit strange, according to the iOS app 'Mobile Tools by AudioControl' the polarity on the E30 (and my D10) are reversed, both negative polarity. I thought this may be something else downstream, but tested the headphone jack on my MBP and also a Chord Mojo, and they both register as positive polarity with the same amp and speakers.

That's very interesting. Why aren't we testing the polarity of DACs?

PyramidElectric

That's very interesting. Why aren't we testing the polarity of DACs?
I am! It's weird though, Topping must go to great lengths to get so much of these little DACs so right (the hard stuff) and then mess up on something so simple (at least twice!)... Obviously there's a lot of debate on whether anyone can actually hear the difference between +/- (as long as both channels are the same), but it's strange thing to do anyway.

bboris77

OK finally got one of these...
I paid £105 (shipping included) on eBay via seller 'wsz0304' and it took 16 days to reach the UK, there were no additional customs charges.
The E30 is built really nicely, certainly looks a lot less 'DIY' than my D10.

Re the sample change 'click', trust me, if you're using an integrated amp, or a pre/power, you are not going to be bothered by this.

I just checked my D70 and it is positive polarity. I assume you downloaded the Speaker Pop Test Signals Zip file from here: https://studiosixdigital.com/support/downloads-2/speaker-pop-signals.zip

I played that signal and it came out as positive polarity. Then I manually reversed it using JRiver Media Centre Parametric Equalizer, and it came out as negative, confirming that the app works reliably.

Pimmsley

I am! It's weird though, Topping must go to great lengths to get so much of these little DACs so right (the hard stuff) and then mess up on something so simple (at least twice!)... Obviously there's a lot of debate on whether anyone can actually hear the difference between +/- (as long as both channels are the same), but it's strange thing to do anyway.

Hello, new member here, signed up as I recently purchased the E30 after seeing the test reports here and been closely following the thread.
i have a background in pro audio (recording, mixing mastering) and electronics hobyist for over 40 years.

Unfortunately I can confirm the above is true, i made a recording of a file directly from the outputs of the e30 to my sony PCM D100 and the recorded stereo file when viewed in DAW compared to the original file was inverted polarity...

I am absolutely gobsmacked that the design could make it to production with such a fundamental 'flaw' regardless if its audible or not its the inverse of what the digital source bits say it should be.

considering returning the unit now as i dont want to wire up cables to flip the outputs for analogue recording etc :(

I was all excited about jumping in on a very new product that tested so well but feel quite burned now as an early adopter to find out this DAC is inverting the outputs a month later

What the hell topping, what possible reason could justify not picking up and correcting this at pre production ?

Tup3x

I'd like to know the reason for that.

PyramidElectric

I just checked my D70 and it is positive polarity. I assume you downloaded the Speaker Pop Test Signals Zip file from here: https://studiosixdigital.com/support/downloads-2/speaker-pop-signals.zip
Yep I used the 'Speaker Pop Test Signal .wav format' file. And yep, tried the 'invert polarity' preference in both Audirvana and BitPerfect, and it does indeed change the polarity from - to +.
I'm sure this is probably fixable via firmware, but since firmware updates are PC only, that's not useful to me. @Topping: please please please make an OSX version of these firmware updates.

NgxHS7

Yep I used the 'Speaker Pop Test Signal .wav format' file. And yep, tried the 'invert polarity' preference in both Audirvana and BitPerfect, and it does indeed change the polarity from - to +.
I'm sure this is probably fixable via firmware, but since firmware updates are PC only, that's not useful to me. @Topping: please please please make an OSX version of these firmware updates.

I hope it is firmwear fixable.

Last edited:

Pimmsley

Topping reps, please advise if this can be corrected in firmware ?
It would save me a product return and overall disappointment

(although i suspect it requires an additional op amp in the analogue stage)

Top Bottom