• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Moosi

Then I would get the replacement with cs8416 instead of the akm4118
Depending on the country you live in, you may have the legal right to demand a replacement which is identical to the one you bought. You can emphazise on this in your support request. If they cannot replace it with a AKM-equipted, you might get a refund instead.

ShinMolina

It's 125e with VAT on audiophonics
Audiophonics price with shipping is 133€. I will probably end up getting the E30 via Aliexpress for 110€ including VAT and shipping. For what I know, it was usually sold for 120-130€ in Aliexpress.

mokanu

Hey, folks!

I have some issues with E30, and im curious is it my unit or something else?

Most common one - after my computer wakes up from sleep i have no sound, despite of E30 being switched on and showing correct sampling rate etc. I have to switch E30 off and on to fix this. Happens every day.
More rare cases - one time E30 stopped producing music in the middle of playback, and other time it did not automatically switched on with the computer wake up.

My E30 has 1911 serial, updated to 1.08fw, did factory reset several times with no luck of solving problems.
It works via USB from MacBook with latest OS Big Sur 11.4. Powered by external 5v adapter (21W iPad charger).

First issue is quite annoying, and i dont know - would different (new) E30 work better. Or i should buy another DAC.

Thanks!

ShinMolina

Hey, folks!

Most common one - after my computer wakes up from sleep i have no sound, despite of E30 being switched on and showing correct sampling rate etc. I have to switch E30 off and on to fix this. Happens every day.
More rare cases - one time E30 stopped producing music in the middle of playback, and other time it did not automatically switched on with the computer wake up.

My E30 has 1911 serial, updated to 1.08fw, did factory reset several times with no luck of solving problems.
It works via USB from MacBook with latest OS Big Sur 11.4. Powered by external 5v adapter (21W iPad charger).

First issue is quite annoying, and i dont know - would different (new) E30 work better. Or i should buy another DAC.

Thanks!
I have had similar issues with my DX3 Pro. Once in a while, it shuts down without an aparent reason. I use it everyday for 8 hours approximately and it happens once a month or every two months.

For what I have heard, shis is a common issue among Topping devices. Sometimes it goes worse, but not usually. Mine has been working for three years with that problem only.

threni

Major Contributor
Hey, folks!

Thanks!
What happens if you cycle through the inputs? Can you try different power supplies?

datrumole

Hey, folks!

Thanks!

you can check to ensure that windows isnt cutting power to the device in the power saving settings in device manager

i have a IR usb dongle that gets shut down every so often, despite the settings being correct, but it helps minimize it for sure

Dimitry

Hi guys,
I need help.
After reading this forum I just bought E30 blue, I was looking for a version with AKM for a long time, I found it with a serial number 2101, I overpaid. Today I received it, the CDplayer plays without problems, but USB showing 45,15 dsd and not working at all. Please help how to make a global reset?
Or I should send back as faulty and never mess with topping again?

topE30error.jpg

Regards,
Dimitry

Moosi

I have been using MusicBee with ASIO, everything was great, I loved it. It was better sounding than every program with WASAPI (Tidal, Spotify).
Now I am with Roon Music Player ->DSP Upscaling everything to DSD256 (4096 Samples (in Topping control) / 7. Grades Clans / Linear, Precise / Native DSD) and the difference is just as big as going from the crappy internal Realtek DAC of my AS300-> to Topping E30. It is like a new DAC. Staggering difference. I never thought a music player could make this much of a difference. Even without the upscale it's huge, I can sense new (not only enhanced!!) background detail, more detailed bassline and even more "blackness" just as you would expect from a DAC upgrade. I am mindblown. Get the trial version of this music player (or find it "elsewhere") and try it for yourself. If you haven't already, please do, just do! :eek:
Today I received it, the CDplayer plays without problems, but USB showing 45,15 dsd and not working at all
Did you install the tyscom drivers from here? ->https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/517089.html

Last edited:

mokanu

What happens if you cycle through the inputs? Can you try different power supplies?

Nothing happens when i cycle through the inputs. Also Ive connected E30 in this "hang" state to another Mac - it wasn't able to play audio as well.
Trying different power adapter now. But it looks like boot issue.

threni

Major Contributor
Hi guys,
I need help.
After reading this forum I just bought E30 blue, I was looking for a version with AKM for a long time, I found it with a serial number 2101, I overpaid. Today I received it, the CDplayer plays without problems, but USB showing 45,15 dsd and not working at all. Please help how to make a global reset?
Or I should send back as faulty and never mess with topping again?

View attachment 139619
Regards,
Dimitry

To reset, press mute on the remote, then the standby button on the E30. How is the CD player connected? Have you tried different USB leads, connecting to different phones/laptops etc? Updated drivers on your pc (or use a linux device)?

ouimetnick

For those with issues, how old are your E30s?
I also do not notice any sound difference playing around with the F1 though F6 settings. As someone who lives by EEvblog's "don't turn it on, take it apaarrrt" moto, I cracked the front glass taking it apart. :( It seems that you have to enter through the back, slide the main board out slightly, and reach in with a very long "T" handle hex driver with a ball end to remove 2 screws securing a metal plate in place, and then the display slides out th front. There was no need to even remove the front glass, so either the construction has changed or previous posters were incorrect.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, there was a definite need to remove the glass. There are screws behind it that you cannot reach otherwise.

mokanu

With different power supply issue remains. Most often it happens when E30 stays in standby (sleep) mode overnight.

Im most interested if its my unit or its a common problem. Will new E30 work better or not.

Dimitry

To reset, press mute on the remote, then the standby button on the E30. How is the CD player connected? Have you tried different USB leads, connecting to different phones/laptops etc? Updated drivers on your pc (or use a linux device)?
Many thanks.
Definitely I'll try all the options.What I did:
- optic&coaxial: to CDplayer worked well
- USB - from the beginning not working (45,15 dsd)
- changed different power sources/leads and cables - not successful
- tried Raspberry player, directly from storage player - no luck
- connect Macbook and start the player, began to switch the option on E30 - Preamp/Dac many times, Hooray! wheezing appeared
- Start standard player on mac, music appeared but showing crazy format
I have made great progress in mastering Chinese technology, I will not give up ...

Regards,
Dimitry

threni

Major Contributor
With different power supply issue remains. Most often it happens when E30 stays in standby (sleep) mode overnight.

Im most interested if its my unit or its a common problem. Will new E30 work better or not.
My Pi/DAC/EQ/amp are all on the same power extension unit and so all get turned off simultaneously when not in use; auto-off is disabled I think but as the Pi is on whenever the DAC is it's a moot point. Maybe turning auto-off off is a fix/workaround?

threni

Major Contributor
Many thanks.
- connect Macbook and start the player, began to switch the option on E30 - Preamp/Dac many times, Hooray! wheezing appeared
I have made great progress in mastering Chinese technology, I will not give up ...

Regards,
Dimitry
Seeing 45.15 is normal in PCM/USB mode. (No I don't understand that either - isn't that a DSD thing? I have no DSD files). My DAC's in pre-amp mode so it changes to a volume (eg. -22.5) shortly after. Perhaps in DAC mode it doesn't. It's possible you don't have a problem!

misfits73

Do you get any indication on the display after doing the reset?How long do you have to press the buttons?

Dimitry

Hi,
I have the new E30 (january 2021) with AKM and the problem from the box.
Power supply's and leads is not helping for sure.
I suppose there is some problem with the recognition of the source signal.
Continue to investigate

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Seeing 45.15 is normal in PCM/USB mode. (No I don't understand that either - isn't that a DSD thing? I have no DSD files). My DAC's in pre-amp mode so it changes to a volume (eg. -22.5) shortly after. Perhaps in DAC mode it doesn't. It's possible you don't have a problem!
Many thanks.

Regards,
Dimitry
Actually it's normal. And correct sample rate should be displayed when using correct driver.
Unplug USB cable while installing the driver.

Dimitry

Do you get any indication on the display after doing the reset?How long do you have to press the buttons?

I haven't done a reset yet. Sound appeared after playing with different sources and switching preamp/dac
trying to understand what influenced it

Top Bottom