• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

vrobec

In this Topping E30 the left and the right channells are swapped on RCA outputs? Not hard too connect the left RCA to right connector on the amplifier, and the right RCA to left, but...... :(

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
In this Topping E30 the left and the right channells are swapped on RCA outputs? Not hard too connect the left RCA to right connector on the amplifier, and the right RCA to left, but...... :(
If anything is wrong is the other devices, not E30. Seeing from the front, you should be seeing left on the left, right on the right, same as majority of the products.

yodog

Thank you @JohnYang1997, you’re right of course. I had intended to point out that minimum phase has a much reduced group delay over linear phase. You may prefer this filter if you’re sensitive to transients and the leading edge of notes.

I’m experimenting with the super slow filter at the moment (filter 5) which measures terribly from a frequency perspective (it’s barely a filter), but has almost zero pre and post ringing, and is almost perfect in the time domain.

I’m not sure if the negative effects of the filter will be audible to me being so high in the frequency spectrum, so will closely monitor how relaxed my two dogs are :)

Are the slow filters (filters 2, 4, 5) any worry for causing damage to ones speakers when playing at very high (but responsibly high) volume?

Also, what exactly does the “short delay” mean? All I notice is a thicker bass note on sharp bass notes when using the short delay version filter. Would using the non short delay filter be easier going on my speakers?

yodog

i 'm just received my E30 this morning
i choose F1
it's better than else?

i like F3 or F4, can’t decide. F1 sounds very detailed and all but a bit unnaturally sharp and there is no decay or “air/space” in certain songs when you are pretty sure there should be, and because it’s absent when using filter 1, i find the impression that reminds me of when you have subwoofers that are out of phase with each other or with the main speakers and there is a serious null / cancellation of bass and you’re instantly thinking, well that isn’t right...

yodog

If anything is wrong is the other devices, not E30. Seeing from the front, you should be seeing left on the left, right on the right, same as majority of the products.

If anything I felt topping got it right and for example from personal experience, the bluesound node 2i has gotten it backwards....

MKW

@yodog
I agree with you about F1, subtly reminds me of listening to (most) B&W speakers - peircing.
I settled on F5 from logical and listening evaluation - just my taste. Sounds best to me in my system and room.

Also taped-over the Hi-Res sticker... had to be done to contain brightness after switching to pure silver Nordost USB cable.

Last edited:

yodog

@yodog
I agree with you about F1, subtly reminds me of listening to (most) B&W speakers - peircing.
I settled on F5 from logical and listening evaluation - just my taste. Sounds best to me in my system and room.

Also taped-over the Hi-Res sticker... had to be done to contain brightness after switching to pure silver Nordost USB cable.

Very cool. Now I will reassess filter 5 with more patience/less bias. All I remember was that filter 5 sounded very smooth and balanced, but the overall volume (or volume emphasis? If that even makes sense?) seemed noticeably less across the whole frequency spectrum and therefore I just assumed it wasn’t a keeper or worth investing listening time into since until you, I haven’t heard anyone saying they are choosing filter #5 as their final choice.

Does anyone know if these “Short Delay, Slow Rolloff” or “Super Slow Roll Off” filters could potentially damage someone’s loudspeakers when running full range and when played at or near reference level SPL?

If the answer is yes, would using “Sharp Rolloff” or “Short Delay, Sharp Rolloff” filters help minimize any potential risk of damage?

I’m asking because my speakers are rated for 39hz-23khz and the slow Rolloff filters seem to continue onward much past 23khz and even though my speakers say their range is 39hz-23khz, there is a very clear and audible difference between any of the sharp roll off filters versus any of the slow roll of filters.

I wouldn’t feel very good damaging my $5250 speakers because of an avoidable error from misusing/misconfiguring a $130 external DAC.

**Edit**
I just changed out my digital RCA cable to a pure silver cable as well (Wireworld Starlight Gold 7) and to be honest I am less than impressed. The previous Chroma 5 sounded different, but almost better using the same settings. Definitely will try out filter #5 for a few days and hope something works.

pogballistics

I suspect it has to do with how it is powered. I on purpose went with the "dirtiest" source of USB input.

I think I will settle for this one soon.
Can you please recommend how to cleanup the USB input cos I have no other option but use this as input.

danggitbai

Hi. Newbie here. I just bought the E30 (2006). If you won't mind me asking, how do I show the "DSD" when playing DSD files in Foobar? Mine shows "PCM" always. Thanks for any help. Really appreciate it.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
I already did.
You need to check the output options in Foobar too. Foobar is not the simplest program to configure. If you use WASAPI as an output make sure that DSD over PCM (DOP) is checked. If you use ASIO as an output make sure that the ASIO settings are configured to play DSD.

One thing is for sure it is not a problem with your DAC, but it is the settings in Foobar. Probably you are better off on a Foobar2000 forum, or start another thread in this forum about this issue. Otherwise it will go way off topic in this thread, because the settings in Foobar can fill a whole new discussion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom