• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Vladetz

Actually I got 2011 s/n on dac ordered on 11.11

Yoyop

Thank you guys ! :) Gonna stack it with my new L30 coming from topping replacement :D
Do you guys use some audio stream (Tidal, Qobuz etc... ) if it's compatible bit-perfect (WASAPI or Asio) ? I'm looking for a good service with bit-perfect compatibility

Overseas

Major Contributor
Got my E30, serial no. 21...
Using it mainly with Tidal Premium on OTG.
Picking up some good differences vs Yamaha AS701 DAC, sound is a bit more present and clear, a bit more accent to voices and bass (punchier).

Waiting to pair it with L30.

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_183507.jpg
    IMG_20210202_183507.jpg
    814 KB · Views: 150

lordwerther

hi,

would this (e30) be superior to the khadas tone board 1 as a dac?
i already have the khadas connected to my pc as a dac and i was wandering if there would be any difference with the topping e30... ?

i want to try something else and i want to know if the e30 would justify the expense...

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
hi,

would this (e30) be superior to the khadas tone board 1 as a dac?
i already have the khadas connected to my pc as a dac and i was wandering if there would be any difference with the topping e30... ?

i want to try something else and i want to know if the e30 would justify the expense...
The E30 is a better DAC and a better value (case, remote, standalone capability), but in terms of whether or not you'll hear the difference, probably not.

Overseas

Major Contributor
30 is technically a bit BETTER than Khadas, as you can see in SINAD measurements in 1st page of thread. Its does not mean you will have a different sound. Still, the 2 DACs feature different chips AK VS ess Sabre, many people claim there are subtle differences.

vord

Hello.
Can someone tell me if the E30 is asynchronous ?
I quite can't find the answer..
I plan to plug it to a RP4 with usb.
Thanks.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi All,

I recalled reading phase reverse issue, which should be fixed.

May I know how people find out about phase issue? Is there a specific frequency for which I should listen?

I am asking because I hear something on E30 that I don't hear with Gustard x16. When playing back bagpipes high notes on x16, it is coming from front of me. But when same bagpipes notes are played from E30, it seems the notes come from everywhere and seems a bit out of place.

Thanks!

Edit: Using headphones no issue. Only with my speakers setup I have the issue.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
May I know how people find out about phase issue? Is there a specific frequency for which I should listen?

It was evident in needle pulse plots.

With some particular music and a good reference it can be audible to trained listeners that know what to look for.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
It was evident in needle pulse plots.

With some particular music and a good reference it can be audible to trained listeners that know what to look for.
Thanks!

How would you describe the hearing sensation of phase issue?

I don't hear it when using headphones setup. But with stereo speakers setup, when using E30, certain notes (loud high bagpipes notes) would feel like they are playing very close to both ears. With X16, same notes would appear on a stage in front of me.

companyja

Thanks!

How would you describe the hearing sensation of phase issue?

I don't hear it when using headphones setup. But with stereo setup, when using E30, certain notes (loud high bagpipes notes) would feel like they are playing very close to both ears. With X16, same notes would appear on a stage in front of me.

Try doing this test. I was surprised that I was able to hear the difference pretty much every time. The pauses between the strumming make it easy to tell for me.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Try doing this test. I was surprised that I was able to hear the difference pretty much every time. The pauses between the strumming make it easy to tell for me.
Just did it with headphones via my smartphone. 5 out of 5.
Could this be the reason I get "great" bass with x16 and not E30?

Screenshot_20210209-070954_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

companyja

Check with your speakers and see if you hear them the opposite way than your headphones or with the Gustard. If what was once original now sounds like inverted, that might mean the phase is.inverted on the RCA output. If it sounds the same as with the gustard, then phase is not the culprit

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Well, then that rules out that you have the same effect since you only seem to have it with speakers.
Just now I tested with my phone as player. I will try e30 soon. I read that for certain frequencies, the issue won't show with headphones. Only would show with speakers. Not sure exactly what frequency.

But did you hear my comment about bass? In X16 thread, I said my first impression about X16 is excellent bass, as compared to E30, when using headphones.

I also said X16 controls my stereo subs very nicely. Not something I recall E30 could do with my subs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom