• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Toku

Major Contributor
OK, E30 owners -- mine just went dead. It lights up with an ominous "E - d" on the display and does not respond to the power button or the remote. Any idea what this might be -- and is there a remedy other than sending it back to the seller and hoping for warranty coverage?
Since the error code is private, the only way is to visit Topping.
If it cannot be restored even after unplugging the power plug and leaving it for about 2 hours, or if the factory default reset operation described in the user manual cannot be performed, it is a complete failure.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Since the error code is private, the only way is to visit Topping.
If it cannot be restored even after unplugging the power plug and leaving it for about 2 hours, or if the factory default reset operation described in the user manual cannot be performed, it is a complete failure.

Yup, and that's what it is. :rolleyes:

Fawzay

I just received news regarding the Topping E30 v2

Fawzay

I still haven't "received news regarding" my broken E30. :facepalm:
dang... but here's the pic...
look the same tho...
still don't know about the specs....

Attachments

• 294310744_5668821183128694_3950972118544934892_n.jpg
    294310744_5668821183128694_3950972118544934892_n.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138

Toku

Major Contributor
dang... but here's the pic...
look the same tho...
still don't know about the specs....
If the E30 ll goes on sale, I think it's because the DAC chip has changed.
AKM has remodeled the AK4493 to the AK4493s.

I wonder if this Mk II model solves the SP/DIF input issues ?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Should (t)here be a knowledgeable & merciful soul to answer my simple question:
do I need to fix anything for my Topping E30 serial no. 2101... used exclusively for music streaming by phone via USB OTG (so no PC/laptop) ?
Thanks.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Should (t)here be a knowledgeable & merciful soul to answer my simple question:
do I need to fix anything for my Topping E30 serial no. 2101... used exclusively for music streaming by phone via USB OTG (so no PC/laptop) ?
Thanks.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? :)

Toku

Major Contributor
I wonder if this Mk II model solves the SP/DIF input issues ?
The digital audio transceiver was changed from AK4118 to CS8416 in the wake of the AKM fire accident.
From this time on, S/PDIF connection failure began to be said, but I do not know if it will return to AK4118 again with this E30 ll.

Overseas

Major Contributor
The digital audio transceiver was changed from AK4118 to CS8416 in the wake of the AKM fire accident.
From this time on, S/PDIF connection failure began to be said, but I do not know if it will return to AK4118 again with this E30 ll.
Is this discussion about the coax output possible failure or else ?

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

lpdot

My apologies if this topic has already been covered before.

I have an E30 connected to a Bluesound Node via USB. The E30 is in DAC mode. The Node recognizes E30 - I can select it as an output, and all plays fine.

However, I can control the volume in the BluOS app: change, mute, set min / max level. Is this expected?

My understanding was, that with an external DAC the Node will act as just a pass through and not process the signal in any way.

Before the Node I had a Raspberry-based Volumio set up and noticed that despite the E30 being in DAC mode, Volumio too was able to control volume. Setting the mixer to 'none' (vs. hardware and software options) never survived RPi reboot and the mixer reverted to 'hardware' every time.

Based on these similar experiences I conclude that E30 is the culprit.

Would appreciate any insights into the issue. Thanks!

tcli

My understanding was, that with an external DAC the Node will act as just a pass through and not process the signal in any way.
That's true for SPDI/F but the XMOS firmware expose to USB a DAC with volume. So I suppose this volume is done by the XMOS.
As you have a raspy you could see and control it with the command :
alsamixer -c E30

lpdot

That's true for SPDI/F but the XMOS firmware expose to USB a DAC with volume. So I suppose this volume is done by the XMOS.
As you have a raspy you could see and control it with the command :
alsamixer -c E30
Thank you very much. Unfortunately, I don't have the E30 connected to the RPi anymore, but I'll try to set it up again and check.

geopapa

My apologies if this topic has already been covered before.

I have an E30 connected to a Bluesound Node via USB. The E30 is in DAC mode. The Node recognizes E30 - I can select it as an output, and all plays fine.

However, I can control the volume in the BluOS app: change, mute, set min / max level. Is this expected?

Before the Node I had a Raspberry-based Volumio set up and noticed that despite the E30 being in DAC mode, Volumio too was able to control volume. Setting the mixer to 'none' (vs. hardware and software options) never survived RPi reboot and the mixer reverted to 'hardware' every time.

Based on these similar experiences I conclude that E30 is the culprit.

Would appreciate any insights into the issue. Thanks!
I have a Chromecast audio connected to the E30 via optical and I'm still able to control the volume from my phone (while E30 in DAC mode). I guess there's a digital attenuation applied from the chromecast side just as your bluesound applies digital attenuation in its usb out. Only in DSD mode no attenuation is permitted and you should always have your Foobar2000 (PC) or other app in full volume to work.

Last edited:

lpdot

I have a Chromecast audio connected to the E30 via optical and I'm still able to control the volume from my phone (while E30 in DAC mode). I guess there's a digital attenuation applied from the chromecast side just as your bluesound applies digital attenuation in its usb out. Only in DSD mode no attenuation is permitted and you should always have your Foobar2000 (PC) or other app in full volume to work.
I have tried optical from the Node to E30 - this setup allows enabling the fixed output mode in the BluOS app. It's the USB specifically, which provides no option for a fixed output.

So, I guess it's just how E30 is designed - it would advertise its volume control to devices capable of understanding that. And DAC mode would just lock the volume for the Topping's remote.

P.S. I tested another USB DAC: the CA DacMagic XS. Same thing - Node can control the volume. But then again, the XS is a pre-amp as well.

UPD: found a thread in Bluesound support forums with multiple reports of the Node not enabling fixed output for various external DACs, including E30. Supposedly, it's caused by the Node's Linux-based OS (which is plausible as I've seen similar behaviour with the Volumio / E30 setup).

Last edited:
Top Bottom