• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Taddpole

Any track from album "Page One" by Joe Henderson:

https://tidal.com/browse/album/77609767
  • Played on mConnect app, it shows 48kHz FLAC MQA 192kHz.
  • When renderer is a MQA capable device (LG G7 smartphone), uapp shows 192kHz MQA FLAC: 192kHZ
  • When renderer is my Android Box running UAPP feeding E30 by USB, the app shows 96kHz MQA FLAC: 192kHZ, and E30 display shows 96kHz PCM
  • When renderer is my Android Box running Neutron feeding E30 by USB, the app shows MQA 192kHZ, and E30 display shows 192kHz PCM
The source is always Tidal/mConnect app streaming via UPNP. It seems that Neutron is doing the MQA double unfolding and converting to PCM before sending the bitstream to E30...

View attachment 86664View attachment 86665

I think something else is going on, Neutron doesn't even mention tidal in play store info, and nothing on their website suggests it can unfold it.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
nothing in the measured performance which would correlate with the alleged sonic differences

I suppose it's possible that the subjective comparative reputation of these chips stems from a time when the ESS IMD hump was more common. That would at least provide a measurable basis for the alleged sonic differences.

Plcamp

I just ordered one of these...have a question...

What is the output impedance of the analogue rca’s?

Plcamp

Received it, sounds great.

But remote does not work at all from more than two feet away. Might have to return it.

update: Solved...the remote LED is bent upwards...that’s all it was!

anyway. Like this DAC, It’s very quiet and detailed. I use it between my Sony TV and a Hafler driving Paradigm Studio 100 v5’s. Beats the crap outta the tv’s internal DAC!
8A939A1E-DDCD-49CC-B83F-9A366A1617C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Ricky FR

Hello I want to buy this Topping E30. Is it relevant to feed it with IFI IPOWER? The gain on the sound will be noticeable or not ? Thanks From France

Plcamp

Mine is dead quiet powered by an android phone charger. And I do mean dead quiet...can’t hear anything with source muted and unit opened to 0 dB into a powerful amp...no noise at all even an inch away...remarkable.

edit: my charger is 5v, 2A rating

Last edited:

Ricky FR

Thank you for your answer, it will be connected to a Node 2i with a digital coaxial cable.
Advice for the cable brand ?

Ricky FR

I have a cell phone charger. I will do the test and I will see if necessary for Ifi Ipower

PyramidElectric

Mine is also completely silent with a standard Apple iPhone charger.

I used to have the Ifi ipower, whilst it might not put any 'noise' into the DAC, it kicks an insane amount of noise back into the mains, which then goes through the amp and speakers, and at least in my set up, this was very audiable.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is also completely silent with a standard Apple iPhone charger.

I used to have the Ifi ipower, whilst it might not put any 'noise' into the DAC, it kicks an insane amount of noise back into the mains, which then goes through the amp and speakers, and at least in my set up, this was very audiable.

Molina fan?

Plcamp

I don’t get this auto-critical-concern with power. Think about it. If a DAC IC is so damn susceptible to power suply noise...then it is a ****** IC. I think this is way way overblown.

if you have an unbalanced system, and you pay attention to making sure everything is powered exactly the wrong way...long ground loops, multiple ground loops...you could probably generate enough common mode noise to disrupt any product.

I mean really...do you actually believe the brilliant IC design teams, competing in the world for revenue from avid detail oriented and competent enthusiasts...do you think they ignore power supply susceptibility?

Do you think, for example, the engineers at Topping decided to leave the selection of power supply to utter novices, knowing that their choice would seriously affect performance?

I doubt it. I am not at the least surprised that literally ANY 5V supply will work just great.

but if you want to spend hundreds on a “cleaner” one...you are doing that on faith, not knowledge.

My dac : Topping E30 .
- Lineout usb : working OK - set 32/384 with foobar .
- Lineout coaxial ( DVD S838A ) : not woking upsampler 192 . ( FW : v-1.08 )
Help Me .
lineout usb.jpg
lineoutcoaxial.jpg

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you expect 192kHz from you DVD player? The manual does not mention any upsampling.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion : line in coaxial ( from dvd > topping e30 ) support 192khz .

Opinions never made anything work well. While it can output high res audio, it however does not do upsampling, so with native 192kHz material it could work. You’ll need a stereo DVD audio with a 192 kHz track to make it work.

It could btw very well be that the digital outs are limited to 96kHz. The optical out is usually limited to that sampling rate, and the coax is often coupled to the optical. Manual is not quite clear about it.

Edit: I was right, it can only do 96 kHz: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/520518/Pioneer-Dv-S88a.html?page=30&term=96&selected=7#manual

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
From Wikipedia:

The official allowed formats for the audio tracks on a DVD-Video are:
  • PCM: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit or 24 bit Linear PCM, 2 to 6 channels, up to 6,144 kbit/s; N. B. 16-bit 48 kHz 8 channel PCM is allowed by the DVD-Video specification but is not well-supported by authoring applications or players;

Jave

Does removing the stickers from the side (moving it to the box, for example...) voids warranty?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Does removing the stickers from the side (moving it to the box, for example...) voids warranty?
I doubt it, but it does expose the sticker underneath:

IMG_20201011_084140869.jpg

PS: Crazy gluing the L to the E makes for a tighter package. Really short interconnects are best.

Top Bottom