• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Jarrett

It's not even an issue. You guys are focusing on microscopic problems, which is deterring people from buying it.

Last edited:

bboris77

I really hope this is firmware fixable as it would be unfortunate to have to recall the already issued units.

I agree that it is difficult to hear the difference between the two polarities, but there is an audible difference nevertheless. I have owned a DAC with a polarity switch and on some songs the difference was more pronounced than the others. It is just as noticeable as the difference between various filter choices on AKM or ESS DACs.

I own the D70 which does not have this issue, but if it did, I would not be happy with having to invert in the digital domain. Especially for using it with non-PC sources, like the PS4 Pro for example, which does not have the option of inverting the polarity.

Ultimately though, Topping has made its name by creating products that are properly engineered, measure great and sound good. Leaving this bug unfixed is not an option for a company of this reputation. It is great that a Topping rep is active on these forums, and I am expecting that they will be able to provide a fix one way or another.

In terms of people/competitors taking shots at Topping products and nitpicking about various things - I don't see this a bad thing necessarily. Firstly, it attests to the fact that Topping is officially in the big leagues now where people see them as a legitimate competitor. Secondly, if Topping internalizes this criticism properly, it can actually help improve their processes and products. Look what happened to Schiit as a result of all the ASR attention - they are producing even better sounding (and measuring) products now.

Edit: JohnYang1997 said that a firmware fix will be provided while I was typing this. Awesome customer support!

Pimmsley

It's not even an issue. You guys are focusing on microscopic problems, which is deterring people from buying it.

Fwiw,
If you understood the efforts and pain most audio engineers and particularly mastering engineers go through to ensure phase correctness through the production process to get the product to you intact, it would explain partially why although inaudible it's a technical problem that could effect an additional process.

For example If i was asked to produce a reel to reel tape for cutting a vinyl record master and used the E30 as the final digital to analogue stage feeding the tape machine the signals on that tape would be inverted... therefore any master cutting of that tape would be reversed, that could be a real problem...
Im not suggesting E30 DAC's are designed for pro audio or that type of use case, but I am in deed using it or was planning to for home use recording to reel to reel or analogue capture of something as the specs are so good and if the polarity is correct at the output then it's a perfect use as I can cofirm the sample rate on the screen, set levels and forget the rest...

A firmware fix would be the perfect outcome

Jarrett

Is anyone familiar with jriver? Is the "reverse the polarity of this speaker" option under DSP / Room Correction the right fix? (Maybe not - it sounds strange when ticked :D)

I'm all for the fix if it's nothing to put out, just don't want this to become a thread of bad press for the product.

facboy

Is anyone familiar with jriver? Is the "reverse the polarity of this speaker" option under DSP / Room Correction the right fix? (Maybe not - it sounds strange when ticked :D)

I'm all for the fix if it's nothing to put out, just don't want this to become a thread of bad press for the product.

It can be addressed for Windows DirectSound with Equalizer APO: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-topping-d10-easy-way-to-check-and-fix.11791/

Obviously not a solution for ASIO, WASAPI, or non-Windows devices.

PyramidElectric

Firmware cannot be updated using MAC.
Complain to Apple.
Is it Apple's fault that Topping sold me a DAC with inverted polarity?
Thousands of companies write firmware updates for both PC and Mac, Topping could do this, but they are choosing not too, that is not Apple's problem. A fix for only PC users is not a fix.

mykeldg

Thousands of companies write firmware updates for both PC and Mac, Topping could do this, but they are choosing not too, that is not Apple's problem. A fix for only PC users is not a fix.
try a windows virtual machine or borrow a windows laptop. its rather quick and will only take 2 mins.

Toku

Major Contributor
This is a guess from the information I got
XMOS DFU update tools for Topping and SMSL are provided by XMOS. Of course, you should be able to easily prepare a tool for MAC too.
But it is Apple that gives the tool permission. There is a big wall there.

Aldoszx

This is a guess from the information I got
XMOS DFU update tools for Topping and SMSL are provided by XMOS. Of course, you should be able to easily prepare a tool for MAC too.
But it is Apple that gives the tool permission. There is a big wall there.

As far as I know, Topping XMOS drivers are paid, personalized Thesycon drivers.
Thesycon provides also USB DFU tool for Windows and Mac.
I suppose Topping do not pay for both, but only for Windows tool.

Top Bottom