• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It does seem so. My only remark here is the lousy AKM digital filter. Whyyy do they make it so slow.
Oh well.

Maybe you discovered their "Velvet sound" secret sauce ;). To be honest, I wouldn't be able to hear the differences at those frequencies.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Maybe you discovered their "Velvet sound" secret sauce ;). To be honest, I wouldn't be able to hear the differences at those frequencies.
When I read the datasheet it seems that the digital filters are shared to each two sample rates. Meaning 44.1khz and 48khz use the same "slow" filter which is ok for 48khz but not 44.1khz. On the other hand, no I don't think there's big enough differences between digital filters in one of my previous experiment here in this forum where I blind tested trying to prove the difference of digital filters. I did hear a bit difference but that's tiny.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

But but but but they call him "Famous Amir Majidimehr" so it must be legit!!!!

1584627863208.png

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Objective speaking, E30 has lower distortion harmonics, similar DNR/SNR, similar noise, much better multitone performance but for a bit more expensive price. The m300 mkii is better in noise but the multitone really falls short, which is not even as good as the Sanskrit.
From other perspectives, E30 is going to be a better pair with the incoming L30 headamp. If you have the sp200 you might go with the M400 which isn't out yet. But that's a higher price bracket altogether. I like well rounded performer not good in single test but good in all of them. The distortion of sp200's XLR output is really great of -130db up to 10V with 16ohm but its noise performance can be a deal breaker for some. Also once you turn the potentiometer from 0db/maximum the distortion is highly increased due to the relatively poor voltage coefficient of the carbon taper.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Great low cost option for entry level DACs, good job Topping. Hey @JohnYang1997, let Topping know there is some interest in an E10 interface, with USB in and SPDIF/I2S/AES out :)
The update version of D10, D10s is coming out with SPDIF and COAX out. But not so much with the I^2S and the AES out. The physical dimension of AES XLR is not able to fit in those small boxes. While there's some interests, I don't see it coming in the future. But I may be wrong. We'll see.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9286

The update version of D10, D10s is coming out with SPDIF and COAX out. But not so much with the I^2S and the AES out. The physical dimension of AES XLR is not able to fit in those small boxes. While there's some interests, I don't see it coming in the future. But I may be wrong. We'll see.

Interesting thanks. So will the D10s still be usb powered and do USB to SPDIF conversion? And if so, will it support DSD over DoP? That was the only limitation of the D10 in my opinion.

VeerK

Thanks for the info on the D10s, is there any improvement in the USB to SDIF/Coax output? D10 is on sale right now on Drop, but I can wait for 10s.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Sorry, I was looking at the measurements of the first version.
Here E30 wins on linearity and multitone, while Sanskrit 10th MKII wins on THD+N vs frequency, with the rest of the measurements being more or less even. I don't think there's a clear winner.

Distortion is in E30's favor, noise isn't. That's why in linearity and multitone the E30 will come up on top.

Piotr

Objective speaking, E30 has lower distortion harmonics, similar DNR/SNR, similar noise, much better multitone performance but for a bit more expensive price. The m300 mkii is better in noise but the multitone really falls short, which is not even as good as the Sanskrit.
From other perspectives, E30 is going to be a better pair with the incoming L30 headamp. If you have the sp200 you might go with the M400 which isn't out yet. But that's a higher price bracket altogether. I like well rounded performer not good in single test but good in all of them. The distortion of sp200's XLR output is really great of -130db up to 10V with 16ohm but its noise performance can be a deal breaker for some. Also once you turn the potentiometer from 0db/maximum the distortion is highly increased due to the relatively poor voltage coefficient of the carbon taper.

I wonder why you suggest to combine m400 and sp200 while the first will have built-in amp. If you buy a combo it's usually to avoid buying a dedicated amp.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
these will sell like hot cakes!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't know about the sample rate. It doesn't seem to be any wrong. But the dac chip is definitely 4493 not 4497.
It's the only one out of 7 that says 768. All the others say 384. It looks to me like a mistake in the marketing material that most shops corrected before they put it online.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's the only one out of 7 that says 768. All the others say 384. It looks to me like a mistake in the marketing material that most shops corrected before they put it online.
It's probably the only one who says 768khz is correct. You may contact SMSL for this. I believe it's 768khz.
And well, who should care about that when there's no 768khz recordings to be found.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's probably the only one who says 768khz is correct. You may contact SMSL for this. I believe it's 768khz.
And well, who should care about that when there's no 768khz recordings to be found.
yeah of course. It's all just marketing at this point.

Top Bottom