• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Predatowned

my current setup is Schiit Modi multibit (first gen I guess?) Schiit eitr and the jds atom amplifier. Itching to try something new. Given the measurements on the e30 and it being only 130.00, would it be a side upgrade

Last edited:

conuss

Wait. You don't have an E30? What???

This thread has gone to hell because of the newbies. Hopefully it can be steered back in the right direction.
Why are you so surprised? or where did you read that I have it? A lot of emotions that destroy you without an answer to a simple question - what kind of amplifier do you have?

At this point no one cares if your intuition says that it can be fixed by firmware
But you had a case study for my intuition, which was never preoccupied with it! )

conuss, you are going on my ignore list for wasting everyone's time with your hysterical, speculative nonsense.
To do this, the forum has a special section, just use it, do not be unfounded. But, it is important for you to declare your ignore to me just in principle in public! How brave!

You have come to the wrong forum to peddle nonsense that lowering the bit depth degrades the "quality" of the signal.
The only effect of lowering the bit depth is to raise the noise floor (lower the SNR). Guess what? Lowering the volume with an analogue pot also lowers the SNR. In almost all cases (in particular, setting aside the pop issue), controlling the volume in the digital domain yields a better result.
There are measurements showing that bit loss does not occur at low volume on the E30? I was just relying on what I thought was an authoritative source claim that.

Fawzay

btw when could we expect the new amp L30?

Fawzay

rigadoon

Forum Donor
Wait. You don't have an E30? What???

Lol yeah can we all just buy one of these already like we obviously want to for some cheap AK thrills...it's really not that much, and they'll fix whatever they can with firmware. I really want to compare with my D50s into Atom into LP-6s while looking at that sweet orange display. You guys go first tho...tired of hitting refresh on this thread :) Topping could you make it in white too, so it matches my LP-6s ;) Promise I'll buy the L30 as well whenever it fights its way out...

Jesus LIVErpool

As far as I know the E30 does not hum. If you experience a hum: Check your RCA cables for ground loops, or check any equipment in your audio chain. Also check your power supply. Normaly the E30 does not hum at all. A friend of mine who has the E30 does not here any hum either. Also on this forum I did not read anything about the E30 humming, except for one post. Later the same person of that post said that the hum was because of the cables he used. The hum you here probably comes from elsewhere and not from the DAC.

Thanks for your answer. I understand that at the end of the quality line is always the lowest key component which make the overall quality. I will check everything and also the cables. Good tip about the Ground loop. My consideration was more related to the power supply given that i get the Usb power from the amp. Also it could be a low insulation from the amp.

I have been waiting to get a Hifi Ultra-low noise Linear Power supply but i need to do a little bit more research about it.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I have been waiting to get a Hifi Ultra-low noise Linear Power supply but i need to do a little bit more research about it.
If you're planning to use it with the E30 you'd almost certainly be wasting your money, assuming the goal is audio performance not a pretty box or bragging rights. There will be multiple internal regulators, almost certainly including a switching regulator of some sort to make the -ve rail for the output stage. These are good enough to produce this measured performance when supplied from an ordinary USB hub. In the unlikely event that a change of PSU improves on these measurements, that improvement will almost certainly be inaudible in a blind test (level matching not required in this case as you'd just be changing power source).

yejun

Thanks for your answer. I understand that at the end of the quality line is always the lowest key component which make the overall quality. I will check everything and also the cables. Good tip about the Ground loop. My consideration was more related to the power supply given that i get the Usb power from the amp. Also it could be a low insulation from the amp.

You can just test with a phone charger as power supply to verify if is the ground loop issue. I use ifi ipower with my E30.

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are the connections at the back so loose?
Is that normal ?

If you're talking about the barrel connector on the supplied USB-A → barrel cable, yeah. Mine had an outer diameter ~.5mm too narrow.

The correct cable is easy to obtain. But it was a little chagrining that Topping shipped the wrong cable with my E30.

Interesting, maybe you can try Manjaro, it's 64bit Linux. That's the only difference i can think of now. Or buy a raspberry pi 4 which has better usb port I think.

I did upgrade my Rpi 3B+ to the latest Raspbian and Linux kernel:

Code:
Raspbian 10.3 | 5.4.35-v8+ #1314 | aarch64 (64-bit)

That made no difference to the "E30 won't stay in Standby mode when connected via USB" issue.

Last edited:

Pulkass

As a pre amp, does it amplify signal or is it just an electronic potentiometer?

inu912

Wanting to pick one up but it seems shipping is significantly delayed from China, has anyone bought from aliexpress recently using dhl and received within 2 weeks?

Jesus LIVErpool

Wanting to pick one up but it seems shipping is significantly delayed from China, has anyone bought from aliexpress recently using dhl and received within 2 weeks?
Yes over few weeks ago I bought one. Shenzhen audio bit not from Ali express. It takes 5 working days to proceed the order but after that I had it in a week. Be aware that you might need to pay tax ditties.

NgxHS7

I ordered one a few days ago via Aliexpress postage. It has already left the country according to tracking. I was going to use DHL but didn't want to pay the customs charges that so many have complained about. I know it's dependent on the country, so this may not apply to you. You should be okay with DHL.

dpippel

I ordered mine from Apos Audio. They shipped it from China on April 27th and it was delivered to me in Arizona on April 29th. Woo-hoo!

Last edited:
Top Bottom