• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

bequietjk

I love the look of this dac. Very discreet and can sneak it's way into even the mightiest of sound systems!

Can this also be used as a spdif converter?

Jstutman

Forum Donor
I'm actually waiting for this one. I currently have the D10 and this dac actually looks like a upgrade from the D10. Plus, I keep having to unplug the D10 as it resets and goes to a blank screen so I can fix that by replacing it with a better dac. Lol

YoniV

I'm a little puzzled by the THD+N vs frequency: in most if not all cases (I encountered at least) where ultrasonic noise causes deterioration in this plot, it is frequency dependent (e.g. KTB, Topping d50s), causing the graph to slope at high frequencies.
Why only here it is frequency independent? It makes me wonder if it's not just genuinely higher THD+N.
Also, being constant means you cannot deduce from it the "expected audible THD+N". I mean, maybe I'm mistaken, but for e.g. d50s I would roughly estimate it to be ~0.0004% across the audible spectrum, assuming that ultrasonics is the only thing responsible for the positive slope.

Any thoughts?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I usually check the inside... I have one bluetooth receiver that takes the analog from the BT chip and feeds to an ADC for the SPDIF out.
Yikes, yes, this is my concern. While Bluetooth is already lossy I would prefer not to further degrade the signal with conversions before sending it to a DAC.

If Topping could put this DAC inside of their MX3 and upgrade the amplifier section they'd have a real monster on their hands.

Last edited:

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Yikes, yes, this is my concern. While Bluetooth is already lossless I would prefer not to further degrade the signal with conversions before sending it to a DAC.

If Topping could put this DAC inside of their MX3 and upgrade the amplifier section they'd have a real monster on their hands.
Bluetooth lossless?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good DACs these days are dime a dozen IMO. Although am curious on pricing.
DACs that measure well for under $130, not as common as you'd think. If by "Good" DAC you mean anything that sounds as good as a $10 Apple dongle, then I agree. I think people are just impressed at the measurements, which requires a bit of engineering effort (whether you can hear these efforts is a whole other discussion)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great low cost option for entry level DACs, good job Topping. Hey @JohnYang1997, let Topping know there is some interest in an E10 interface, with USB in and SPDIF/I2S/AES out :)
YES to AES out. Although Singxer has a $429 adapter that converts USB digital into AES, SPDIF and IS2:
https://apos.audio/collections/brand-spotlight-singxer/products/singxer-su-2-usb-digital-interface
Annotation 2020-03-20 122230.png

Jarrett

E series seems to be replacement for D series. Better performance for similar price.

Makes sense, maybe.

Is the move to AKM part of the E series line? Are the latest 4.82 drivers also compatible?

Last edited:

TP-Wong

Audio Company
What's the difference between D series and E series?

This is the decision for future product diversification.
We hope that the E series will pay more attention to compactness and cost performance. Future D series will pay more attention to specialization.
This will be a relatively long process. After the E series has more models and some existing models of the D series are updated, the differences between the two product lines can be clearly seen.

Top Bottom