• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

mslim

I report the result of examining the symptom that sound is interrupted many times by DSD2.8 (DSD64) of Topping E30. The E30 has been powered on for over 120 hours since it arrived.

Audio breaks up repeatedly during playback

When playing in "Pre mode", the audio output is dropped many times.
When the sound is cut off, the display changes momentarily from "-00.0DSD" to "2.82DSD" and then returns to "-00.0DSD". Sometimes "Error" is also displayed. Symptoms occur continuously or randomly.

In "DAC mode", if the audio is disconnected, the display of "2.82DSD" will be switched to "Error" for a moment. Repeat this continuously or randomly.

These symptoms are quite whimsical, often occurring or working properly for hours. It is not constant.
If the display blinks for a moment even if you do not feel any symptoms, an abnormality has occurred. Anyway, the symptoms are not constant.
This sound is similar to the sound of playing a CD with lots of scratches.

The remote control operates abnormally when playing DSD2.8.
Pressing the volume UP-DOWN button on the remote control while -0.00.0dB DSD is displayed on the display will display 2.82DSD or Error. Also, when you press FIR, AUTO, or DIMMER, unrelated displays appear and you cannot operate smoothly.

If you operate the SMSL remote control near the E30, the display will be distorted or the sound will be cut off in response to this. I can't imagine such a reaction

In addition, when the song to be played is switched to PCM <> DSD, or when the DSD is played after resetting to the factory default settings, occasional loud noise may occur.

So far, all playbacks except DSD2.8 (DSD64) are normal. Abnormal behavior occurs only with DSD2.8.
However, room temperature may also be related to the onset of symptoms. This is because in the morning when it is cold, there are few symptoms.
But I don't know if this problem is common to all E30s or if it's just my E30.
I'll report to Topping if I can sort out the situation a little more.

I have two Windows PCs. The system configuration is
Windows10 Pro + core i7 + 16GB + 1TB SSD and
Windows10 Pro + core i9 + 16Gb + 500GB SSD.
The audio player uses foober2000 and Tunebrowserw.
The output mode uses ASIO (Native).
The production lot number of E30 is 1911 *******.

As a measure, I will stop using DSD2.8 for the time being.
After connecting the E30 to the SMSL SA300 purchased the other day, a super small audio system with high sound quality was completed.

sorry. As always, my English may be a bit strange.
And I may not be able to express what I want to tell you.

No one has answered this. Does power recycling the DAC help? Sync issue?

mslim

A90 has both balanced input and outputs. L30 is RCA input and 6.35mm output. A50s is RCA input with 6.35mm and 4.4mm balanced out. L30 is essentially the unbalanced and smaller version of A90. A50s is a less powerful circuitry but still has a lot of power with balanced out. L30 has same preamp function as Atom. All have extremely low noise and extremely good 50mV SNR performance

It will beat JDS Lab Atom on performance? I don't mind a bit more expensive for a metal case.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It will beat JDS Lab Atom on performance? I don't mind a bit more expensive for a metal case.
Both will beat Atom big time, THX as well. Some performance won't even show on an AP. The noise on AP is too high.

mslim

Both will beat Atom big time, THX as well. Some performance won't even show on an AP. The noise on AP is too high.

looking forward to it. So I guess no problem powering something like the Fostex T50RP then.

Toku

Major Contributor
No one has answered this. Does power recycling the DAC help? Sync issue?
It is usual that there is no response from members. I do not care.
Members are likely to be interested in other topics.

I think there is a problem with the firmware of E30 itself.
But the sound of the E30 is great. I don't think it's a $130 DAC.

This problem has already been reported to Toppng.

Last edited:

yodog

It is usual that there is no response from members. I do not care.
Members are likely to be interested in other topics.

I think there is a problem with the firmware of E30 itself.
But the sound of the E30 is great. I don't think it's a $130 DAC.

This problem has already been reported to Toppng.

please report back if you hear word of them implementing a fix of some sort.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm sure it is. In fact I'm sure both of his replies were sarcastic. He thinks if you can't measure it then you can't hear it and therefore it never happened. When he hears a component actually break-in, I wonder how he'll explain it.

Assume that a listener insists he has a "broken in" component. We then measure it on the bench, along with a new one straight out of the box, and verify that there is no measurable difference. Then, we have that listener do an ABX comparison of those two components in a fixed system.

If said listener cannot detect the difference to a statistically significant degree, then there is no "break in" other than that in said listener's brain.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anybody using an E30 with a Magni 3?

I love my Magni 3 Heresy but hate that scratchy volume pot. I bought an earlier iteration of the Magni to use with my D30 and returned it solely due to that, but decided to give the Heresy a shot after reading so many rave reviews. Try as I might to accept it, the volume pot noise still drives me nuts.

My original thought was to simply run the Magni 3 with the pot at full volume and use the digital volume on the E30, but then I read about the pops and clicks, and wondered if I would just be trading one frustration for another, maybe?

yodog

three days burn in (spare me any opinions on burn in, I don't wish to debate and reporting for the benefit of others). Became just a hair smoother...but note
Anybody using an E30 with a Magni 3?

I love my Magni 3 Heresy but hate that scratchy volume pot. I bought an earlier iteration of the Magni to use with my D30 and returned it solely due to that, but decided to give the Heresy a shot after reading so many rave reviews. Try as I might to accept it, the volume pot noise still drives me nuts.

My original thought was to simply run the Magni 3 with the pot at full volume and use the digital volume on the E30, but then I read about the pops and clicks, and wondered if I would just be trading one frustration for another, maybe?

I would ditch the Magni

Swoof

Just got mine from Apos yesterday. Unfortunately seems to be DOA. Can't get any sound with USB sources, either from win10 laptop or Android phones. I tried optical out from TV, I am able to get sound out but it introduced a horrible buzzing noise. Looks like a great little unit though, I was excited about the pre amp functionality, hope Apos returns go smoothly.

yodog

Just got mine from Apos yesterday. Unfortunately seems to be DOA. Can't get any sound with USB sources, either from win10 laptop or Android phones. I tried optical out from TV, I am able to get sound out but it introduced a horrible buzzing noise. Looks like a great little unit though, I was excited about the pre amp functionality, hope Apos returns go smoothly.

let me know how the return process goes as I myself bought a D50S from Apos 2 weeks ago and the tracking has yet to update again except for it saying it’s registered and in Hong Kong. They told me I can’t cancel my order and they can’t even give me any definitive date on when I’ll be getting my DAC. Regardless I am pretty sure I want to return the D50S and buy this new E30....

what’s weird is.. they said if I purchase an E30 right now they will upgrade the shipping speed on both the E30 and my D50S, as if they know it’s lost already and they are going to ship me a new one, yet I can’t cancel the order and they can’t tell me when I’ll receive it or why my tracking information has not yet updated since March 28th.... I hope they don’t give me a hassle with returning the D50S....

peanuts

christ how bad smsl and toppings reliability is. you know its true.

yodog

I just placed an order for an E30 DAC in black via Apos. Will report back with my impressions and any issues if I encounter any.

Toku

Major Contributor
FWIW, I've used my E30 non stop since Mar. 30 ..... no issues to report. All of my FLAC and DSD files are playing flawlessly, High rez and 16/44 all just fine.

Couldn't say the same for my DX3 Pro I bought when they forst came out and then went pop one day later in the HP section. I still use it as a DAC and it works fine.
Sorry, please tell me the first four digits of your E30 serial number.
The serial number is printed on a white sticker on the side of E30. Feg. 1911 *********

Jimmy

Any equipment can fail, I've had audio products last more than 20 years and still rocking, and others regardless of brand that bit the dust in months or came DOA. Regarding Topping, my D30 just died a few weeks ago (it started to distort badly on all inputs), what counts here is the warranty, and the shipping costs when buying from foreign countries, which means that for cheap products it's usally non economical to ship them back for repairs.

christ how bad smsl and toppings reliability is. you know its true.

Toku

Major Contributor
Any equipment can fail, I've had audio products last more than 20 years and still rocking, and others regardless of brand that bit the dust in months or came DOA. Regarding Topping, my D30 just died a few weeks ago (it started to distort badly on all inputs), what counts here is the warranty, and the shipping costs when buying from foreign countries, which means that for cheap products it's usally non economical to ship them back for repairs.
When I reported the abnormal operation of my E30 to Topping, I received the following email.
However, it states that I have to pay for shipping to China. While shipping costs from China to Japan are kept low by the International Postal Union, conversely, you need to pay several times the cost of shipping from Japan to China. It's ridiculous to pay another $ 30 for returning a $ 130 item.
-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
Thank you for contacting TOPPING support.We are happy to assist.

For your situation, we think the unit was defective and need to be sent back to China for repair.Would you mind sending back to China for repairing?

Let me tell you the process first.You need to provide the serial number for us to open a case.The you can send out the package at your convenience. (Just send the unit itself would be ok.) When you made the shipment, pls let us know the tracking # .After we repair, we will return it to you.

Since it is under warranty, each shipment cost should be paid by the sender.

Pls let us know your comments.

Best Regards,
-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

unix

Ordered one based on this review 2 weeks ago from Shenzen Audio on Amazon UK. Expected delivery was mid May so really surprised it arrived after just 11 days. Paired with a Schiit Magni Heresy into a Power Amp.

Sounds as good as when I ran it through a Mytek Brooklyn+. Really impressed so far.

Vantavimeow

Ordered one based on this review 2 weeks ago from Shenzen Audio on Amazon UK. Expected delivery was mid May so really surprised it arrived after just 11 days. Paired with a Schiit Magni Heresy into a Power Amp.

Sounds as good as when I ran it through a Mytek Brooklyn+. Really impressed so far.

Did you get charged import duty? I've been too scared to risk it as it's not very clear. Do you think they actually posted it from china?

unix

Did you get charged import duty? I've been too scared to risk it as it's not very clear. Do you think they actually posted it from china?

There were no import charges. I believe it's covered as it was shipped by 4PX in China then handed over to Hermes and when it was delivered it had a Hermes UK Shipping label.

Top Bottom