• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Illtrick

For the record I did go ahead with the install, I've encountered things like this before and they've turned out to be false positives. It can be a burdon for small time developers to register their files as safe with every party known to man.

fosi

By default Windows uses Direct Sound when E30 is connected and Wasapi/Asio when the driver is installed (topping_usbaudio_setup_v4.82.0.zip) ????

Jarrett

No pop issue here. Everyone should be using gapless if available.

Last edited:

yodog

I updated the firmware and there’s no more pop sound from what I can hear :)

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello all,
The improved E30 arrived from Topping yesterday and is now testing the operation.
The S / N of the E30 I purchased is 191173 ****, and the S / N of the E30 that I received from Topping this time is 191173 ****, which seems to be the product of the same production lot. The firmware version was the same as V1.06.

The test files were randomly switched using PCM44.1kHz to PCM768kHz and DSD2.8 to DSD22.5.

The test was first done with the firmware still at V1.06, then updated to V1.07 and retested. Below are the results so far.

1. Sound is frequently interrupted when playing DSD2.8
Completely improved.

2. Previously reported pop noise when stopping playback
It was improved.

3. Strange display when switching songs
It has been improved, but in rare cases, the Err display may appear for a moment.

4. When DSD is played after E30 is factory reset, a big pop noise occurs at the same time as the playback starts.
Not improved.

5. On rare occasions, when DSD is played after the PrE <> DAC switching operation, a large pop or noise occurs for a moment when the song starts playing.
Not improved.

6. In rare cases, when switching songs to PCM <> DSD, continuous noise is played at high volume.
Not improved.

7. It reacts to the remote controls of other companies.
It was improved.
Previously, the E30 also responded when operating the SMSL or SONY remote control nearby.

Although 1 was the biggest problem, it has been completely improved, and now you can purchase E30 with confidence. However, many ASR members have reported that the DSD2.8 problem has not occurred, and it is possible that the improved E30 is already on the market. Problems 3 to 6 in the back are minor defects, and I think they will be further improved in the future.

From the explanation of Topping so far, it seems that the problem of E30 this time is due to the program written in the MCU (Micro Control Unit).
The MCU is an IC that controls all the operations of the DAC. In the E30, STM8S005C6T6 from STMicro is used as the MCU.
The program is written in the EEPROM inside the MCU chip. I imagine that Topping rewrites the program by connecting a special tool to the board. Now you can understand what Topping said that if you send your E30 to China, we'll fix it and send it back immediately.

Attachments

• IMG_0536c.jpg
    IMG_0536c.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 9,733

mykeldg

I experienced it when hitting play/pause and more detrimentally between every track when playing via spotify connect using volumio. Recently (in the last week) the spotify connect plugin was upgraded to handle gapless playback. (big shout out to Ash for fixing that) The switch to gapless has entirely solved for the between tracks issue and I've since decided to keep my E30 and return my D50s.
I know this is not the forum for this question but did you subjectively prefer the E30 sound vs the d50s?

Illtrick

I know this is not the forum for this question but did you subjectively prefer the E30 sound vs the d50s?
I demo'd each for couple of weeks, swapping back and forth every day or so, and honestly if there's a sonic difference I wasn't able to tell for sure. Bottom line for me came down to the money savings and removal of a bluetooth behavior I disliked (always discoverable regardless of input source vs only discoverable when source selected). Wish list for the E30: auto off of display, standard usb power port (not barrel connector) so the threat of losing that wire is lower.

Jarrett

What does the auto power on & off setting do? It's not really explained in the manual.

Illtrick

What does the auto power on & off setting do? It's not really explained in the manual.
It's effectively "standby" mode. When signal is present it powers on, after a delay without signal it powers off.

Jarrett

Ohhh ok, I've never seen it go off attached to my computer (which is good).

Last edited:

dudodelmundo

Has firmeware update also to be done in a linux environment? If so, is it possible to do with a linux or do i need to look for a windows machine? Thx.

Illtrick

Has firmeware update also to be done in a linux environment? If so, is it possible to do with a linux or do i need to look for a windows machine? Thx.
Windows only for the update.

mykeldg

I demo'd each for couple of weeks, swapping back and forth every day or so, and honestly if there's a sonic difference I wasn't able to tell for sure. Bottom line for me came down to the money savings and removal of a bluetooth behavior I disliked (always discoverable regardless of input source vs only discoverable when source selected). Wish list for the E30: auto off of display, standard usb power port (not barrel connector) so the threat of losing that wire is lower.
thanks. that's great then if a dac half the price subjectively sounds virtually identical. Already placed an order for the e30. I also sold my d50s previously because I found same-priced multibit dac more enjoyable even though they measure poorly. Now the E30 is cheap enough to keep around if I want something clean and precise.

Illtrick

thanks. that's great then if a dac half the price subjectively sounds virtually identical. Already placed an order for the e30. I also sold my d50s previously because I found same-priced multibit dac more enjoyable even though they measure poorly. Now the E30 is cheap enough to keep around if I want something clean and precise.
I personally think we're entering the maturity phase of the DAC product life cycle. Most all of the DACs made in the last 10 years won't measure up against what's being made for a fraction of the price this year or next year.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't really trust Youtuber information. If you have any doubts, you should try and see for yourself. I always do so.
There are various types of PCs. Of course, the quality is also different. Therefore, amirm's report is based on amirm's environmental conditions and is not guaranteed in all environments. In particular, gaming PCs tend to be noisy. I think I need to understand that.
I have pretty much beefy gaming pc with extreme overclock, coil whine and all yet my internal soundcard completely 0 noise at max gain and volume which has pretty strong amp. Tried with both 30ohm and 250ohm headphones. If internal soundcard is noise free like this, every external dac should be completely silent.

Father O'Blivion

My first post, and first order of business is a big "thank you!' for all the testing and insight here! Based on testing results and price, I ordered an E30 Sunday evening. Shipped from Shenzhen (city in China, not the retailer oft mentioned here) Monday, and arrived at my door (California) 10 minutes ago! Didn't expect that in these times, especially with free shipping! Anyway, gonna hook it up and run it through its paces shortly. Will report back any issues (hopefully none!) and firmware it shipped with, etc.

Last edited:

aabman

My E30 arrived yesterday too. The firmware was 1.06 and I updated it to 1.07 immediately. Hooked up with my audio gear, E30 sang quite impressive and had no 'pop' sound issue. Sound wise is excellent regarding it's cost with wonderful sound stage & a bit warm middle-high. Thanks all for the information and advice.

aabman

BTW, it sounds very nature when fed with DSD64 directly without issues. Very enjoyable DAC at such low cost. What a pitty that we can't replace the OP amp as D10.

Top Bottom