• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Pulkass

Using USB on a PC to E30 this is the way I set it up and the easiest with the minimum plugins and config you needed to get/do. Works great for playing Native up to DSD512 which should cover all your needs. (If you really need DSD1024 then you can config/use the DSD Processor plugin to convert it to DSD512 or lower to play). Do not follow/use the stuff included w/ Topping driver (outdated old stuff).

0. Install latest Topping ASIO driver.
1. Get 2 plugin and install: foo_input_sacd(foo_input_sacd.fb2k-component), foo_out_asio+dsd(foo_out_asio+dsd.fb2k-component) from https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/
2. Select the "ASIO+DSD: Topping USB Audio Device" as Output Device.
3. In Tools/SACD tab: Select either DSD or DSD+PCM as Output(Per Device) type at the top. Both works the same in native DSD (w/ only difference you can see the visualization stuff working if you select DSD+PCM). No need to select/config DSD Processor (unless you need to play DSD1024).
That is all you need. No need to config any conversion/transcoding as you want Native DSD only (no DoP or PCM conversion) for the best compatibility.
4. To confirm it is indeed playing in DSD mode and the intended sampling rates open the Topping Driver control panel and confirm w/ the ASIO Status screen while playing.
(included some screen shots below)

View attachment 237772

View attachment 237773

View attachment 237774

I don t have dsd processor and resampler as per your screen shots, and there is no way to download them, I found the way to get to the Tools subfolder anyway, for dummies ahahahahhahahaha thanks

nsfgp

I don t have dsd processor and resampler as per your screen shots, and there is no way to download them, I found the way to get to the Tools subfolder anyway, for dummies ahahahahhahahaha thanks
Sure you do have ASIO driver get it here in the driver tab: https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/789.html
Topping/SMSL/etc. all use/adapt driver from the OEM Thesycon driver.

I do not need both (dsd processor/resampler) ... there were installed at one point only for testing/working with other prior test setup I had. I never used them anymore.
As I said you would need dsd processor if you need anything more than DSD512 that the E30 can handle. Else no need.
YOu need the resampler only for PCM resampling if you need anything more than PCM768 with the E30.
(BTW, the dsd processor plug in is included in the same download for foo_input_sacd. There are many PCM resampler available SRC is just one of them I tried: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,115316)

Last edited:

Pulkass

Thanks for your kind help and attention, here s my Foobar screen shots. I do not have DSD processor !!! told ya it s very complicated eheheheheh Superaudio cd can t be configur
foobar mine 1.jpg
ed by the way.........
foobar mine 2.jpg
foobar mine 3.jpg
foobar mine 4.jpg

nsfgp

@Pulkass You do NOT need the DSD processor component. Your DAC can do DSD512 Native. I also told you DSD processor is needed ONLY if you need to do DSD1024. I do not see any need for it other than testing purpose only.
I already told you where to find that plug in if you do want to install it.
Make a new cup of coffee and relax. Re-read what I said above. You will figure it out.
You config looks good to me - the only change you should do is select 32bit in the Output Data Format box (your last screen) . You should be able to play any DSD file up to DSD512. Have you tried playing any DSD files yet?
Have fun.

Pulkass

Your kindness and your words move me !!!! From Far away !!! Thanks. I should have some DSD files somewhere in my puter. Unfortunately 2L does not give them free anymore.

MLaranjeiras

Any track from album "Page One" by Joe Henderson:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/77609767
  • Played on mConnect app, it shows 48kHz FLAC MQA 192kHz.
  • When renderer is a MQA capable device (LG G7 smartphone), uapp shows 192kHz MQA FLAC: 192kHZ
  • When renderer is my Android Box running UAPP feeding E30 by USB, the app shows 96kHz MQA FLAC: 192kHZ, and E30 display shows 96kHz PCM
  • When renderer is my Android Box running Neutron feeding E30 by USB, the app shows MQA 192kHZ, and E30 display shows 192kHz PCM
The source is always Tidal/mConnect app streaming via UPNP. It seems that Neutron is doing the MQA double unfolding and converting to PCM before sending the bitstream to E30...

View attachment 86664View attachment 86665
Hey, JB Filho (você é do Brasil?) I own an ASUS smartphone and use mconnect on it. It always shows a maximum of FLAC 48/24 for TIDAL MQA tracks, including the occasional MQA 384/24 ones. Do you know if in October 2022 they would have smartphones that recognize and unfold the MQA, according to the screens you presented? cheers.

Malfunction

Hi everyone,

A few days ago I bought an E30 and L30 secondhand and made the same mistake as many others apparently made, I accidentally connected the 15v adaptor of the L30 to the E30…
I haven’t even had the chance to use it at home!

I opened it up (since the warranty was already expired) and wanted to fix it myself but I hope I can get some help over here.
I noticed a diode was blown up, but I really don’t want to just guess which type it is, can someone help me out?

The code on the diode says SL, but I’m having a hard time to find some consistent results.

Thanks in advance!

(I already removed the diode from the pcb in the picture)

Attachments

• 74E8DC68-C7AA-46A7-A125-13209B140212.jpeg
    74E8DC68-C7AA-46A7-A125-13209B140212.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 160

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow… that’s too bad. You’d think the different voltages would have different sized plugs

gvl

Major Contributor
In the world where 90% of external adapters with incompatible voltages use the ubiquitous 5.5mm barrel connector every device that uses such a connector must have some sort of protection built in. Sadly Topping doesn't realize that or their protection circuit is weak.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the world where 90% of external adapters with incompatible voltages use the ubiquitous 5.5mm barrel connector every device that uses such a connector must have some sort of protection built in. Sadly Topping doesn't realize that or their protection circuit is weak.
Older revisions don't have sufficient protection, but newer ones improved that and should protect against 15 V AC at least, specifically because of L30's transformer.

Trell

Major Contributor
Older revisions don't have sufficient protection, but newer ones improved that and should protect against 15 V AC at least, specifically because of L30's transformer.

Instead of churning out so many new products all the time perhaps Topping could spend a little more time on things like these, especially for products intended to be used as combos. This is in part of why I'm sceptical of Topping products.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Instead of churning out so many new products all the time perhaps Topping could spend a little more time on things like these, especially for products intended to be used as combos. This is in part of why I'm sceptical of Topping products.
This is not aimed specifically at you, but in general at everyone who has bought or wants to buy an audio device with a Brick.

The most important point is the decision to buy such a device with an external transformer or power pack.
Of course, it's cheaper for the buyer because it's also cheaper for the manufacturer.
Smaller housing, less assembly and assembly effort, less development effort, much less effort and costs for approvals and certificates, cheaper power supplies, etc.
Of course, the buyer also assumes the responsibility of operating the device as intended by the manufacturer and only plugging in the original or correct power supply.
The voltage is on the back of the socket on each of the devices. Think 5 seconds and plug in the right plug and there will be no problems.
If you put the wrong fuel in your car, or take the wrong amount of pills, you can't blame anyone else, so why here?

Of course, a manufacturer can catch these errors, but then the development becomes more expensive and the actual basic idea (low costs for all sides) is undermined. Then the user should use a device with a built-in power supply unit, where such a problem cannot occur.

The actual error arose well over 40 years ago when the industry failed to create a standard for barrel connectors with different voltages.
This type of connector is used in tens of thousands of devices. Notebooks, computers and various accessories, desktop boxes of all kinds, hard drives, cordless devices (vacuum cleaners, cordless screwdrivers, gardening tools, kitchen appliances, tools, etc.), chargers, audio of all kinds, lighting, etc.
With AC voltages up to 25 volts and DC voltages up to at least 48 volts. Hardly any of these devices is really protected against user errors. And I've seen many smoked because the wrong transformer or the wrong power supply was plugged in.

And be careful if you don't use the original power supply. In addition to the correct voltage for AC or DC, you must also pay attention to the correct polarity. There are devices and power supplies where the positive voltage is applied to the barrel connector on the outside and the negative voltage to the inner conductor.

@all manufacturers
Provide your customers with simple assistance in replacing defective components in the event of damage. That would be the least thanks and respect for the purchase.

Trell

Major Contributor
This is not aimed specifically at you, but in general at everyone who has bought or wants to buy an audio device with a Brick.

The most important point is the decision to buy such a device with an external transformer or power pack.
Of course, it's cheaper for the buyer because it's also cheaper for the manufacturer.
Smaller housing, less assembly and assembly effort, less development effort, much less effort and costs for approvals and certificates, cheaper power supplies, etc.
Of course, the buyer also assumes the responsibility of operating the device as intended by the manufacturer and only plugging in the original or correct power supply.
The voltage is on the back of the socket on each of the devices. Think 5 seconds and plug in the right plug and there will be no problems.
If you put the wrong fuel in your car, or take the wrong amount of pills, you can't blame anyone else, so why here?

Of course, a manufacturer can catch these errors, but then the development becomes more expensive and the actual basic idea (low costs for all sides) is undermined. Then the user should use a device with a built-in power supply unit, where such a problem cannot occur.

The actual error arose well over 40 years ago when the industry failed to create a standard for barrel connectors with different voltages.
This type of connector is used in tens of thousands of devices. Notebooks, computers and various accessories, desktop boxes of all kinds, hard drives, cordless devices (vacuum cleaners, cordless screwdrivers, gardening tools, kitchen appliances, tools, etc.), chargers, audio of all kinds, lighting, etc.
With AC voltages up to 25 volts and DC voltages up to at least 48 volts. Hardly any of these devices is really protected against user errors. And I've seen many smoked because the wrong transformer or the wrong power supply was plugged in.

And be careful if you don't use the original power supply. In addition to the correct voltage for AC or DC, you must also pay attention to the correct polarity. There are devices and power supplies where the positive voltage is applied to the barrel connector on the outside and the negative voltage to the inner conductor.

@all manufacturers
Provide your customers with simple assistance in replacing defective components in the event of damage. That would be the least thanks and respect for the purchase.

Here is a picture from a review of Topping E30 II and L30 II that is intended by the manufacturer to be used as a combo DAC/HP amp. What could easily go wrong here? A number of owners have found that out that the hard way.

1669297431293.png

Below is two devices from RME that I have on my desktop that is stacked on top of each other. RME uses 12V for their external power bricks. Have a look at the voltage range as well as the lockable power plug. Which is the better design for safety, do you think?

1669297802352.png
1669297733838.png

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Please do not be angry with me, but it seems to me that you have not read or considered my text completely.

I understand you completely, but the problem is not solved with your RME devices.
What if someone still has a professional switch, MiniPC, charger for their cordless screwdriver or power supply for their Aiyima A7 amplifier on their desk?
What happens to your RME devices when you plug in one of these 5.5mm plugs with 24, 36 or 48 volts?

Trell

Major Contributor
Please do not be angry with me, but it seems to me that you have not read or considered my text completely.

I understand you completely, but the problem is not solved with your RME devices.
What if someone still has a professional switch, MiniPC, charger for their cordless screwdriver or power supply for their Aiyima A7 amplifier on their desk?
What happens to your RME devices when you plug in one of these 5.5mm plugs with 24, 36 or 48 volts?
I’m not angry with you at all, and I’m sorry if I gave you that impression.

What I find very unfortunate it’s that Topping sells a combo where the two devices have very different input power, and a simple mistake will destroy one of them.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Here is a picture from a review of Topping E30 II and L30 II that is intended by the manufacturer to be used as a combo DAC/HP amp. What could easily go wrong here? A number of owners have found that out that the hard way.
It's a depressingly common scenario with IT hardware too. Thin clients some of which need 12V and others 19V but all using 2.5mm pin barrel jacks. Small network switches in near identical enclosures with identical barrel jacks, but taking 5V, 12V or 48V depending on model. Still at least it's easy to get replacement connectors, unlike when they go with something proprietary.

Mike-48

It is worth investing in a label-making machine and labeling the cables just behind the barrel connectors.

I have labeled all the bricks in my set of audio and IT devices, but it's easy to see how such an error could occur with the two Topping units.

I would call it both user error and bad design. It's not good engineering to make an error so easy to commit and its consequences so severe. Because of user errors in automobiles, controls are (somewhat) standardizef, and we have seat belts and airbags to protect the errant driver.

Top Bottom