• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

MRPR

Got our E30 from Aliexpress, £75/$100 not quite as big a saving with amazons current reduction but still better and much better than the £110 at the time. It's a 2011 serial number and works fine, tested all three inputs with it.

Is there anyway to get it to display anything other than the khz, basically from a glance so we can see what 'quality' we're getting (I know this isn't the point, but the person I got it for has asked). At the moment if it shows 44.1khz for an mp3 or 44.1hz for a flac there's no way to differentiate at a glance, even a way to see if 16/24bit?

Hello to everyone,

i want my piCorePlayer to be set to turn off the USB port connected to the E30 when piCorePlayer is turned off.
This would allow the E30 to go into standby mode.

Have any of you already done it and can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Thalis

Hello to everyone,

i want my piCorePlayer to be set to turn off the USB port connected to the E30 when piCorePlayer is turned off.
This would allow the E30 to go into standby mode.

Have any of you already done it and can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Have you set the E30 to A-O using the remote?

threni

Major Contributor
If by "turn off the player" is meant "power down the pi" then A-O should work.

Sorry, I try to be clearer: "turn off the player".

I have my E30 hooked up to a Raspberry Pi streamer, via USB. Since (at least by default), the USB bus remains powered as long as the RPi is on (which is 24/7), the E30 never goes into Standby mode. Not a huge deal, but it bothers me nonetheless.

threni

Major Contributor
Sorry, I try to be clearer: "turn off the player".

I have my E30 hooked up to a Raspberry Pi streamer, via USB. Since (at least by default), the USB bus remains powered as long as the RPi is on (which is 24/7), the E30 never goes into Standby mode. Not a huge deal, but it bothers me nonetheless.

You are not powering down the pi (perhaps you are simply quitting the player software running on it), therefore the E30 will sense there's a device connected, and will never go into standby.

You are not powering down the pi (perhaps you are simply quitting the player software running on it), therefore the E30 will sense there's a device connected, and will never go into standby.

thank you Threni x your answer, but in this post https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e30-dac-review.12119/post-419127 read that:

"Now when the music stops, after a short delay, the screen on the E30 goes to "Err" and then to a single orange dot (indicating Standby mode).
And the E30 wakes up just fine, when you start playing music."

unfortunately this tricks are for OS Raspbian and not for TinyCore.

threni

Major Contributor
thank you Threni x your answer, but in this post https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-e30-dac-review.12119/post-419127 read that:

"Now when the music stops, after a short delay, the screen on the E30 goes to "Err" and then to a single orange dot (indicating Standby mode).
And the E30 wakes up just fine, when you start playing music."

unfortunately this tricks are for OS Raspbian and not for TinyCore.
That's interesting. I had seen that before but it seemed very hacky and not 100% even on supported OSes. I'm tempted to give PiCore a go and see if I can reproduce my current setup using it, purely for the boot times. Conversely, maybe you could try using Raspbian - perhaps the tweak will work for you?

Have you tried? It’a just some Linux kernel and driver settings. They are likely to work on most raspberry distros.

unfortunately the rules for raspbian don't seem to be the same for tinycore: file /etc/udev/rules.d/usb-power.rules don't exist in tinycore and other file into same folder have numeric prefix ... also i'm a newbie of linux :-/

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
unfortunately the rules for raspbian don't seem to be the same for tinycore: file /etc/udev/rules.d/usb-power.rules don't exist in tinycore and other file into same folder have numeric prefix ... also i'm a newbie of linux :-/

That should still be fine.. there is bound to be a file for the USB subsystem in there. Numerical names are often used to have them executed in a specific order.

Last edited:

slartibart

Your posts are well timed. I had the same issue with piCorePlayer and seem to have fixed it with the help of the guys responsible for Squeezelite. Have a look here. The important posts are https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezelite/issues/114#issuecomment-733747460 and https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezelite/issues/114#issuecomment-734496116. You will need to install the uhubctl extension for the commands in the second post. My commands work for port 4 of a Pi 3B, if you are using a different Pi or different port then the commands will be different. Even without the uhubctl commands the udev rule will work if you unplug and replug the DAC after rebooting the piCorePlayer.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
It's a shame you cannot use the volume control in DAC mode (unless I'm missing something). Is there a technical reason why this is the case? It would be nice to leave the amp at a sensible maximum and dial it down from the remote.

wasnotwasnotwas

It's a shame you cannot use the volume control in DAC mode (unless I'm missing something). Is there a technical reason why this is the case? It would be nice to leave the amp at a sensible maximum and dial it down from the remote.
DAC mode is the same as max volume variable mode. Minus the ability to play native dsd.

EDIT - got my sentence the wrong way round. DAC mode plays native DSD , variable mode converts to PCM. There , crisis averted for all DSD fans getting nervosa.

Last edited:

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Put it in pre-mode then. The DAC still works in pre- mode and you can also control the volume.

threni

Major Contributor
Put it in pre-mode then. The DAC still works in pre- mode and you can also control the volume.

Thank you and @wasnotwasnotwas!

For some reason my pi couldn't "see" the E30 when I first plugged it in. It started working as soon as I switched it from the default preamp mode to DAC mode and I never switched it back.

Top Bottom